Widescreen vs regular

On a laptop, has anyone noticed if there are any differences with graphics on a widescreen vs a regular screen? Just wondering because as of tonite, Dell is shipping out a new laptop to my son, who just got his new laptop last wednesday. The graphics are terrible only in IE, not in Netscape or desktop. They ran all sorts of diagnostics, had him download the updated video driver (128 mb ATI Radeon 300?) and it's still blurry in IE. If this problem could be due to the widescreen, then he said he would break down and get a regular size screen instead.
--
Cyndi
32 answers Last reply

    Cyndi, I don't have a laptop widescreen but I do have a Dell UltraSharp 20"
    Widescreen LCD. I have no problems with blurry or fuzzy graphics or photos.
    Until I bumped up to the native resolution for this monitor, pictures were
    wider in proportion than they should be but not blurry.
    Try the Dell Forum at dell.com or google groups advanced search with
    keywords that describe the problem.

    "Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    On a laptop, has anyone noticed if there are any differences with graphics
    on a widescreen vs a regular screen? Just wondering because as of tonite,
    Dell is shipping out a new laptop to my son, who just got his new laptop
    last wednesday. The graphics are terrible only in IE, not in Netscape or
    desktop. They ran all sorts of diagnostics, had him download the updated
    video driver (128 mb ATI Radeon 300?) and it's still blurry in IE. If this
    problem could be due to the widescreen, then he said he would break down and
    get a regular size screen instead.

    I'm not real familiar with laptops let alone widescreen laptops, but
    a couple of thoughts come to mind in terms of why IE display
    quality might be less than what is produced by other apps.

    Is this IE only blurriness caused by motion, such as when he scrolls
    the window? If so, in IE go Tools->Internet Options->Advanced
    and find/uncheck the "use smooth scrolling" option and see if that
    helps.

    Does this blurriness only apply to images/pictures, and does it only
    apply to those which are loaded from remote [web]sites? If so, I'd
    suspect a dialup accelerator is reducing image quality in order to
    speed up downloads, and only IE is configured to use it. Adjust
    the accelerator's image compression settings.

    Does IE display blurry pictures no matter where they are loaded
    from? If so, what is the display DPI set to? Right click on desktop
    and click on Properties, then the Settings tab, then the Advanced
    button, and it is in the General tab. IIRC, when it is set to greater
    than 96 and the UseHR registry value is set to 1, IE will scale things
    up, thereby causing a reduction in image quality. UseHR, if it is set,
    can be accessed via RegEdit (Start->Run, enter "RegEdit" and
    click OK) and would be found under:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main

    Don't muck about with RegEdit unless you know what you are doing.
    If that is the issue he could live with it, set UseHR to 0 to turn off IE
    scaling of text & images, or run at 96 DPI and experiment with display
    resolution etc to see if he can get things the way he likes.

    "Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:sF4ve.1935$N22.225@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...
    On a laptop, has anyone noticed if there are any differences with graphics on a widescreen vs a regular screen? Just wondering
    because as of tonite, Dell is shipping out a new laptop to my son, who just got his new laptop last wednesday. The graphics are
    terrible only in IE, not in Netscape or desktop. They ran all sorts of diagnostics, had him download the updated video driver (128
    mb ATI Radeon 300?) and it's still blurry in IE. If this problem could be due to the widescreen, then he said he would break down
    and get a regular size screen instead.
    --
    Cyndi

    Cyndi,

    As I mentioned in my other post, if the graphics are ONLY bad in IE, then
    the hardware is likely fine. It's a setting with the dialup. I see you use
    prodigy, so I would call their help desk or if your son uses a different
    service call them.

    I have a Verizon wireless card, and when I turn on its speed up utility, the
    images look terrible.

    Tom
    "Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    On a laptop, has anyone noticed if there are any differences with graphics
    on a widescreen vs a regular screen? Just wondering because as of tonite,
    Dell is shipping out a new laptop to my son, who just got his new laptop
    last wednesday. The graphics are terrible only in IE, not in Netscape or
    desktop. They ran all sorts of diagnostics, had him download the updated
    video driver (128 mb ATI Radeon 300?) and it's still blurry in IE. If this
    problem could be due to the widescreen, then he said he would break down and
    get a regular size screen instead.
    --
    Cyndi

