Stopmessage every time I play a game.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi there!
I get a Stop message everytime I try to play a game on my computer,
sometimes after 2 minutes and sometimes after 20 minutes. Seems quite random,
and it bugs the hell out of me. The errormessage that sometimes pops up after
restart says it is some kind of device driver failure. I've tried
re-installing a number of drivers, old as new. Nothing helps. The
stopmessage goes:
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
STOP: 0x0000000A (0x80EEE258, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x806EE2D6)

My computer specs are as follows:
AMD Athlon XP3000+
512MB Ram
Samsung 160Gb
Abit KD7A Socket A Motherboard
Radeon 9800 Pro 128Mb (with old driver, tried new catalyst but that didn't
work either)

Any clues? Eternal gratitude to the one solving this problem! ;)
Thanks!
7 answers Last reply
More about stopmessage time play game
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Make sure the card is connected to a single trunk 12v cable and not a double
    that is sharing the power somwhere. Also, could be overheating problem if
    overclocked restore to defauts.. Did you download both driver and control
    panel updates? DX9c installed and ok?

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmd_stp_hwpg.asp

    J;-)

    "Bitewing" wrote:

    > Hi there!
    > I get a Stop message everytime I try to play a game on my computer,
    > sometimes after 2 minutes and sometimes after 20 minutes. Seems quite random,
    > and it bugs the hell out of me. The errormessage that sometimes pops up after
    > restart says it is some kind of device driver failure. I've tried
    > re-installing a number of drivers, old as new. Nothing helps. The
    > stopmessage goes:
    > IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    > STOP: 0x0000000A (0x80EEE258, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x806EE2D6)
    >
    > My computer specs are as follows:
    > AMD Athlon XP3000+
    > 512MB Ram
    > Samsung 160Gb
    > Abit KD7A Socket A Motherboard
    > Radeon 9800 Pro 128Mb (with old driver, tried new catalyst but that didn't
    > work either)
    >
    > Any clues? Eternal gratitude to the one solving this problem! ;)
    > Thanks!
    >
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    I'll check the cable, but since this problem started in april or may and all
    was working fine before then can that really be what's causing the shutdowns?
    I'm not overclocking and never have. I don't even know how to do that. ;)
    When i got the new catalyst drivers I downloaded the control panel updates
    too. I went back to my ancient driver when the computer continued its bad
    behaviour to see if that would solve anything. It didn't. Latest DirectX is
    installed and ok. God, I hate this.
    Thanks for answering, anyway! I'll check the link and see where it gets me.

    "Jaymon" wrote:

    > Make sure the card is connected to a single trunk 12v cable and not a double
    > that is sharing the power somwhere. Also, could be overheating problem if
    > overclocked restore to defauts.. Did you download both driver and control
    > panel updates? DX9c installed and ok?
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmd_stp_hwpg.asp
    >
    > J;-)
    >
    > "Bitewing" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi there!
    > > I get a Stop message everytime I try to play a game on my computer,
    > > sometimes after 2 minutes and sometimes after 20 minutes. Seems quite random,
    > > and it bugs the hell out of me. The errormessage that sometimes pops up after
    > > restart says it is some kind of device driver failure. I've tried
    > > re-installing a number of drivers, old as new. Nothing helps. The
    > > stopmessage goes:
    > > IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    > > STOP: 0x0000000A (0x80EEE258, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x806EE2D6)
    > >
    > > My computer specs are as follows:
    > > AMD Athlon XP3000+
    > > 512MB Ram
    > > Samsung 160Gb
    > > Abit KD7A Socket A Motherboard
    > > Radeon 9800 Pro 128Mb (with old driver, tried new catalyst but that didn't
    > > work either)
    > >
    > > Any clues? Eternal gratitude to the one solving this problem! ;)
    > > Thanks!
    > >
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Also, check in the BIOS and make sure the AGP slot is set to utilize the full
    128mb on the card. That said, have you ever updated the BIOS for your system?
    Look over the link and see if any updates apply, see user manual, FAQs etc..

    http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=129

    Hope this helps..
    j;-)

    "Bitewing" wrote:

