Sign in with
Your question

Infinite Loop / Boot Mini-Dump

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 30, 2001 4:31:51 AM

Gigabyte 7DXR MoBo, 1700+ Athlon XP, 1GB PC 2100 DDR RAM (Mushkin), Elsa Gladiac 920 64MB GEForce 3 Graphics, 2 - 30GB Western Digital ATA 100 Drives, SoundBlaster Audigy and running Windows XP. Everytime I reboot my system creates a minidump (*.dmp) file even booting to safe mode. Also the system freaks sometimes and reports the graphics card has encountered an infinite loop causing system instability. Please any help is better than none.
December 30, 2001 8:14:08 AM

Do you have a sufficient powersupply (350 W at least)?
And do you've got all the latest drivers?

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek:  .
December 30, 2001 11:38:01 AM

Simple answer! You are experiencing the Via+nVidia+XP bug! <A HREF="http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=64" target="_new">Here</A> is the info! This was one of the main reasons I switched to an ATI card, believe it or not!

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
Related resources
December 30, 2001 12:20:28 PM

oh, christ amd_man, when you bought your card that wasnt an issue lol.

The via/xp bug started occuring when the 23.11 drivers were released, 99% of the time the bug goes away when you switch back to the 21.83 drivers.

if you look at the date of first posting I assure you it is AFTER you got your radeon8500.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
December 30, 2001 12:32:24 PM

lol, I had this problem ever since I installed Windows XP! lol, also I actually bought and installed my Radeon 8500 on Boxing Day! I had the problem before the 23.11 drivers! Matisaro, stop attempting to falsify everything I'm saying! I'm not lying you know! Please stop that!

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
December 30, 2001 12:35:45 PM

I bought it on special for $384 CDN or about $250 USD! A USD is currently about 1.54 Canadian dollars.

Agh, Matisaro, you do not know when I bought the Radeon 8500 and why. Don't go telling me when and why I bought it. I'm NOT lying! I'm not an idiot like AMDMeltdown, ok. I'm not an ATI troll or whatever! You wanna hear the whole story? Sure...

A a couple of months ago, either late October or early November, I went out and bought a router+WinXP. I tried to install WinXP but it wouldn't install, it would always freeze during installation. Rather than whining on Tom's Hardware like newbies, I decided to investigate the problem myself. I took out all my cards one by one and tested the WinXP install after each. It still wouldn't work. Then I realized it might be my graphics card. I replaced my Asus V7100 Pro with my old Voodoo4 and tried again! TaDa! It works. I put the Asus card back in after installation is complete. It worked! After testing a few games and stuff under WinXP, I had a lot of crashing. Infinite loop and stuff! I got tired of WinXP so I reformatted and installed WinMe a couple of weeks ago, which is why my benchmark for the GeForce2-MX400 is under WinMe. Then on December 21, when I saw that info I realized that it was a conflict with my card and motherboard. Before reading this, I was also considering a Hercules Prophet III (the original GeForce3, a Ti500 was just above my price range, and I refused to spend that much money on a graphics card just for gaming when the AIW Radeon 8500DV cost just as much and I care more about multimedia than games, I'm not exactly a hardcore gamer).
Just before my purchase, 2 or 3 days ago, I reformatted and reinstalled WinXP just to make sure it's a problem with my graphics card and not something else. Sure enough the same thing happened again. Anyway, I decided to get the Radeon 8500 on Boxing Day because it was on sale. Ten minutes later, I was home and in 5 minutes my card was up and running. As I expected the problem was gone!

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by AMD_Man on 12/30/01 09:52 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
December 30, 2001 12:41:55 PM

You had what problem? What was your previous videocard?

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
!