Goback 4 and WinXP Home Patch

Hello -

After being assured that Goback4 was compatabile with WinXP, I installed it,
only to have to uninstall it because of Stop Error Code. I telephoned Dell
and they said this was a known problem (conflicted with System Restore, I
think they said), there was a patch for it. I have searched and searched for
information on this patch. Cannot find it or a reference to it.

I had used Goback on Win98 and was most satisfied. I would like to use it
again, if possible.

Does anyone know of this patch, or should I just forget about using Goback?

Thank you very much.
9 answers Last reply
More about goback winxp home patch

    It is a conflict with DEP in SP2 on certain systems

    SP2's DEP issue on an Athlon64 PCI Express system with Goback 3 or Goback 4
    (or other "incompatible" applications/programs) can be resolved easily by
    adding the following after the default Boot in Boot.ini

    /noexecute=alwaysoff /NOPAE

    so that it reads something like

    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINXPH="Microsoft Windows XP Home
    Edition" /fastdetect /noexecute=alwaysoff /NOPAE

    instead of

    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINXPH="Microsoft Windows XP Home
    Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

    System Restore ONLY works if Windows will boot .... If you delete your
    Windows folder or rename it and empty the recycle bin system restore is
    useless ... if you delete all your fonts and try to use system restore ... it
    is useless .... Goback can fix all those and more .... I disable the useless
    System Restore (patterned after Second Chance from Powerquest [which is
    discontinued software,] and use Goback

    "Grateful" wrote:

    > Hello -
    >
    > After being assured that Goback4 was compatabile with WinXP, I installed it,
    > only to have to uninstall it because of Stop Error Code. I telephoned Dell
    > and they said this was a known problem (conflicted with System Restore, I
    > think they said), there was a patch for it. I have searched and searched for
    > information on this patch. Cannot find it or a reference to it.
    >
    > I had used Goback on Win98 and was most satisfied. I would like to use it
    > again, if possible.
    >
    > Does anyone know of this patch, or should I just forget about using Goback?
    >
    > Thank you very much.

    To edit boot.ini you can right click Control Panel, System, Advanced, Startup
    and Recovery, and Edit button be sure to SAVE after you edit

    Alternatively, if in Folder Options you have set to view hidden and System
    files .... you can just go to C drive and right click on Boot.ini ... select
    Properties ... uncheck Read Only ... then Open with Notepad and edit it then
    click File Save ...

    "[[[```RB" wrote:

    > It is a conflict with DEP in SP2 on certain systems
    >

    > SP2's DEP issue on an Athlon64 PCI Express system with Goback 3 or Goback 4
    > (or other "incompatible" applications/programs) can be resolved easily by
    > adding the following after the default Boot in Boot.ini
    >
    > /noexecute=alwaysoff /NOPAE
    >
    > so that it reads something like
    >
    > [operating systems]
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINXPH="Microsoft Windows XP Home
    > Edition" /fastdetect /noexecute=alwaysoff /NOPAE
    >
    > instead of
    >

    > [operating systems]
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINXPH="Microsoft Windows XP Home
    > Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    >

    > System Restore ONLY works if Windows will boot .... If you delete your
    > Windows folder or rename it and empty the recycle bin system restore is
    > useless ... if you delete all your fonts and try to use system restore ... it
    > is useless .... Goback can fix all those and more .... I disable the useless
    > System Restore (patterned after Second Chance from Powerquest [which is
    > discontinued software,] and use Goback
    >

    > "Grateful" wrote:
    >
    > > Hello -
    > >
    > > After being assured that Goback4 was compatabile with WinXP, I installed it,
    > > only to have to uninstall it because of Stop Error Code. I telephoned Dell
    > > and they said this was a known problem (conflicted with System Restore, I
    > > think they said), there was a patch for it. I have searched and searched for
    > > information on this patch. Cannot find it or a reference to it.
    > >
    > > I had used Goback on Win98 and was most satisfied. I would like to use it
    > > again, if possible.
    > >
    > > Does anyone know of this patch, or should I just forget about using Goback?
    > >
    > > Thank you very much.

    before you do any of the boot.ini editing ... if you have never done this
    before, make a copy of c:\boot.ini before you edit it.