    Oh, I forgot to mention. My laptop is an Inspiron 9300 with a 17" wide
    screen. Images are perfect.
    "Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    On a laptop, has anyone noticed if there are any differences with graphics
    on a widescreen vs a regular screen? Just wondering because as of tonite,
    Dell is shipping out a new laptop to my son, who just got his new laptop
    last wednesday. The graphics are terrible only in IE, not in Netscape or
    desktop. They ran all sorts of diagnostics, had him download the updated
    video driver (128 mb ATI Radeon 300?) and it's still blurry in IE. If this
    problem could be due to the widescreen, then he said he would break down and
    get a regular size screen instead.
    --
    Cyndi

    He tried the tweak to the registry. It cleared up the graphics but left the text bad. When he tried to fix the text, he decided to get rid of the tweak. He scaled down to 96 dpi and scaled down from 1600 to 1200 on his resolution and the graphics are really nice, but he says the text looks "softened", but it's still better. He's just pissed that he cannot use something that he paid more money for at it's native resolution without having to downscale.
    --
    Cyndi
    "User N" <usern@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:5rOdnWrzb8kRvCDfRVn-vw@comcast.com...
    > I'm not real familiar with laptops let alone widescreen laptops, but
    > a couple of thoughts come to mind in terms of why IE display
    > quality might be less than what is produced by other apps.
    >
    > Is this IE only blurriness caused by motion, such as when he scrolls
    > the window? If so, in IE go Tools->Internet Options->Advanced
    > and find/uncheck the "use smooth scrolling" option and see if that
    > helps.
    >
    > Does this blurriness only apply to images/pictures, and does it only
    > apply to those which are loaded from remote [web]sites? If so, I'd
    > suspect a dialup accelerator is reducing image quality in order to
    > speed up downloads, and only IE is configured to use it. Adjust
    > the accelerator's image compression settings.
    >
    > Does IE display blurry pictures no matter where they are loaded
    > from? If so, what is the display DPI set to? Right click on desktop
    > and click on Properties, then the Settings tab, then the Advanced
    > button, and it is in the General tab. IIRC, when it is set to greater
    > than 96 and the UseHR registry value is set to 1, IE will scale things
    > up, thereby causing a reduction in image quality. UseHR, if it is set,
    > can be accessed via RegEdit (Start->Run, enter "RegEdit" and
    > click OK) and would be found under:
    >
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
    >
    > Don't muck about with RegEdit unless you know what you are doing.
    > If that is the issue he could live with it, set UseHR to 0 to turn off IE
    > scaling of text & images, or run at 96 DPI and experiment with display
    > resolution etc to see if he can get things the way he likes.
    >

    > "Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:sF4ve.1935$N22.225@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...
    > On a laptop, has anyone noticed if there are any differences with graphics on a widescreen vs a regular screen? Just wondering
    > because as of tonite, Dell is shipping out a new laptop to my son, who just got his new laptop last wednesday. The graphics are
    > terrible only in IE, not in Netscape or desktop. They ran all sorts of diagnostics, had him download the updated video driver (128
    > mb ATI Radeon 300?) and it's still blurry in IE. If this problem could be due to the widescreen, then he said he would break down
    > and get a regular size screen instead.
    > --
    > Cyndi

    He has a wireless card, but it is disabled right now since we don't have anything wireless to connect to and set it up......how do you change settings in a card?....We have SBC/Yahoo, so you think they might be able to fix this?
    --
    Cyndi
    "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message news:oFave.186028$w15.54000@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
    > Cyndi,
    >
    > As I mentioned in my other post, if the graphics are ONLY bad in IE, then
    > the hardware is likely fine. It's a setting with the dialup. I see you use
    > prodigy, so I would call their help desk or if your son uses a different
    > service call them.
    >
    > I have a Verizon wireless card, and when I turn on its speed up utility, the
    > images look terrible.
    >
    > Tom
    > "Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > On a laptop, has anyone noticed if there are any differences with graphics
    > on a widescreen vs a regular screen? Just wondering because as of tonite,
    > Dell is shipping out a new laptop to my son, who just got his new laptop
    > last wednesday. The graphics are terrible only in IE, not in Netscape or
    > desktop. They ran all sorts of diagnostics, had him download the updated
    > video driver (128 mb ATI Radeon 300?) and it's still blurry in IE. If this
    > problem could be due to the widescreen, then he said he would break down and
    > get a regular size screen instead.
    > --
    > Cyndi

    have you had to change anything from factory default?.....and someone else mentioned that it might be a problem of the "S" screen. This is the one he has.....the WSXGA
    --
    Cyndi
    "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message news:4Gave.186039$w15.15630@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
    > Oh, I forgot to mention. My laptop is an Inspiron 9300 with a 17" wide
    > screen. Images are perfect.
    > "Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > On a laptop, has anyone noticed if there are any differences with graphics
    > on a widescreen vs a regular screen? Just wondering because as of tonite,
    > Dell is shipping out a new laptop to my son, who just got his new laptop
    > last wednesday. The graphics are terrible only in IE, not in Netscape or
    > desktop. They ran all sorts of diagnostics, had him download the updated
    > video driver (128 mb ATI Radeon 300?) and it's still blurry in IE. If this
    > problem could be due to the widescreen, then he said he would break down and
    > get a regular size screen instead.
    > --
    > Cyndi

    Honestly, I suspect his 'tweaking' left a mess, as my widescreen is
    outstanding in both text and graphics.

