DVD rom no longer working

August 28, 2005 12:39:42 PM

It looks like there's some similar postings, but not exactly this problem...I
tried using my DVD rom yesterday and it didn't work for either CDs or DVDs.
It
appears in windows explorer and when I try to use it it causes explorer to
crash. Whenever I put a CD or DVD in there, no matter what program I try to
open it with, that program crashes. The device manager it says it's working
poperly. I've already unstalled and have had windows (XP version with SP2)
reinstall the driver and I'm still having the same problem. My DVD+/-RW
drive is working properly, just this drive. Any suggestions?

More about : dvd rom longer working

Anonymous
August 28, 2005 1:56:03 PM

Most DVD/CD ROM drives are plug and play and do not need or have a specific
driver in order to initially install the device. Windows should find and
install the DVD ROM drive without you having to manually install any drivers.
Your DVD RW drive is working you say, the burning software for that drive is?
The reason I ask, my Nero burning software's drivers are also available for
my DVD ROM drive as well, it works fine.
Does your burning software see the DVD ROM drive as a source location?
How many apps do you use to view/burn DVDs, CDs, could be a conflict?

j;-)
"zphudrock" wrote:

> It looks like there's some similar postings, but not exactly this problem...I
> tried using my DVD ROM yesterday and it didn't work for either Cd's or DVDs.
> It
> appears in windows explorer and when I try to use it it causes explorer to
> crash. Whenever I put a CD or DVD in there, no matter what program I try to
> open it with, that program crashes. The device manager it says it's working
> poperly. I've already unstalled and have had windows (XP version with SP2)
> reinstall the driver and I'm still having the same problem. My DVD+/-RW
> drive is working properly, just this drive. Any suggestions?

Anonymous
August 28, 2005 8:55:01 PM

I don't currently use Nero--although it's a great program. I generally use
windows explorer to burn dvds/cds. I have a DVR that came with a program as
well. I have done nothing different in terms of adding any new programs.

"Jaymon" wrote:

> Most DVD/CD ROM drives are plug and play and do not need or have a specific
> driver in order to initially install the device. Windows should find and
> install the DVD ROM drive without you having to manually install any drivers.
> Your DVD RW drive is working you say, the burning software for that drive is?
> The reason I ask, my Nero burning software's drivers are also available for
> my DVD ROM drive as well, it works fine.
> Does your burning software see the DVD ROM drive as a source location?
> How many apps do you use to view/burn DVDs, CDs, could be a conflict?
>
> j;-)
> "zphudrock" wrote:
>
> > It looks like there's some similar postings, but not exactly this problem...I
> > tried using my DVD ROM yesterday and it didn't work for either Cd's or DVDs.
> > It
> > appears in windows explorer and when I try to use it it causes explorer to
> > crash. Whenever I put a CD or DVD in there, no matter what program I try to
> > open it with, that program crashes. The device manager it says it's working
> > poperly. I've already unstalled and have had windows (XP version with SP2)
> > reinstall the driver and I'm still having the same problem. My DVD+/-RW
> > drive is working properly, just this drive. Any suggestions?

Anonymous
August 30, 2005 2:38:03 PM

Ok, Windows Explorer in and of itself will NOT burn DVD's period, and the XP
inbuilt burner will only work with CD-R media..
Read up and update the XP inbuilt cd burner app, see links
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php
http://www.highmat.com/download/

Look in C:\program files\ for the HighMAT CD Writing Wizard folder to verify
before you update, just download the update by the way. The other is not
supported by WinXP...

j;-|

!