Kyro2 + celeron = crap?

Sihs

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My friend has just bought a 3d prophet 4500 graphics card. I tried it on my Athlon 1.33 and it works really good, scoring 2500 on 3dmark 2k1 (which is higher than my other friend with a P4 1.5GHz who gets 2000), 90+ fps on Quake 3 demo four @ 1024 max detail. So he took it back to his pc, a celeron 500MHz (via apollo 133a I think) and it refuses to score more than 35fps. Is it a driver thing or does the Kyro depend <b>that</b> bad on the processor? Does anybody get a better score using a similar cpu (celeron 400-600MHz)?
Thanks

Signature (up to 100 characters). You may use Markup in your signature

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Yes, the Kyro II is very processor dependent. I disagree with Matisaro, the Kyro II is not crap!

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

LoveGuRu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2001
i agree!it is not crap!it is crap you buy in a box!:p
naa j/k, if it had some better memory on it and more driver releases then one per year im sure it would make some cometition..or would it?

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>

Intel_inside

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
Don't listen to matisaro, he is a troll.

Kyro is not crap, however it is very cpu limited. A celeron 500 is a very slow cpu these days and is barely the minimum to even run new games properly with any video card.

<i>AMD's thermal protection: as seen in tom's burning chip video</i>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I agree, Matisaro IS DEFINITELY NOT A TROLL! Intel_inside however is. As I said before in some other thread, Matisaro does have some strong opinions on some things but he's not a troll.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
From a hardware standpoint, KyroII=crap. What most cards do in HARDWARE, it does in SOFTWARE, so you can put it in the same catagory at software modems and AC97 codec sound. Since it's a "soft" 3D card, your performance is 100% related to the capabilities of your processor. He might be better off with a TNT2 AGP. For sure he'd be better off with an MX400.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Yes, it's funny how trolls call others trolls when they know that they are the trolls! It's a widely accepted fact that Intel_inside is a troll since post#1! Matisaro on the other hand, has always been a respected member of the Tom's Hardware Community.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Yes, but if you have a 1GHz+ processor and want a cheap upgrade, Kyro II is great.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Quite true crash. However, the Kyro 2 does do certain things, and it also has a system that only processes what is necessary. IMO, if thsi was implemented into another vid card, it would speed things up.

My rice car will leave your R8500 in the dust!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
It is! It's just not implemented to the same extent! That's a part of what HyperZ/HyperZII/Light-speed arcitechure does.

Sihs

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The ironic thing is that he used to have a TNT2 Vanta AGP, so basically, it's a small upgrade for him.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Everyone else's reply pretty much shuts you up, so I dont need to say anything to you.

Run along little troll.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

athalus

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
here are a couple of fyi's on the kyro 2. i've built 2 machines using the card and it works fine in both. one is a 1ghz p3, 256mb pc 133 ram and the other a 933 p3 with 128mb of pc133 (my own). i put in another 256mb of ram in my p3, for a total of 384mb and it shut down my direct x hardware. i called hercules and with a couple of downloads it fixed the problem. i just built a new machine, an amd athlon xp 1700 w/256mb of pc2100, and it works fine. i'm planning on putting it back into the p3 as soon as i decide what to put into the amd.

the card works fine for the games i normally play, rpg's and rts' (gallatic battlegrounds is my current one.)

also note that the card has gone down $50 to $100 at my local comp usa, something to think about.

good luck

Intel_inside

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
yup, the price recently went down and I picked up one of these bad boys. Runs just great.

<i>AMD's thermal protection: as seen in tom's burning chip video</i>

G

For the record: I'm changeing my name to Kyro fanatic :)

Insanity: I ran a Kyro II(64mb) on a K6-2 350 with 32mb ram (Ali chipset) for a month or so, so i know about these things. It ran just fine.

The behavior of the Kyro II is very strange though. It is related to the processor speed. IMHO the processor speed determines the maximum fps on the card.

Here is the raw data: Quake III- turn everything down as far as you can. Now set the resolution to 320x240. Now move it up slowly, setting by setting.

This test yields a very interesting reesult: the card runs at 165fps at 320x240, at 164fps at 640x480, and at 158fps at 1024x768. <font color=blue>The total difference is 7fps!</font color=blue>. (Tests run on an AXP 1.46Ghz)

I noticed this as well when i was running the Kyro II on the K6-2 350: the fps would not go above 24 no matter what i tried and no matter what game i was running- Q1/Q2/Q3. Nor would it go down when i turned up the resolution or detail.

I've also had the opportunity to run a Kyro II on a PIII 600 and a Tbird 800. The fps does indeed scale with the processor speed.

The point is even though your Kyro/Kyro II will only run at oh say 60(?) fps, remember that you can push it up to 1024x768 or whatever resolution you like, and still run it at 60fps.

--------------------------
In anwser to your question, a Celeron 500 is really too little to run a Kyro II on. A processor 800-1000mhz is where the Kyro II works best. Everything above that yields excellent results but does not yeild the best price/performance ratio.
-------------------------------

:eek: <font color=blue>I for one run Quake 3 on a P133(No MMX)</font color=blue>I have no affiliatioin w/ Intel

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
ALpha, untill fill rate becomes your bottleneck, I guarentee a kryo 2 wont do rtcw at 1600x1200x32@70 fps regardless of what cpu you have.

The reason the fps is cpu limited is the cpu is doing all the t&l, this is not a positive thing, its a negative thing.

The kryo is equally priced to a gf2mx400, which will out perform the card most of the time. However for 30 bucks more you can get a gf2 ti which will completely devistate the kryo. There was a brief window when the kryo 2 was a good buy, that window has long since been slammed shut.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

G

OK OK im owner of a KyroII 64mb and I must admit its a rather strange graphics card. In some cases it goes like hell Q3 arena for instance but in other cases i hardly see the diffenrence between the kyroII and my V550. Maybe this is caused by my ancient P3-500 which is lacking processor speed.!

Sihs

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ok, my friend has just tested his Kyro2 in the following rig:
P3 750MHz 100 buzz(kidding)
via chipset based MoBo with agp 1x
It gave him a total score of 45fps using quake. That's a lot less than he was expecting for that cpu. Could agp 1x to 2x differ that much?