    Might want to consider restoring. I think it is F12 at boot. Save his data
    first!!!

    Tom
    He tried the tweak to the registry. It cleared up the graphics but left the
    text bad. When he tried to fix the text, he decided to get rid of the
    tweak. He scaled down to 96 dpi and scaled down from 1600 to 1200 on his
    resolution and the graphics are really nice, but he says the text looks
    "softened", but it's still better. He's just pissed that he cannot use
    something that he paid more money for at it's native resolution without
    having to downscale.
    --
    Cyndi
    "User N" <usern@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > I'm not real familiar with laptops let alone widescreen laptops, but
    > a couple of thoughts come to mind in terms of why IE display
    > quality might be less than what is produced by other apps.
    >
    > Is this IE only blurriness caused by motion, such as when he scrolls
    > the window? If so, in IE go Tools->Internet Options->Advanced
    > and find/uncheck the "use smooth scrolling" option and see if that
    > helps.
    >
    > Does this blurriness only apply to images/pictures, and does it only
    > apply to those which are loaded from remote [web]sites? If so, I'd
    > suspect a dialup accelerator is reducing image quality in order to
    > speed up downloads, and only IE is configured to use it. Adjust
    > the accelerator's image compression settings.
    >
    > Does IE display blurry pictures no matter where they are loaded
    > from? If so, what is the display DPI set to? Right click on desktop
    > and click on Properties, then the Settings tab, then the Advanced
    > button, and it is in the General tab. IIRC, when it is set to greater
    > than 96 and the UseHR registry value is set to 1, IE will scale things
    > up, thereby causing a reduction in image quality. UseHR, if it is set,
    > can be accessed via RegEdit (Start->Run, enter "RegEdit" and
    > click OK) and would be found under:
    >
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
    >
    > Don't muck about with RegEdit unless you know what you are doing.
    > If that is the issue he could live with it, set UseHR to 0 to turn off IE
    > scaling of text & images, or run at 96 DPI and experiment with display
    > resolution etc to see if he can get things the way he likes.
    >

    > "Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > On a laptop, has anyone noticed if there are any differences with graphics
    > on a widescreen vs a regular screen? Just wondering
    > because as of tonite, Dell is shipping out a new laptop to my son, who
    > just got his new laptop last wednesday. The graphics are
    > terrible only in IE, not in Netscape or desktop. They ran all sorts of
    > diagnostics, had him download the updated video driver (128
    > mb ATI Radeon 300?) and it's still blurry in IE. If this problem could be
    > due to the widescreen, then he said he would break down
    > and get a regular size screen instead.
    > --
    > Cyndi

    Wireless was just my example. Is it SBC/Yahoo DSL or dialup.

    And yes, I'd call them.

    Tom
    He has a wireless card, but it is disabled right now since we don't have
    anything wireless to connect to and set it up......how do you change
    settings in a card?....We have SBC/Yahoo, so you think they might be able to
    fix this?
    --
    Cyndi
    > Cyndi,
    >
    > As I mentioned in my other post, if the graphics are ONLY bad in IE, then
    > the hardware is likely fine. It's a setting with the dialup. I see you
    > use
    > prodigy, so I would call their help desk or if your son uses a different
    > service call them.
    >
    > I have a Verizon wireless card, and when I turn on its speed up utility,
    > the
    > images look terrible.
    >
    > Tom
    > "Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > On a laptop, has anyone noticed if there are any differences with graphics
    > on a widescreen vs a regular screen? Just wondering because as of tonite,
    > Dell is shipping out a new laptop to my son, who just got his new laptop
    > last wednesday. The graphics are terrible only in IE, not in Netscape or
    > desktop. They ran all sorts of diagnostics, had him download the updated
    > video driver (128 mb ATI Radeon 300?) and it's still blurry in IE. If
    > this
    > problem could be due to the widescreen, then he said he would break down
    > and
    > get a regular size screen instead.
    > --
    > Cyndi

