Unable to rename Partitions- understand Admin rights but t..

Charlie

I am reasonably comp competent, able to fix most things but this one has me
stumped.
H/D is partitioned into 4 primary. 1st part is for op sys. 2nd and 3rd is
for storage for users, 4th is storage for ghost image
Heres how it goes, A fresh XP Home install to partition 1. During the
install, enter 3 users and everything is fine.
I understand the principal of Administrator rights and all 3 users had admin
rights.
Logging in under different users, I would change the destination
(storage/location) of there particular "MY Docs" folder to there dedicated
partitions. (nothing special)
Then I didnt need the seperate users so I deleted the other users using
admin rights of the first user I created during install.

Heres my dilemma. With only one user left, I cannot rename the partitions
that were originally designed for storage by the other users now that the
users dont exist anymore.
The warning I get is that I dont have the "Rights" to change the name of
these partitions.
I have also tried to rename while in Safe Mode but that didnt work either.
Same lack of rights
Yes - I do appreciate that a new account is created when you go into Safe
Mode (called Admin)
I do appreciate that all I need to do is override the admin rights somehow
but I havent found a way yet.

Does anyone have any ideas

Thanks in advance

Charlie

The "Administrator" account is created during setup of XP. Given that you have home edition, reboot into Safe mode, login with Administrator account, and then do your cleanup & re-arranging.
What you are referring to now is renaming the Volume name on the partitions. Did you try Renaming in Windows Explorer, or in Disk Management?
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Charlie wrote:
> I am reasonably comp competent, able to fix most things but this one
> has me stumped.
> H/D is partitioned into 4 primary. 1st part is for op sys. 2nd and
> 3rd is for storage for users, 4th is storage for ghost image
> Heres how it goes, A fresh XP Home install to partition 1. During the
> install, enter 3 users and everything is fine.
> I understand the principal of Administrator rights and all 3 users
> had admin rights.
> Logging in under different users, I would change the destination
> (storage/location) of there particular "MY Docs" folder to there
> dedicated partitions. (nothing special)
> Then I didnt need the seperate users so I deleted the other users
> using admin rights of the first user I created during install.
>
> Heres my dilemma. With only one user left, I cannot rename the
> partitions that were originally designed for storage by the other
> users now that the users dont exist anymore.
> The warning I get is that I dont have the "Rights" to change the name
> of these partitions.
> I have also tried to rename while in Safe Mode but that didnt work
> either. Same lack of rights
> Yes - I do appreciate that a new account is created when you go into
> Safe Mode (called Admin)
> I do appreciate that all I need to do is override the admin rights
> somehow but I havent found a way yet.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas
>

> Thanks in advance
>

> Charlie

Charlie

Thanks for reply Maurice. Yes I have tried all the average types of renaming.
Logging into safe mode - all the rest.
Any other ideas that might delve in a bit further

Thanks Charlie

"Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:

> The "Administrator" account is created during setup of XP. Given that you have home edition, reboot into Safe mode, login with Administrator account, and then do your cleanup & re-arranging.
> What you are referring to now is renaming the Volume name on the partitions. Did you try Renaming in Windows Explorer, or in Disk Management?
> --
> Maurice N
> MVP Windows - Shell / User
> -----
>

> Charlie wrote:
> > I am reasonably comp competent, able to fix most things but this one
> > has me stumped.
> > H/D is partitioned into 4 primary. 1st part is for op sys. 2nd and
> > 3rd is for storage for users, 4th is storage for ghost image
> > Heres how it goes, A fresh XP Home install to partition 1. During the
> > install, enter 3 users and everything is fine.
> > I understand the principal of Administrator rights and all 3 users
> > had admin rights.
> > Logging in under different users, I would change the destination
> > (storage/location) of there particular "MY Docs" folder to there
> > dedicated partitions. (nothing special)
> > Then I didnt need the seperate users so I deleted the other users
> > using admin rights of the first user I created during install.
> >
> > Heres my dilemma. With only one user left, I cannot rename the
> > partitions that were originally designed for storage by the other
> > users now that the users dont exist anymore.
> > The warning I get is that I dont have the "Rights" to change the name
> > of these partitions.
> > I have also tried to rename while in Safe Mode but that didnt work
> > either. Same lack of rights
> > Yes - I do appreciate that a new account is created when you go into
> > Safe Mode (called Admin)
> > I do appreciate that all I need to do is override the admin rights
> > somehow but I havent found a way yet.
> >
> > Does anyone have any ideas
> >

> > Thanks in advance
> >

> > Charlie

You can trey changing permissions and volume name in the registry, at your
own risk, of course.
Go to Hkey_ Local>system>Mounted devices, right click>permissions. Then
from the same location, Hkey_local>system>mounted devices, look on the right
side for the partition you want to rename, it'll be something like Dos
Devices( drive letter).

"Charlie" <Charlie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for reply Maurice. Yes I have tried all the average types of
> renaming.
> Logging into safe mode - all the rest.
> Any other ideas that might delve in a bit further
>
> Thanks Charlie
>
> "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:
>
>> The "Administrator" account is created during setup of XP. Given that you
>> have home edition, reboot into Safe mode, login with Administrator
>> account, and then do your cleanup & re-arranging.
>> What you are referring to now is renaming the Volume name on the
>> partitions. Did you try Renaming in Windows Explorer, or in Disk
>> Management?
>> --
>> Maurice N
>> MVP Windows - Shell / User
>> -----
>>

>> Charlie wrote:
>> > I am reasonably comp competent, able to fix most things but this one
>> > has me stumped.
>> > H/D is partitioned into 4 primary. 1st part is for op sys. 2nd and
>> > 3rd is for storage for users, 4th is storage for ghost image
>> > Heres how it goes, A fresh XP Home install to partition 1. During the
>> > install, enter 3 users and everything is fine.
>> > I understand the principal of Administrator rights and all 3 users
>> > had admin rights.
>> > Logging in under different users, I would change the destination
>> > (storage/location) of there particular "MY Docs" folder to there
>> > dedicated partitions. (nothing special)
>> > Then I didnt need the seperate users so I deleted the other users
>> > using admin rights of the first user I created during install.
>> >
>> > Heres my dilemma. With only one user left, I cannot rename the
>> > partitions that were originally designed for storage by the other
>> > users now that the users dont exist anymore.
>> > The warning I get is that I dont have the "Rights" to change the name
>> > of these partitions.
>> > I have also tried to rename while in Safe Mode but that didnt work
>> > either. Same lack of rights
>> > Yes - I do appreciate that a new account is created when you go into
>> > Safe Mode (called Admin)
>> > I do appreciate that all I need to do is override the admin rights
>> > somehow but I havent found a way yet.
>> >
>> > Does anyone have any ideas
>> >

>> > Thanks in advance
>> >

>> > Charlie