Icons repaint, "Explorer needs to close", and right-clicking

August 28, 2005 10:54:03 AM

WinXP, all updates applied, on a Dell 4550 3.06 gHz with 1 gig RAM:

Frequently, after using Windows Explorer, or when programs close, all the
icons on the desktop refresh, going from the generic icon and painting from
right screen to left screen.

I am also getting frequent "Explorer Needs to Close" followed by another
dialog that Dr Watson Debugger needs to close. This almost always seems to
happen if I have used the right-mouse button on a desktop icon to bring up
the shortcut menu, for example, when right-clicking Recycle Bin to empty it.

It will almost always happen if I use do a right-mouse button such as that
when a Windows Explorer window has just closed.

I think these misbehaviors are all related.
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 5:13:52 PM

Right click causes an error and crashes Explorer.exe after installing
Windows XP SP2
http://www.winxptutor.com/sp2/divxcrash.htm

Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers

Right-click is extremely slow only when Network is enabled
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rcdelay.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:22571484-89CA-41AB-90AF-2D421334BBAC@microsoft.com,
Stan S <Stan S@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> WinXP, all updates applied, on a Dell 4550 3.06 gHz with 1 gig RAM:
>
> Frequently, after using Windows Explorer, or when programs close, all the
> icons on the desktop refresh, going from the generic icon and painting
> from right screen to left screen.
>
> I am also getting frequent "Explorer Needs to Close" followed by another
> dialog that Dr Watson Debugger needs to close. This almost always seems to
> happen if I have used the right-mouse button on a desktop icon to bring
> up the shortcut menu, for example, when right-clicking Recycle Bin to
> empty it.
>
> It will almost always happen if I use do a right-mouse button such as that
> when a Windows Explorer window has just closed.
>
> I think these misbehaviors are all related.
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 11:06:03 PM

Wesley,

Thanks. I did have an old version of DivX installed but upgrading did not
help. I have about 130 context menu handlers based on the report from
ShellView. This will take a little time to do one-by-one.

Here is one other misbehavior that happens every time: I went into My
Computer /Tools/Folder Options/File Types, and tried to change the default
program for opening TIF files. The instant I just select the TIF filetype in
this window, I get the same "Explorer has to close" and "Dr Watson has to
close" message, then a freeze. I can only recover from the freeze with
Ctrl-alt-del and log off.

Does this narrow it down at all? I am next going to try changing a different
filetype, but I thought I would send this before I crashed again.

Stan

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Right click causes an error and crashes Explorer.exe after installing
> Windows XP SP2
> http://www.winxptutor.com/sp2/divxcrash.htm
>
> Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm
>
> Right-click is extremely slow only when Network is enabled
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rcdelay.htm
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:22571484-89CA-41AB-90AF-2D421334BBAC@microsoft.com,
> Stan S <Stan S@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > WinXP, all updates applied, on a Dell 4550 3.06 gHz with 1 gig RAM:
> >
> > Frequently, after using Windows Explorer, or when programs close, all the
> > icons on the desktop refresh, going from the generic icon and painting
> > from right screen to left screen.
> >
> > I am also getting frequent "Explorer Needs to Close" followed by another
> > dialog that Dr Watson Debugger needs to close. This almost always seems to
> > happen if I have used the right-mouse button on a desktop icon to bring
> > up the shortcut menu, for example, when right-clicking Recycle Bin to
> > empty it.
> >
> > It will almost always happen if I use do a right-mouse button such as that
> > when a Windows Explorer window has just closed.
> >
> > I think these misbehaviors are all related.

August 28, 2005 11:11:02 PM

Wesley, see two messages below.

"Stan S" wrote:

> Wesley,
>
> Thanks. I did have an old version of DivX installed but upgrading did not
> help. I have about 130 context menu handlers based on the report from
> ShellView. This will take a little time to do one-by-one.
>
> Here is one other misbehavior that happens every time: I went into My
> Computer /Tools/Folder Options/File Types, and tried to change the default
> program for opening TIF files. The instant I just select the TIF filetype in
> this window, I get the same "Explorer has to close" and "Dr Watson has to
> close" message, then a freeze. I can only recover from the freeze with
> Ctrl-alt-del and log off.
>
> Does this narrow it down at all? I am next going to try changing a different
> filetype, but I thought I would send this before I crashed again.

Addendum: it also crashed when I just clicked on another filetype to change.
I am able to recover with Ctrl+alt+del and then closing Windows Explorer from
the Task Manager Application window.