    > I'll check the cable, but since this problem started in april or may and all
    > was working fine before then can that really be what's causing the shutdowns?
    > I'm not overclocking and never have. I don't even know how to do that. ;)
    > When i got the new catalyst drivers I downloaded the control panel updates
    > too. I went back to my ancient driver when the computer continued its bad
    > behaviour to see if that would solve anything. It didn't. Latest DirectX is
    > installed and ok. God, I hate this.
    > Thanks for answering, anyway! I'll check the link and see where it gets me.
    >
    > "Jaymon" wrote:
    >
    > > Make sure the card is connected to a single trunk 12v cable and not a double
    > > that is sharing the power somwhere. Also, could be overheating problem if
    > > overclocked restore to defauts.. Did you download both driver and control
    > > panel updates? DX9c installed and ok?
    > >
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmd_stp_hwpg.asp
    > >
    > > J;-)
    > >
    > > "Bitewing" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi there!
    > > > I get a Stop message everytime I try to play a game on my computer,
    > > > sometimes after 2 minutes and sometimes after 20 minutes. Seems quite random,
    > > > and it bugs the hell out of me. The errormessage that sometimes pops up after
    > > > restart says it is some kind of device driver failure. I've tried
    > > > re-installing a number of drivers, old as new. Nothing helps. The
    > > > stopmessage goes:
    > > > IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    > > > STOP: 0x0000000A (0x80EEE258, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x806EE2D6)
    > > >
    > > > My computer specs are as follows:
    > > > AMD Athlon XP3000+
    > > > 512MB Ram
    > > > Samsung 160Gb
    > > > Abit KD7A Socket A Motherboard
    > > > Radeon 9800 Pro 128Mb (with old driver, tried new catalyst but that didn't
    > > > work either)
    > > >
    > > > Any clues? Eternal gratitude to the one solving this problem! ;)
    > > > Thanks!
    > > >
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Youve looked through this
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314063

    Allthough it sounds like a vid driver problem.
    Though it could also be vid card memory
    Has it allways been this way?

    "Bitewing" <Bitewing@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:48327653-A91A-4123-8348-FC6A180FFCF8@microsoft.com...
    > Hi there!
    > I get a Stop message everytime I try to play a game on my computer,
    > sometimes after 2 minutes and sometimes after 20 minutes. Seems quite
    random,
    > and it bugs the hell out of me. The errormessage that sometimes pops up
    after
    > restart says it is some kind of device driver failure. I've tried
    > re-installing a number of drivers, old as new. Nothing helps. The
    > stopmessage goes:
    > IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    > STOP: 0x0000000A (0x80EEE258, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x806EE2D6)
    >
    > My computer specs are as follows:
    > AMD Athlon XP3000+
    > 512MB Ram
    > Samsung 160Gb
    > Abit KD7A Socket A Motherboard
    > Radeon 9800 Pro 128Mb (with old driver, tried new catalyst but that didn't
    > work either)
    >
    > Any clues? Eternal gratitude to the one solving this problem! ;)
    > Thanks!
    >
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    No, it started in april or may I think. I've had the problem since then but
    haven't really bothered to solve it. Haven't played games much. Now I wanted
    to start playing cs again and it simply can't be done given the situation.
    I'll check the link. I'm just a complete nobody when it comes to computers so
    I've been reluctant to try solving this issue.

    "DL" wrote:

    > Youve looked through this
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314063
    >
    > Allthough it sounds like a vid driver problem.
    > Though it could also be vid card memory
    > Has it allways been this way?
    >
    > "Bitewing" <Bitewing@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:48327653-A91A-4123-8348-FC6A180FFCF8@microsoft.com...
    > > Hi there!
    > > I get a Stop message everytime I try to play a game on my computer,
    > > sometimes after 2 minutes and sometimes after 20 minutes. Seems quite
    > random,
    > > and it bugs the hell out of me. The errormessage that sometimes pops up
    > after
    > > restart says it is some kind of device driver failure. I've tried
    > > re-installing a number of drivers, old as new. Nothing helps. The
    > > stopmessage goes:
    > > IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    > > STOP: 0x0000000A (0x80EEE258, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x806EE2D6)
    > >
    > > My computer specs are as follows:
    > > AMD Athlon XP3000+
    > > 512MB Ram
    > > Samsung 160Gb
    > > Abit KD7A Socket A Motherboard
    > > Radeon 9800 Pro 128Mb (with old driver, tried new catalyst but that didn't
    > > work either)
    > >
    > > Any clues? Eternal gratitude to the one solving this problem! ;)
    > > Thanks!
    > >
    >
    >
    >
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Have you changed the CMOS battery on the mobo since you bought the computer?
    This could affect bios settings ie. cpu, mem timings etc..