    It's DSL.......thanks for the suggestion, will call them today

    --
    Cyndi
    "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message news:b4eve.115949$VH2.44158@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
    > Wireless was just my example. Is it SBC/Yahoo DSL or dialup.
    >
    > And yes, I'd call them.
    >
    > Tom
    > "Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > He has a wireless card, but it is disabled right now since we don't have
    > anything wireless to connect to and set it up......how do you change
    > settings in a card?....We have SBC/Yahoo, so you think they might be able to
    > fix this?
    > --
    > Cyndi
    > > Cyndi,
    > >
    > > As I mentioned in my other post, if the graphics are ONLY bad in IE, then
    > > the hardware is likely fine. It's a setting with the dialup. I see you
    > > use
    > > prodigy, so I would call their help desk or if your son uses a different
    > > service call them.
    > >
    > > I have a Verizon wireless card, and when I turn on its speed up utility,
    > > the
    > > images look terrible.
    > >
    > > Tom
    > > "Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > > On a laptop, has anyone noticed if there are any differences with graphics
    > > on a widescreen vs a regular screen? Just wondering because as of tonite,
    > > Dell is shipping out a new laptop to my son, who just got his new laptop
    > > last wednesday. The graphics are terrible only in IE, not in Netscape or
    > > desktop. They ran all sorts of diagnostics, had him download the updated
    > > video driver (128 mb ATI Radeon 300?) and it's still blurry in IE. If
    > > this
    > > problem could be due to the widescreen, then he said he would break down
    > > and
    > > get a regular size screen instead.
    > > --
    > > Cyndi

    Dell is sending out a new one next week. The only tweak he did was change the one value in the registry and then change it back........have you changed any of your setting from their "native" settings? And which wide screen do you have? He has the 15.4, WSXGA.....for some reason, he said he HAD to have the WSXGA, not the WXGA or WUGA

    --
    Cyndi
    "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message news:H3eve.115948$VH2.10237@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
> [...]
    > >
    > > Don't muck about with RegEdit unless you know what you are doing.
    > > If that is the issue he could live with it, set UseHR to 0 to turn off IE
    > > scaling of text & images, or run at 96 DPI and experiment with display
    > > resolution etc to see if he can get things the way he likes.
    > >

    > > "Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > > On a laptop, has anyone noticed if there are any differences with graphics
    > > on a widescreen vs a regular screen? Just wondering
    > > because as of tonite, Dell is shipping out a new laptop to my son, who
    > > just got his new laptop last wednesday. The graphics are
    > > terrible only in IE, not in Netscape or desktop. They ran all sorts of
    > > diagnostics, had him download the updated video driver (128
    > > mb ATI Radeon 300?) and it's still blurry in IE. If this problem could be
    > > due to the widescreen, then he said he would break down

    Well if you turn UseHR off, the fixed size fonts used by certain websites
    (like www.cnn.com ) won't be scaled up and they may appear too small
    for one's liking. Also, IIRC, the relative fonts used by some websites
    (like www.washingtonpost.com ) won't be effected and will remain large,
    and thus text will appear disproportionally large wrt images. Perhaps that
    is what you meant when you said "left the text bad"? Try to be [more]
    specific when you are describing these things.

    "Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:yKdve.3898$Bx6.2767@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
    He tried the tweak to the registry. It cleared up the graphics but left the text bad. When he tried to fix the text, he decided to
    get rid of the tweak. He scaled down to 96 dpi and scaled down from 1600 to 1200 on his resolution and the graphics are really
    nice, but he says the text looks "softened", but it's still better. He's just pissed that he cannot use something that he paid more
    money for at it's native resolution without having to downscale.

    Cyndi,

    You are posting multiple queries on the same subject. It's difficult to
    stay on the topic and review all the replies to your posts when they are
    strung out like this. But, regarding your apparent problem with your Dell
    laptop and screen resolution, yes it is advised to remain with the native
    resolution of the laptop. I, too, have an Inspiron 9300 with the 17"
    widescreen, have made no changes other than dpi to 125% and the screen is
    awesome. I do have clear type enabled. Text is crisp, sharp and clear.
    Graphics are incredibly good! Movies on this thing are impressive for a 17"
    screen.

