What I don't like about the Radeon 8500...

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Well after 4 days of playing around with the Radeon 8500, I'll list what I don't like about it, because it's a lot fewer things than what I do like about it.

1.) <b>OVERCLOCKING SUX!</b>
Sure, I can reach 300/300, but what's the point if my performance doesn't increase significantly. That barely gets me ~200 points in 3dMark2001. Forget it, it's not worth the hassle.

2.) <b>WINXP devours performance</b>
Under ideal conditions in Win98SE, a Radeon 8500 can beat a GeForce3 Ti500 in some tests but ATI really needs to work on those XP drivers!

3.) <b>Stuck with MMC7.1!</b>
Why hasn't ATI updated the MMC for the TV-WONDER yet? The last update was in July! A lot of new releases came out but none are TV-WONDER compatible. So now I'm stuck with the less than stellar MMC 7.1 for a while.

I guess those are my main beefs with the Radeon 8500. If ATI can release an updated driver to fix them, I'll be happy.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Not at all....

I know ATI will release a fix in very quickly.
The Radeon 8500 is an excellent card. All cards have pros and cons however. I thought this would be beneficial for people trying to consider between the cards.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Agh, I've tried ATI service. It's unbeatable! If they can have a to-your-door-exchange service then I know they'll fix the bugs.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Customer service does not provethe capability of their programmers. Also, consider that teh overclocking thing will still be there. Finally, do u realize that their processor, clock for clcok is weaker than the GF3's?

My rice car will leave your R8500 in the dust!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Finally, do u realize that their processor, clock for clcok is weaker than the GF3's?
You can only say that about the current drivers. That would also explain lack of increase in performance from overclocking. Clock for clock, the Radeon 8500 processor is superior to the GeForce3 without a doubt but the deciding factor in benchmarks is the memory architechure. It all comes down to two things: Bandwidth efficiency and driver efficiency

First of all, can ATI make solid drivers? I think so, but they need time. Secondly and more importantly, which technology is superior, Lightspeed architechure or HyperZ 2? That's the #1 deciding factor! No one can say for certain yet due to the immature nature of the drivers currently for the Radeon 8500. But as we saw with the Detonator XP drivers, the Radeon 8500 may in the end show off it's true strength. How long did it take nVidia to release the Dentontor XPs anyway (how long after the Geforce3 was released?)

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Thanks for the information, I've been debating on Ti200 or 8500 for some time now as a upgrade for my GTS. Everyone says the dvd playback is far beyond nvidias and I watch many dvds on my pc so thats a major draw. I dont really need anymore speed than I have now but wouldnt mind some and better image, the dvd is important to me. I love the GTS, its fast and stable, I use 4xFSAA on my dirt track racing sprint car game with 15 cars and its fast.

Whats the deal with that rice car signature about leaving a r8500 in the dust?
My firebird formula LT1 with 100shot of NOS will leave your Geforce3 in the DUST! actually my formula will leave your entire system and car in the dust.
What does that have to do with anything? BTW the formula with nos i really own.
for those who might be into cars as well as 'puters-
kb forged pistons, 1.6 alum roller rockers, 2800stall, ported and polished heads, flowmaster exhaust, moroso (k&n) intake kit, stock cam. I cant wait to find out 1/4mi time with my nos and slicks this spring!!!! die rice burners!

BTW I am using ATI MMC7.5 with my gts and TV wonder card, it works much better than 7.1 (i use XP). Check out my post under TV/Video cards I think I outlined everything to get it. You get transparency mode also for output if you have a ATI card with the tv wonder but none without.

Transparency mode is very cool to.

"dude your getting a dell", is that kid trying to say he wants to stick his 'dell' in you?

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Well, the Radeon 8500 is a very nice card. Sure, it has it's problems, but no card is perfect! All my favourite games play perfectly, silky smooth!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Also, the lack of major increase in performance might be the fact that my CPU is the bottleneck.

G

Ew cars!
mine,
70 Mustang Mach 1, 351 Windsor stroked to 427 CID, Speed demon 750 carb dual plane manifold, Air Flow Research aluminum heads, Forged everything in the engine, 9 inch Mark Williams rear end... 560 hp, 12.02 1/4 mile at 126 on street tires.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
It doesn't need the speed. It's just there to compete with nVidia, MHz-wise. You can't compare the hardware directly because the software (driver) isn't the same.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
BTW, kinney, that link to the MMC7.5 is done. By any chance, could you please post the setup file to a server or something. MMC7.1 is my worst complaint. If I get rid of it, I'll be a happy camper!

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Then Ati's software team blows. That's a very bad quality. By the time good drivers come out, GF4 will probably be on teh market, blowing away R9000 probably by then, with excellent drivers.

My rice car will leave your R8500 in the dust!

G

For 140,000 it better, for that much money i'd be runnning 6 second 1/4 miles

eden

Champion
I have always wondered why is overclocking vid cards so thrilling, while it merely gives any performance increase!
I dunno but when you look at the results, often they give out or literally "squeeze" 10 more FPS. Look at THG's overclockings, I dunno but Ocing vid cards just isn't that exctiting, even though the MHZ numbers seem big difference!
Same goes for the Rad 7500, look at its speed! More than the Ti500 and 8500, yet it's slower... but that we know why..

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
If the radeon8500 is clock for clock stronger than the gf3, how come a radeon @275/550 can barely keep up with a gf3 @240/500???

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

nexus_alpha

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2001
check this out :
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Thomas Bruckschlegel, from ToMMTi-Systems who is also a registered ATI developer has received a new XP driver set and ran some quick tests with those. The new version number is 6.13.10. 6011. Improvements:

3DMark 2001 Default:
:: 3286 - 6117 (Game 4 Nature: 27.2)
:: 6011 - 6250 (Game 4 Nature: 40.3)
FS 2002, Comanche 4 & Aquamark (Aquanox) problems fixed
Different issues with DVI/TV/VGA modes fixed
HyperZ II optimizations
---------------------------------------------------------------------

SOURCE : WARP2SEARCH

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Yes, obiviously those tests were done on a very weak system, flamethrower! Look at the overall 3DMark2001 scores! That's LOW!!! And stop comparing your monster card to the Radeon 8500, which is 1/3 the retail price.