My screen repaints, the Systray empties out, and when the Systray
repopulates, several icons (such as Norton Internet Security) do not
reappear, even though it appears they are still running, based on Task
Manager's Processes window. I forget to mention this before

> Stan
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
> > Right click causes an error and crashes Explorer.exe after installing
> > Windows XP SP2
> > http://www.winxptutor.com/sp2/divxcrash.htm
> >
> > Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers
> > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm
> >
> > Right-click is extremely slow only when Network is enabled
> > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rcdelay.htm
> >
> > --
> > Hope this helps. Let us know.
> >
> > Wes
> > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >
> > In news:22571484-89CA-41AB-90AF-2D421334BBAC@microsoft.com,
> > Stan S <Stan S@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > > WinXP, all updates applied, on a Dell 4550 3.06 gHz with 1 gig RAM:
> > >
> > > Frequently, after using Windows Explorer, or when programs close, all the
> > > icons on the desktop refresh, going from the generic icon and painting
> > > from right screen to left screen.
> > >
> > > I am also getting frequent "Explorer Needs to Close" followed by another
> > > dialog that Dr Watson Debugger needs to close. This almost always seems to
> > > happen if I have used the right-mouse button on a desktop icon to bring
> > > up the shortcut menu, for example, when right-clicking Recycle Bin to
> > > empty it.
> > >
> > > It will almost always happen if I use do a right-mouse button such as that
> > > when a Windows Explorer window has just closed.
> > >
> > > I think these misbehaviors are all related.

Anonymous
August 29, 2005 12:45:24 AM

Stan,

Using ShellExView, two ways to do this:

Disable every non Microsoft item first, then reboot.

See what happens. If problem is gone, re-enable items one at a time until
the problem appears again.

Or...

Disable non-Microsoft items one at a time until the problem disappears.

No way of telling which will be quicker until you're done.

Trial and error all the way. Even the pros have to do it this way, unless
from experience they spot a known culprit.

From my experience, disable anything from NVIDIA and leave it disabled
regardless. :-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:0F823864-AE59-4F9A-91D2-3B2DBFB0F676@microsoft.com,
Stan S <StanS@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Wesley, see two messages below.
>
> "Stan S" wrote:
>
>> Wesley,
>>
>> Thanks. I did have an old version of DivX installed but upgrading did not
>> help. I have about 130 context menu handlers based on the report from
>> ShellView. This will take a little time to do one-by-one.
>>
>> Here is one other misbehavior that happens every time: I went into My
>> Computer /Tools/Folder Options/File Types, and tried to change the
>> default program for opening TIF files. The instant I just select the TIF
>> filetype in this window, I get the same "Explorer has to close" and "Dr
>> Watson has to close" message, then a freeze. I can only recover from the
>> freeze with Ctrl-alt-del and log off.
>>
>> Does this narrow it down at all? I am next going to try changing a
>> different filetype, but I thought I would send this before I crashed
>> again.
>
> Addendum: it also crashed when I just clicked on another filetype to
> change. I am able to recover with Ctrl+alt+del and then closing Windows
> Explorer from the Task Manager Application window.
>
> My screen repaints, the Systray empties out, and when the Systray
> repopulates, several icons (such as Norton Internet Security) do not
> reappear, even though it appears they are still running, based on Task
> Manager's Processes window. I forget to mention this before
>

>> Stan
>>
>> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>>
>>> Right click causes an error and crashes Explorer.exe after installing
>>> Windows XP SP2
>>> http://www.winxptutor.com/sp2/divxcrash.htm
>>>
>>> Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers
>>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm
>>>
>>> Right-click is extremely slow only when Network is enabled
>>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rcdelay.htm
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>>
>>> Wes
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> In news:22571484-89CA-41AB-90AF-2D421334BBAC@microsoft.com,
>>> Stan S <Stan S@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

Anonymous
August 29, 2005 12:45:25 AM

Thanks. It looks like it was the Yahoo Desktop Search.

Nothing by NVIDIA on my computer that I know of--just ATI.

Here's a way to make the disable-enable search go faster--divide the group
in two, figure out which group has the offending entry, then keep dividing
that group in two until it's isolated. That speed up the process a lot.