    A couple of things do come to mind. Does your son wear corrective lenses of
    any kind, glasses or contacts? What is his viewing distance from the
    screen? What are the ambient lighting characteristics where the laptop is
    being used?

    have you had to change anything from factory default?.....and someone else
    mentioned that it might be a problem of the "S" screen. This is the one he
    has.....the WSXGA
    --
    Cyndi
    > Oh, I forgot to mention. My laptop is an Inspiron 9300 with a 17" wide
    > screen. Images are perfect.
    > "Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > On a laptop, has anyone noticed if there are any differences with graphics
    > on a widescreen vs a regular screen? Just wondering because as of tonite,
    > Dell is shipping out a new laptop to my son, who just got his new laptop
    > last wednesday. The graphics are terrible only in IE, not in Netscape or
    > desktop. They ran all sorts of diagnostics, had him download the updated
    > video driver (128 mb ATI Radeon 300?) and it's still blurry in IE. If
    > this
    > problem could be due to the widescreen, then he said he would break down
    > and
    > get a regular size screen instead.
    > --
    > Cyndi

    Mine is 17". It's 1440x800. Not sure which Wxxxx that is

    I didn't change anything.
> [...]

    > > If that is the issue he could live with it, set UseHR to 0 to turn off
    > > IE
    > > scaling of text & images, or run at 96 DPI and experiment with display
    > > resolution etc to see if he can get things the way he likes.
    > >

    > > "Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > > On a laptop, has anyone noticed if there are any differences with
    > > graphics
    > > on a widescreen vs a regular screen? Just wondering
    > > because as of tonite, Dell is shipping out a new laptop to my son, who
    > > just got his new laptop last wednesday. The graphics are
    > > terrible only in IE, not in Netscape or desktop. They ran all sorts of
    > > diagnostics, had him download the updated video driver (128
    > > mb ATI Radeon 300?) and it's still blurry in IE. If this problem could
    > > be
    > > due to the widescreen, then he said he would break down

    No, he doesn't wear glasses. The lighting is not great over his desk and that's where he has it right now. Where he has the most problem with the graphics is on IE, and nowhere else. By scaling down the resolution and dpi, the graphics cleared up, the text is still good, cleartype is on but he says it looks "softened", not crisp like it was when it was working on native resolution. I'm just trying to figure out where they problem might be, from it being a widescreen instead of smaller screen, from the resolution of this screen being larger then it might have to be, things like that. I watched a DVD on it last night after being scaled down and it looks "all right", that's about all I can say about it. It looked grainy to me, a little fuzzy, but then again, I had to ask him how it looked because my eyes are a lot older than his <s>......but he did agree with me. At the native resolution, the DVD was fantastic, but then we get back to the same original problem.
    --
    Cyndi
    "Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:NDnve.40$5J6.12830@news.uswest.net...
    > Cyndi,
    >
    > You are posting multiple queries on the same subject. It's difficult to
    > stay on the topic and review all the replies to your posts when they are
    > strung out like this. But, regarding your apparent problem with your Dell
    > laptop and screen resolution, yes it is advised to remain with the native
    > resolution of the laptop. I, too, have an Inspiron 9300 with the 17"
    > widescreen, have made no changes other than dpi to 125% and the screen is
    > awesome. I do have clear type enabled. Text is crisp, sharp and clear.
    > Graphics are incredibly good! Movies on this thing are impressive for a 17"
    > screen.
    >
    > A couple of things do come to mind. Does your son wear corrective lenses of
    > any kind, glasses or contacts? What is his viewing distance from the
    > screen? What are the ambient lighting characteristics where the laptop is
    > being used?
    >
    > "Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > have you had to change anything from factory default?.....and someone else
    > mentioned that it might be a problem of the "S" screen. This is the one he
    > has.....the WSXGA
    > --
    > Cyndi
    > > Oh, I forgot to mention. My laptop is an Inspiron 9300 with a 17" wide
    > > screen. Images are perfect.
    > > "Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > > On a laptop, has anyone noticed if there are any differences with graphics
    > > on a widescreen vs a regular screen? Just wondering because as of tonite,
    > > Dell is shipping out a new laptop to my son, who just got his new laptop
    > > last wednesday. The graphics are terrible only in IE, not in Netscape or
    > > desktop. They ran all sorts of diagnostics, had him download the updated
    > > video driver (128 mb ATI Radeon 300?) and it's still blurry in IE. If
    > > this
    > > problem could be due to the widescreen, then he said he would break down
    > > and
    > > get a regular size screen instead.
    > > --
    > > Cyndi

    Cyndi,

    Your problem is with the settings in Internet Explorer. I would place all
    the settings for the laptop display back at their respective defaults and
    then dig into the options for IE. All graphics and text in IE on my
    Inspiron 9300 are perfect.

    "Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:0uove.45$5J6.13238@news.uswest.net...
    > Cyndi,
    >
    > Your problem is with the settings in Internet Explorer. I would place all
    > the settings for the laptop display back at their respective defaults and
    > then dig into the options for IE. All graphics and text in IE on my
    > Inspiron 9300 are perfect.