    "Grateful" wrote:

    > Hello -
    >
    > After being assured that Goback4 was compatabile with WinXP, I installed it,
    > only to have to uninstall it because of Stop Error Code. I telephoned Dell
    > and they said this was a known problem (conflicted with System Restore, I
    > think they said), there was a patch for it. I have searched and searched for
    > information on this patch. Cannot find it or a reference to it.
    >
    > I had used Goback on Win98 and was most satisfied. I would like to use it
    > again, if possible.
    >
    > Does anyone know of this patch, or should I just forget about using Goback?
    >
    > Thank you very much.

    You might inform Dell and Symantec about this ... it isn't a system Restore
    conflict, but a DEP conflict with SP2 and Goback and certain systems
    (especially "some" Athlon 64 systems and "some" Intel systems capable of 64
    bit processing, Michael (Dell) went to my high school. my boss sold him an
    Arabian horse for his daughter, but we aren't on speaking terms (my computers
    are faster than his) <grin>

    [[[```RB wrote:
    > Michael (Dell) went to my high school.
    > My boss sold him an Arabian horse for his daughter, but we aren't on
    > speaking terms (my computers are faster than his) <grin>

    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP
    --
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

    "[[[```RB" wrote:

    > You might inform Dell and Symantec about this ... it isn't a system Restore
    > conflict, but a DEP conflict with SP2 and Goback and certain systems
    > (especially "some" Athlon 64 systems and "some" Intel systems capable of 64
    > bit processing,

    Thank you for your response. I had initially contacted Dell and tried to
    contact Symantec about this. I had no luck with Symantec nor their
    'knowledge base' for my problem. They did refund my $, but I would still buy
    the product if I felt assured I wouldn't crash....

    I had a Celeron CPU 260GHZ....

    Again, my thanks for your advice. As I mentioned, I have a Celeron, so will
    adding the line you suggest help, do you think?

    Also, should I disable System Restore prior to installing GoBack4?

    "[[[```RB" <RB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > It is a conflict with DEP in SP2 on certain systems
    >

    > SP2's DEP issue on an Athlon64 PCI Express system with Goback 3 or Goback
    > 4
    > (or other "incompatible" applications/programs) can be resolved easily by
    > adding the following after the default Boot in Boot.ini
    >
    > /noexecute=alwaysoff /NOPAE
    >
    > so that it reads something like
    >
    > [operating systems]
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINXPH="Microsoft Windows XP Home
    > Edition" /fastdetect /noexecute=alwaysoff /NOPAE
    >
    > instead of
    >

    > [operating systems]
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINXPH="Microsoft Windows XP Home
    > Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    >

    > System Restore ONLY works if Windows will boot .... If you delete your
    > Windows folder or rename it and empty the recycle bin system restore is
    > useless ... if you delete all your fonts and try to use system restore ...
    > it
    > is useless .... Goback can fix all those and more .... I disable the
    > useless
    > System Restore (patterned after Second Chance from Powerquest [which is
    > discontinued software,] and use Goback
    >

    > "Grateful" wrote:
    >
    >> Hello -
    >>
    >> After being assured that Goback4 was compatabile with WinXP, I installed
    >> it,
    >> only to have to uninstall it because of Stop Error Code. I telephoned
    >> Dell
    >> and they said this was a known problem (conflicted with System Restore, I
    >> think they said), there was a patch for it. I have searched and searched
    >> for
    >> information on this patch. Cannot find it or a reference to it.
    >>
    >> I had used Goback on Win98 and was most satisfied. I would like to use
    >> it
    >> again, if possible.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of this patch, or should I just forget about using
    >> Goback?
    >>
    >> Thank you very much.

    Does this 'patch' apply equally to WINXP Pro?

    "Grateful" <Grateful@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Again, my thanks for your advice. As I mentioned, I have a Celeron, so
    > will
    > adding the line you suggest help, do you think?
    >
    > Also, should I disable System Restore prior to installing GoBack4?

    The installation of GoBack should disable Window's System Recovery for you.
    IIRC, Windows System Recovery is actually a very stripped-down version of
    GoBack.

Windows XP