Hi

I'm trying to obtain the Hotfix described here
(http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=892050), but it says I need to contact
Microsoft to obtain it. However when I try to generate a support request it
says they can't help as my version of Windows was supplied with my PC. All
I want is the Hotfix, I don't need to speak to a rep - why don't they just
provide it for download on the website??

Does any one know of any other way I can easily obtain this Hotfix?

Thanks

Alan

"Alan J Robertson" <ajr@nnnnooooosppaam.alanjrobertson.taanyway.co.uk> wrote
in message news:q2hQe.97711$G8.12361@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Hi
>
> I'm trying to obtain the Hotfix described here
> (http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=892050), but it says I need to contact
> Microsoft to obtain it. However when I try to generate a support request
> it says they can't help as my version of Windows was supplied with my PC.
> All I want is the Hotfix, I don't need to speak to a rep - why don't they
> just provide it for download on the website??
>
> Does any one know of any other way I can easily obtain this Hotfix?

Hotfix usage needs to be tracked so we can update you if we do a new version
of it and also to assess the impact of the problem and fix etc.
Please just call Product Support as detailed in the article, the will help
you ensure that you actually have the problem as detailed in the article and
that the hotfix is appropriate for you They will then supply the fix to
you.

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

"Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" <mikebran@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> "Alan J Robertson" <ajr@nnnnooooosppaam.alanjrobertson.taanyway.co.uk>
> wrote in message news:q2hQe.97711$G8.12361@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm trying to obtain the Hotfix described here
>> (http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=892050), but it says I need to
>> contact Microsoft to obtain it. However when I try to generate a support
>> request it says they can't help as my version of Windows was supplied
>> with my PC. All I want is the Hotfix, I don't need to speak to a rep -
>> why don't they just provide it for download on the website??
>>
>> Does any one know of any other way I can easily obtain this Hotfix?
>>

> Hotfix usage needs to be tracked so we can update you if we do a new
> version of it and also to assess the impact of the problem and fix etc.
> Please just call Product Support as detailed in the article, the will help
> you ensure that you actually have the problem as detailed in the article
> and that the hotfix is appropriate for you They will then supply the fix
> to you.

Hi Mike

Thanks for your very quick reply. The problem is that the article directs
me to call my computer manufacturer (as Windows came pre-installed) but
they've now gone bust - would I be able to call the main Microsoft support
number instead? - from looking at the site it seems that this would incur a
charge (£30 or so).

in message news:WHiQe.97763$G8.65710@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> "Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" <mikebran@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> "Alan J Robertson" <ajr@nnnnooooosppaam.alanjrobertson.taanyway.co.uk>
>> wrote in message news:q2hQe.97711$G8.12361@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I'm trying to obtain the Hotfix described here
>>> (http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=892050), but it says I need to
>>> contact Microsoft to obtain it. However when I try to generate a
>>> support request it says they can't help as my version of Windows was
>>> supplied with my PC. All I want is the Hotfix, I don't need to speak to
>>> a rep - why don't they just provide it for download on the website??
>>>
>>> Does any one know of any other way I can easily obtain this Hotfix?
>>>

>> Hotfix usage needs to be tracked so we can update you if we do a new
>> version of it and also to assess the impact of the problem and fix etc.
>> Please just call Product Support as detailed in the article, the will
>> help you ensure that you actually have the problem as detailed in the
>> article and that the hotfix is appropriate for you They will then supply
>> the fix to you.
>
> Hi Mike
>
> Thanks for your very quick reply. The problem is that the article directs
> me to call my computer manufacturer (as Windows came pre-installed) but
> they've now gone bust - would I be able to call the main Microsoft support
> number instead? - from looking at the site it seems that this would incur
> a charge (£30 or so).

Yes call our Product Support. Explain the situation and they should be able
to supply the hotfix.
This is usually a no charge call eventually.

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

> Yes call our Product Support. Explain the situation and they should be
> able to supply the hotfix.
> This is usually a no charge call eventually.

Many thanks, Mike - will do (on Tuesday when they re-open after the Bank
Holiday!)

Cheers

in message news:xRkQe.97817$G8.572@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

> "Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" <mikebran@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Yes call our Product Support. Explain the situation and they should be
>> able to supply the hotfix.
>> This is usually a no charge call eventually.
>
> Many thanks, Mike - will do (on Tuesday when they re-open after the Bank
> Holiday!)

Alan - PSS is 24/7/365. They are always there.

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

> "Alan J Robertson" <ajr@nnnnooooosppaam.alanjrobertson.taanyway.co.uk>
> wrote in message news:xRkQe.97817$G8.572@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>>
>> "Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" <mikebran@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Yes call our Product Support. Explain the situation and they should be
>>> able to supply the hotfix.
>>> This is usually a no charge call eventually.
>>
>> Many thanks, Mike - will do (on Tuesday when they re-open after the Bank
>> Holiday!)
>>

> Alan - PSS is 24/7/365. They are always there.

Mike - do you have any alternative number for them? - the UK support website
(http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&gprid=3221&) says 8am - 6pm
Mon-Fri
(0870 60 10 100) .

Cheers

Alan

Sorry - If you are not under an Essential or Premier support contract then
indeed you will have to operate under business hours.
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/services

--

Regards,

Mike