    The problem is that bitmapped/raster graphics don't scale [up] very well.

    Can you explain that? I don't understand.
    --
    Cyndi
    "User N" <usern@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:ANSdnaPr388ivCPfRVn-oA@comcast.com...

    > "Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:0uove.45$5J6.13238@news.uswest.net...
    > > Cyndi,
    > >
    > > Your problem is with the settings in Internet Explorer. I would place all
    > > the settings for the laptop display back at their respective defaults and
    > > then dig into the options for IE. All graphics and text in IE on my
    > > Inspiron 9300 are perfect.
    >
    > The problem is that bitmapped/raster graphics don't scale [up] very well.

    Pedantic moment, sorry. Given that turning UseHR off solved your
    IE graphics problem, I'm inclined to think that the poor image quality
    you spoke of was in fact due to IE image scaling. Like I said, I'm
    not very familiar with notebooks, and I haven't actually seen just how
    bad it looks on a small hi-res screen. But I've experimented and seen
    what it looks like on CRTs and desktop LCDs and it ain't pretty. I've
    tried it on several different systems and things are the same, and back
    when I looked into it I didn't come across any tricks for coaxing IE
    into using a higher quality scaling algorithm. Which makes me think it
    is an inherent limitation. However, I did recently coming across this
    "Dell Internet Explorer Scaling Utility":

    http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&releaseid=R98539&SystemID=INS_PNT_P4_XPS_GEN2&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=4984&devlib=0&typecnt=1&vercnt=1&formatcnt=1&fileid=127677

    I haven't tried it, and the description doesn't make a whole lotta sense,
    but who knows... maybe it would prove usefull in some way.

    "Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:CFqve.4154$Bx6.2145@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
    Can you explain that? I don't understand.

    -snip-

    Can you suggest what options? Nothing has been touched in IE to affect any changes.....and I've been noticing from all the posts that all who have the 9300 have no problems, yet when I go into the Dell forums, it's the people with the 6000 that are having these same problems.
    --
> [...]
    > > Cyndi
    > > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
    > > > Oh, I forgot to mention. My laptop is an Inspiron 9300 with a 17" wide
    > > > screen. Images are perfect.
    > > > "Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > > > On a laptop, has anyone noticed if there are any differences with
    > > > graphics
    > > > on a widescreen vs a regular screen? Just wondering because as of
    > > > tonite,
    > > > Dell is shipping out a new laptop to my son, who just got his new laptop
    > > > last wednesday. The graphics are terrible only in IE, not in Netscape or
    > > > desktop. They ran all sorts of diagnostics, had him download the
    > > > updated
    > > > video driver (128 mb ATI Radeon 300?) and it's still blurry in IE. If
    > > > this
    > > > problem could be due to the widescreen, then he said he would break down

    Cyndi, I wonder if you switched to FireFox for your browser if it would
    eliminate the problem?
    Monica
    Can you suggest what options? Nothing has been touched in IE to affect any
    changes.....and I've been noticing from all the posts that all who have the
    9300 have no problems, yet when I go into the Dell forums, it's the people
    with the 6000 that are having these same problems.

    My son found that switching to Netscape solved the problem, so I think I can assume that switching to Firefox would do it too. He designs websites and does them compatible with IE, including his own, and I guess that's why he wants to stick with IE.

    --
    Cyndi
    "Monica" <monicakm@cox-internet.com> wrote in message news:LXtve.29192$%Z2.15525@lakeread08...
    > Cyndi, I wonder if you switched to FireFox for your browser if it would
    > eliminate the problem?
    > Monica
    > "Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > Can you suggest what options? Nothing has been touched in IE to affect any
    > changes.....and I've been noticing from all the posts that all who have the
    > 9300 have no problems, yet when I go into the Dell forums, it's the people
    > with the 6000 that are having these same problems.

    Then, as others have suggested, he needs to
    play with the settings in IE with the display
    set on the native resolution. Trying to fix an IE
    problem with display changes is guaranteed to
    not work.

    My son found that switching to Netscape solved the problem, so I think I
    can assume that switching to Firefox would do it too. He designs
    websites and does them compatible with IE, including his own, and I
    guess that's why he wants to stick with IE.

    --
    Cyndi
    "Monica" <monicakm@cox-internet.com> wrote in message
    > Cyndi, I wonder if you switched to FireFox for your browser if it
    > would
    > eliminate the problem?
    > Monica
    > "Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > Can you suggest what options? Nothing has been touched in IE to
    > affect any
    > changes.....and I've been noticing from all the posts that all who
    > have the
    > 9300 have no problems, yet when I go into the Dell forums, it's the
    > people
    > with the 6000 that are having these same problems.

