Can't get Windows to Load

Tags:
  • Partition
  • Windows XP
August 28, 2005 1:22:01 PM

Please help. I have a P4 1.4, 512MB, 80GB,120GB Dell PC. My 120GB drive
serves as a storage drive. The 80GB drive was partitioned (using FDisk) into
2 different partitions. For a long time I was running Windows XP on one
partition and Windows Media Center on the other.

I used Partition Magic to make a 3rd partition using space from both of the
existing partitions (C and E). When all was said and done I logged into the
partition C and everthing was fine. When I tried to boot into E: the system
booted up to the login screen and then a Windows XP logo screen came up
(light blue background) and the login screen never showed up.

Went back into the c: partition and opened PM to use a utility to log into
any installed Windows application. Rebooted and got an "Ntldr Missing" error.
Tried to use the PM rescue disks but they wouldn't load.

I used FIXBOOT AND FIXMBR and lost the ability to boot altogether (Ntldr
Missing error).

Made a Windows XP boot disk with boot.ini, Ntldr, netdetect.com (?), and the
system took me to the screen where I could chose which OS to boot into.

E: still boots to just before the login screen
C: loads windows then says "autochk not found . . . " and then I get the
BSOD.

I would like to troubleshoot this problem because I don't want to reload and
I can't afford to lose my emails. I did not back up my Outlook accounts.
Everything else of value is on my (S)Storage drive.
Also, I can't repair the installation from my XP install disk because I am
only given the option to format (not using auto recovery or recovery console).

Please help me. I would like to get this all working but only need to get
into my E: drive long enough to back up my Outlook.

Thank you,

Matt

More about : windows load

Anonymous
August 28, 2005 3:41:16 PM

Powlaz wrote:
> Please help. I have a P4 1.4, 512MB, 80GB,120GB Dell PC. My 120GB
> drive serves as a storage drive. The 80GB drive was partitioned
> (using FDisk) into 2 different partitions. For a long time I was
> running Windows XP on one partition and Windows Media Center on the
> other.
>
> I used Partition Magic to make a 3rd partition using space from both
> of the existing partitions (C and E). When all was said and done I
> logged into the partition C and everthing was fine. When I tried to
> boot into E: the system booted up to the login screen and then a
> Windows XP logo screen came up (light blue background) and the login
> screen never showed up.
>
> Went back into the c: partition and opened PM to use a utility to log
> into any installed Windows application. Rebooted and got an "Ntldr
> Missing" error. Tried to use the PM rescue disks but they wouldn't
> load.
>
> I used FIXBOOT AND FIXMBR and lost the ability to boot altogether
> (Ntldr Missing error).
>
> Made a Windows XP boot disk with boot.ini, Ntldr, netdetect.com (?),
> and the system took me to the screen where I could chose which OS to
> boot into.
>
> E: still boots to just before the login screen
> C: loads windows then says "autochk not found . . . " and then I get
> the BSOD.
>
> I would like to troubleshoot this problem because I don't want to
> reload and I can't afford to lose my emails. I did not back up my
> Outlook accounts. Everything else of value is on my (S)Storage drive.
> Also, I can't repair the installation from my XP install disk because
> I am only given the option to format (not using auto recovery or
> recovery console).
>
> Please help me. I would like to get this all working but only need
> to get into my E: drive long enough to back up my Outlook.

Ultimate Boot CD..
Access the partition, grab your PST, rebuild.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

I think you have to make a change to the Boot.ini file which should be on
the C:\ If you can still get there open the boot.ini
file and add 1 to this number. Save and reboot.
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS add 1 to (4)
Your numbers will probably be different.
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
/noexecute=optin /fastdetect add 1 to (4)
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(5)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
/noexecute=optin /fastdetect add 1 to (5)
C:\="Microsoft Windows"

This could have been accomplished by using the Recovery Console command

BOOTCFG
Use this command for boot configuration and recovery. This command has the
following options:
bootcfg /add
bootcfg /rebuild
bootcfg /scan
bootcfg /list
bootcfg /disableredirect
bootcfg /redirect [portbaudrate] | [useBiosSettings]
Examples:
bootcfg /redirect com1 115200
bootcfg /redirect useBiosSettings
You can use the following options:
/add : Adds a Windows installation to the boot menu list.
/rebuild : Iterates through all Windows installations so that you can
specify which installations to add.
/scan : Scans all disks for Windows installations and displays the results
so that you can specify which installations to add.
/default : Sets the default boot entry.
/list : Lists the entries already in the boot menu list.
/disableredirect : Disables redirection in the boot loader.
/redirect : Enables redirection in the boot loader, with the specified
configuration.