Have there been problems with Yahoo desktop search? Guess I'll install the
MSN version :)

Stan

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Stan,
>
> Using ShellExView, two ways to do this:
>
> Disable every non Microsoft item first, then reboot.
>
> See what happens. If problem is gone, re-enable items one at a time until
> the problem appears again.
>
> Or...
>
> Disable non-Microsoft items one at a time until the problem disappears.
>
> No way of telling which will be quicker until you're done.
>
> Trial and error all the way. Even the pros have to do it this way, unless
> from experience they spot a known culprit.
>
> From my experience, disable anything from NVIDIA and leave it disabled
> regardless. :-)
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:0F823864-AE59-4F9A-91D2-3B2DBFB0F676@microsoft.com,
> Stan S <StanS@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Wesley, see two messages below.
> >
> > "Stan S" wrote:
> >
> >> Wesley,
> >>
> >> Thanks. I did have an old version of DivX installed but upgrading did not
> >> help. I have about 130 context menu handlers based on the report from
> >> ShellView. This will take a little time to do one-by-one.
> >>
> >> Here is one other misbehavior that happens every time: I went into My
> >> Computer /Tools/Folder Options/File Types, and tried to change the
> >> default program for opening TIF files. The instant I just select the TIF
> >> filetype in this window, I get the same "Explorer has to close" and "Dr
> >> Watson has to close" message, then a freeze. I can only recover from the
> >> freeze with Ctrl-alt-del and log off.
> >>
> >> Does this narrow it down at all? I am next going to try changing a
> >> different filetype, but I thought I would send this before I crashed
> >> again.
> >
> > Addendum: it also crashed when I just clicked on another filetype to
> > change. I am able to recover with Ctrl+alt+del and then closing Windows
> > Explorer from the Task Manager Application window.
> >
> > My screen repaints, the Systray empties out, and when the Systray
> > repopulates, several icons (such as Norton Internet Security) do not
> > reappear, even though it appears they are still running, based on Task
> > Manager's Processes window. I forget to mention this before
> >

> >> Stan

Anonymous
August 29, 2005 3:08:08 PM

Hi Stan,

Glad you found it. :-)

That is one way electricians troubleshoot a circuit. There are other tricks
also. Hard to explain some of them. Experience and doing things the hard
way are good teachers. Troubleshooting is an art as much as it is a
science.

Troubleshooting, whether an engine, an electric circuit, a batch file, a
computer hardware problem or even solving a mystery, all have things in
common. You just have to start somewhere and start eliminating things that
might be the cause of the problem. Never assume that something cannot be
the cause, do not overlook anything, no matter how simple.

"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible,
whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Sherlock Holmes)

I don't know, I don't Yahoo.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:80EEF920-D118-4A35-AF40-E8B3EE9F6C4D@microsoft.com,
Stan S <StanS@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Thanks. It looks like it was the Yahoo Desktop Search.
>
> Nothing by NVIDIA on my computer that I know of--just ATI.
>
> Here's a way to make the disable-enable search go faster--divide the group
> in two, figure out which group has the offending entry, then keep dividing
> that group in two until it's isolated. That speed up the process a lot.
>
> Have there been problems with Yahoo desktop search? Guess I'll install the
> MSN version :)
>
> Stan
>

> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> Stan,
>>
>> Using ShellExView, two ways to do this:
>>
>> Disable every non Microsoft item first, then reboot.
>>
>> See what happens. If problem is gone, re-enable items one at a time
>> until the problem appears again.
>>
>> Or...
>>
>> Disable non-Microsoft items one at a time until the problem disappears.
>>
>> No way of telling which will be quicker until you're done.
>>
>> Trial and error all the way. Even the pros have to do it this way,
>> unless from experience they spot a known culprit.
>>
>> From my experience, disable anything from NVIDIA and leave it disabled
>> regardless. :-)
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:0F823864-AE59-4F9A-91D2-3B2DBFB0F676@microsoft.com,
>> Stan S <StanS@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Wesley, see two messages below.

>>> Addendum: it also crashed when I just clicked on another filetype to
>>> change. I am able to recover with Ctrl+alt+del and then closing Windows
>>> Explorer from the Task Manager Application window.
>>>
>>> My screen repaints, the Systray empties out, and when the Systray
>>> repopulates, several icons (such as Norton Internet Security) do not
>>> reappear, even though it appears they are still running, based on Task
>>> Manager's Processes window. I forget to mention this before

Anonymous
August 29, 2005 3:31:59 PM

>> divide the group in two

Yes, I agree Stan. See: http://www.bootdisk.com/bootlist/208.htm#4

I should add this note in my page.

BTW, glad to see Wes has fixed this up for you.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

!