    Thanks, I'll check this out.

    --
    Cyndi
    "User N" <usern@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:9qSdnRPI9_6o-CPfRVn-jg@comcast.com...
    > Pedantic moment, sorry. Given that turning UseHR off solved your
    > IE graphics problem, I'm inclined to think that the poor image quality
    > you spoke of was in fact due to IE image scaling. Like I said, I'm
    > not very familiar with notebooks, and I haven't actually seen just how
    > bad it looks on a small hi-res screen. But I've experimented and seen
    > what it looks like on CRTs and desktop LCDs and it ain't pretty. I've
    > tried it on several different systems and things are the same, and back
    > when I looked into it I didn't come across any tricks for coaxing IE
    > into using a higher quality scaling algorithm. Which makes me think it
    > is an inherent limitation. However, I did recently coming across this
    > "Dell Internet Explorer Scaling Utility":
    >
    > http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&releaseid=R98539&SystemID=INS_PNT_P4_XPS_GEN2&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=4984&devlib=0&typecnt=1&vercnt=1&formatcnt=1&fileid=127677
    >
    > I haven't tried it, and the description doesn't make a whole lotta sense,
    > but who knows... maybe it would prove usefull in some way.
    >

    > "Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:CFqve.4154$Bx6.2145@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
    > Can you explain that? I don't understand.
    >
    > -snip-

    I never even knew that something like this could ever be needed. His problem in IE is with the graphics, tho, and not the text and this seems to be what the download suggests it is for.
    --
    Cyndi
    "Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:FTyve.25$0V3.20@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
    Thanks, I'll check this out.

    --
    Cyndi
    "User N" <usern@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:9qSdnRPI9_6o-CPfRVn-jg@comcast.com...
    > Pedantic moment, sorry. Given that turning UseHR off solved your
    > IE graphics problem, I'm inclined to think that the poor image quality
    > you spoke of was in fact due to IE image scaling. Like I said, I'm
    > not very familiar with notebooks, and I haven't actually seen just how
    > bad it looks on a small hi-res screen. But I've experimented and seen
    > what it looks like on CRTs and desktop LCDs and it ain't pretty. I've
    > tried it on several different systems and things are the same, and back
    > when I looked into it I didn't come across any tricks for coaxing IE
    > into using a higher quality scaling algorithm. Which makes me think it
    > is an inherent limitation. However, I did recently coming across this
    > "Dell Internet Explorer Scaling Utility":
    >
    > http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&releaseid=R98539&SystemID=INS_PNT_P4_XPS_GEN2&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=4984&devlib=0&typecnt=1&vercnt=1&formatcnt=1&fileid=127677
    >
    > I haven't tried it, and the description doesn't make a whole lotta sense,
    > but who knows... maybe it would prove usefull in some way.
    >

    > "Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:CFqve.4154$Bx6.2145@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
    > Can you explain that? I don't understand.
    >
    > -snip-

  26. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    I took a quick look at it, and the only thing I noticed it doing
    was manipulating the UseHR registry value. IOW, I think it
    is just a helper application meant to eliminate the need to edit
    the registry by hand.

    "Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:bOzve.39$0V3.6@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
    I never even knew that something like this could ever be needed. His problem in IE is with the graphics, tho, and not the text and
    this seems to be what the download suggests it is for.
  27. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Which settings are you referring to in IE?
    --
    Cyndi
    "Pen" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:bOWdnTWrJOINVSPfRVn-3w@adelphia.com...
    > Then, as others have suggested, he needs to
    > play with the settings in IE with the display
    > set on the native resolution. Trying to fix an IE
    > problem with display changes is guaranteed to
    > not work.
    >
    > "Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > My son found that switching to Netscape solved the problem, so I think I
    > can assume that switching to Firefox would do it too. He designs
    > websites and does them compatible with IE, including his own, and I
    > guess that's why he wants to stick with IE.
    >
    > --
    > Cyndi
    > "Monica" <monicakm@cox-internet.com> wrote in message
    > > Cyndi, I wonder if you switched to FireFox for your browser if it
    > > would
    > > eliminate the problem?
    > > Monica
    > > "Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > > Can you suggest what options? Nothing has been touched in IE to
    > > affect any
    > > changes.....and I've been noticing from all the posts that all who
    > > have the
    > > 9300 have no problems, yet when I go into the Dell forums, it's the
    > > people
    > > with the 6000 that are having these same problems.