"Powlaz" <Powlaz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Please help. I have a P4 1.4, 512MB, 80GB,120GB Dell PC. My 120GB drive
> serves as a storage drive. The 80GB drive was partitioned (using FDisk)
> into
> 2 different partitions. For a long time I was running Windows XP on one
> partition and Windows Media Center on the other.
>
> I used Partition Magic to make a 3rd partition using space from both of
> the
> existing partitions (C and E). When all was said and done I logged into
> the
> partition C and everthing was fine. When I tried to boot into E: the
> system
> booted up to the login screen and then a Windows XP logo screen came up
> (light blue background) and the login screen never showed up.
>
> Went back into the c: partition and opened PM to use a utility to log into
> any installed Windows application. Rebooted and got an "Ntldr Missing"
> error.
> Tried to use the PM rescue disks but they wouldn't load.
>
> I used FIXBOOT AND FIXMBR and lost the ability to boot altogether (Ntldr
> Missing error).
>
> Made a Windows XP boot disk with boot.ini, Ntldr, netdetect.com (?), and
> the
> system took me to the screen where I could chose which OS to boot into.
>
> E: still boots to just before the login screen
> C: loads windows then says "autochk not found . . . " and then I get the
> BSOD.
>
> I would like to troubleshoot this problem because I don't want to reload
> and
> I can't afford to lose my emails. I did not back up my Outlook accounts.
> Everything else of value is on my (S)Storage drive.
> Also, I can't repair the installation from my XP install disk because I am
> only given the option to format (not using auto recovery or recovery
> console).
>
> Please help me. I would like to get this all working but only need to get
> into my E: drive long enough to back up my Outlook.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Matt
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 5:40:01 AM

Matt,

It's been awhile since I used PartitionMagic but I think I've been here and
done this before. Did you install BootMagic and create emergency disks (you
would need to install it on a FAT or FAT32 partition)? Do you have two
primary partitions marked active? Are you trying to install a second
operating system? Have you tried PQBoot? Setting two partitons to be active
at the same time will cause boot problems.

Here are some instructions from a PartitionMagic BootMagic manual:

"Operating system will not boot (bootstrapping issues). If you have two
operating systems that are based on Windows NT (that is, Windows NT, Windows
2000, or Windows XP) and one of the operating systems is bootstrapping off of
the other one, BootMagic will not work properly for the bootstrapped OS. By
default, BootMagic hides any primary partitions other than the one you choose
to boot from. If it hides a partition that includes the NTLDR and BOOT.INI
file (system files that are shared in a bootstrapped environment), the
computer will not boot. There are three ways to resolve this problem:
• Make sure only one primary partition is visible when you install an
NT-based OS, so that the NTLDR and BOOT.INI are installed in both OS
partitions. (This option avoids bootstrapping, so both operating systems can
boot on their own.)
• Use the NT loader menu to boot into the OS you want instead of using
BootMagic.
• You may have a bootstrapped operating system but still want to use
BootMagic because you have additional operating systems that are not
bootstrapped. In this case, you should remove the option for the bootstrapped
operating system from the BootMagic menu and choose that OS from the NTLDR
menu instead. For example,assume you had three operating systems installed:
Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows 98. If Windows XP were bootstrapped off
Windows 2000, it would not boot if you chose it from the BootMagic
configuration menu because BootMagic would hide the Windows 2000 partition
that included critical system files. Instead,you should make the Windows XP
partition visible from the Windows 2000 partition (see “Configuring BootMagic
to Work on an NTFS System” ) and remove Windows XP from the BootMagic
configuration. You would then have two options on the BootMagic menu: Windows
2000 and Windows 98. You could choose Windows 98 to boot it directly. If you
chose Windows 2000, the NTLDR menu would appear, allowing you to boot either
Windows 2000 or Windows XP."

If you have no manual available and as long as you have access to the
internet why don't you try
http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/support_options.html for either help or
download a manual.

Or try:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320397 You receive
an "NTLDR is missing" error message when you start your computer

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;101862 Err Msg: Boot
- Can't Find NTLDR, or Windows Could Not Start..

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315261 The computer
does not start after you change the active partition by using the Disk
Management tool

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555304 An NTLDR or
NTDETECT.COM Not Found Error

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;228004 Changing
Active Partition Can Make Your System Unbootable

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;100312 Error
messages during boot Sequence on Intel x86 machines

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;100323 Intel
x86bBased system boot sequence and files

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;312569 How to
manually start the removal process to remove Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307654 How to
install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

Good Luck

jmike

!