c:program files Dir, installing older apps into it

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.basic.dos,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I'm having a brain freeze....(;-(

What is the syntax for redirecting the installation of a legacy program into
a new folder within C:\program Files instead of it going to the root of drive
C?

I think I have to use " " but can't seem to get it right since it has been
a very long time that I needed to install a legacy application into anything
post NT 3.51

Thanks,
Phil
pb4hire(delete this)@hotmail.com

"Phil B." <Phil B.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm having a brain freeze....(;-(

Boy, I'll say you are..

> What is the syntax for redirecting the installation of a legacy program
into
> a new folder within C:\program Files instead of it going to the root of
drive
> C?
>
> I think I have to use " " but can't seem to get it right since it has
been
> a very long time that I needed to install a legacy application into
anything
> post NT 3.51

That's a function controlled by the specific installer program in use.
Consult your installer documentation.

Most installers I've seen start the user off with a "Select Installation
Folder" screen with some suggested default folder. User accepts that, or
'browses' for an alternate folder.

Of course, there are (sadly) any number of publishers who "hard-code" the
install folder and/or the specific program and data files folders for their
applications. But they don't bother me as competitors, since they will go
out of business anyway unless they change to allow the user to select these
folders.

MCM