  28. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Why isn't your son asking these questions? As a web
    site developer he should be worrying more about these
    alleged problems not mom who answers suggestions with
    questions.

    Which settings are you referring to in IE?
    --
    Cyndi
    "Pen" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Then, as others have suggested, he needs to
    > play with the settings in IE with the display
    > set on the native resolution. Trying to fix an IE
    > problem with display changes is guaranteed to
    > not work.
    >
    > "Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > My son found that switching to Netscape solved the problem, so I think
    > can assume that switching to Firefox would do it too. He designs
    > websites and does them compatible with IE, including his own, and I
    > guess that's why he wants to stick with IE.
    >
    > --
    > Cyndi
    > "Monica" <monicakm@cox-internet.com> wrote in message
    > > Cyndi, I wonder if you switched to FireFox for your browser if it
    > > would
    > > eliminate the problem?
    > > Monica
    > > "Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > > Can you suggest what options? Nothing has been touched in IE to
    > > affect any
    > > changes.....and I've been noticing from all the posts that all who
    > > have the
    > > 9300 have no problems, yet when I go into the Dell forums, it's the
    > > people
    > > with the 6000 that are having these same problems.

  29. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    gee, I thought I would just help him. He's 18, going into college and I told him I would find out.
    --
    Cyndi
    "Pen" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:KIKdnUwLZOYtSyPfRVn-gg@adelphia.com...
    > Why isn't your son asking these questions? As a web
    > site developer he should be worrying more about these
    > alleged problems not mom who answers suggestions with
    > questions.
    >
    > "Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > Which settings are you referring to in IE?
    > --
    > Cyndi
    > "Pen" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > Then, as others have suggested, he needs to
    > > play with the settings in IE with the display
    > > set on the native resolution. Trying to fix an IE
    > > problem with display changes is guaranteed to
    > > not work.
    > >
    > > "Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > > My son found that switching to Netscape solved the problem, so I think
    > > can assume that switching to Firefox would do it too. He designs
    > > websites and does them compatible with IE, including his own, and I
    > > guess that's why he wants to stick with IE.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Cyndi
    > > "Monica" <monicakm@cox-internet.com> wrote in message
    > > > Cyndi, I wonder if you switched to FireFox for your browser if it
    > > > would
    > > > eliminate the problem?
    > > > Monica
    > > > "Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > > > Can you suggest what options? Nothing has been touched in IE to
    > > > affect any
    > > > changes.....and I've been noticing from all the posts that all who
    > > > have the
    > > > 9300 have no problems, yet when I go into the Dell forums, it's the
    > > > people
    > > > with the 6000 that are having these same problems.

  30. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    As some others have said, text will typically only look crisp in the
    panels native resolution. If text is then too small on web pages,
    changing the Windows dpi (ie, in Display Settings > Properties >
    Advanced ) may help read the text but that then can cause other
    problems such as text overflowing areas, weird wrapping, etc.

    And, similarly, using higher or lower font sizes by using IE's View >
    Text Size can also cause problems. So can using IE's Internet
    Options > Accessibility > Ignore font sizes specified on web pages
    which is otherwise nice because it overrides text that is too tiny but
    unaffected by View > Text Size.
  31. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    In doing some more reading, it seems that Netscape may have installed web
    excellerator. In theory, the web is faster, but with fuzzy images.

    See if that is installed.

    Tom
    >I took a quick look at it, and the only thing I noticed it doing
    > was manipulating the UseHR registry value. IOW, I think it
    > is just a helper application meant to eliminate the need to edit
    > the registry by hand.
    >
    > "Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > I never even knew that something like this could ever be needed. His
    > problem in IE is with the graphics, tho, and not the text and this seems
    > to be what the download suggests it is for.

  32. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    thanks.
    --
    Cyndi
    "Markeau" <please_reply@news.group> wrote in message news:TpWdnSWaR9ALiyLfRVn-jA@giganews.com...
    > As some others have said, text will typically only look crisp in the
    > panels native resolution. If text is then too small on web pages,
    > changing the Windows dpi (ie, in Display Settings > Properties >
    > Advanced ) may help read the text but that then can cause other
    > problems such as text overflowing areas, weird wrapping, etc.
    >
    > And, similarly, using higher or lower font sizes by using IE's View >
    > Text Size can also cause problems. So can using IE's Internet
    > Options > Accessibility > Ignore font sizes specified on web pages
    > which is otherwise nice because it overrides text that is too tiny but
    > unaffected by View > Text Size.

Dell Laptops Internet Explorer Computers