    j;-)

    "Bitewing" wrote:

    > No, it started in april or may I think. I've had the problem since then but
    > haven't really bothered to solve it. Haven't played games much. Now I wanted
    > to start playing cs again and it simply can't be done given the situation.
    > I'll check the link. I'm just a complete nobody when it comes to computers so
    > I've been reluctant to try solving this issue.
    >
    > "DL" wrote:
    >
    > > Youve looked through this
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314063
    > >
    > > Allthough it sounds like a vid driver problem.
    > > Though it could also be vid card memory
    > > Has it allways been this way?
    > >
    > > "Bitewing" <Bitewing@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > news:48327653-A91A-4123-8348-FC6A180FFCF8@microsoft.com...
    > > > Hi there!
    > > > I get a Stop message everytime I try to play a game on my computer,
    > > > sometimes after 2 minutes and sometimes after 20 minutes. Seems quite
    > > random,
    > > > and it bugs the hell out of me. The errormessage that sometimes pops up
    > > after
    > > > restart says it is some kind of device driver failure. I've tried
    > > > re-installing a number of drivers, old as new. Nothing helps. The
    > > > stopmessage goes:
    > > > IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    > > > STOP: 0x0000000A (0x80EEE258, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x806EE2D6)
    > > >
    > > > My computer specs are as follows:
    > > > AMD Athlon XP3000+
    > > > 512MB Ram
    > > > Samsung 160Gb
    > > > Abit KD7A Socket A Motherboard
    > > > Radeon 9800 Pro 128Mb (with old driver, tried new catalyst but that didn't
    > > > work either)
    > > >
    > > > Any clues? Eternal gratitude to the one solving this problem! ;)
    > > > Thanks!
    > > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
  7. Hello.
    I'm having the exact same problem with the '0x0A' BSoD. It seems to only happen in Steam, or at least in CS v1.6 as far as I've experienced so far. I don't like molesting my computer with those nasty crashes even if it's for troubleshooting, so I haven't tried to replace the ATI drivers, I'll get to this later...

    System and Setup:
    *** Dell Inspiron 1521 (Portable. Outdated (Not shipping).)
    * Bios:
    rev. A06
    * CPU:
    AMD Turion 64 X2 TL58 (1.9GHZ) Mobile (Codename: Trevor)
    * RAM:
    DDR2 Dualchan. 2048 MB: 2x 1024 PC2-5300 (333MHz) from Qimonda (P.number 64T128021HDL3SB)
    * OS:
    Originally with Norwegian Vista Home Premium 86x
    Currently running English WinXP Pro SP2 86x
    * Graphics card:
    ATI Radeon Xpress 1270 (1200 series (1250?)) Hypermemory, intergrated.
    Bios setting: Given 256 of physical Mem.

    Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 12:08:38, on 22.11.2008
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

    Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\WLTRYSVC.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\bcmwltry.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Engine\16.1.0.33\ccSvcHst.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Engine\16.1.0.33\ccSvcHst.exe
    C:\Program Files\SigmaTel\C-Major Audio\WDM\stsystra.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\OEM02Mon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\WLTRAY.exe
    C:\Program Files\RocketDock\RocketDock.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Alt+Q Hotkey.exe
    C:\Program Files\Hot Corners 2\HotCorners.exe
    C:\Program Files\Pidgin\pidgin.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    C:\Program Files\Notepad++\notepad++.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\Micah\Desktop\cpuz_148\cpuz.exe
    C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
    O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: Symantec NCO BHO - {602ADB0E-4AFF-4217-8AA1-95DAC4DFA408} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Engine\16.1.0.33\coIEPlg.dll
    O2 - BHO: Symantec Intrusion Prevention - {6D53EC84-6AAE-4787-AEEE-F4628F01010C} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Engine\16.1.0.33\IPSBHO.DLL
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton Toolbar - {7FEBEFE3-6B19-4349-98D2-FFB09D4B49CA} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Engine\16.1.0.33\coIEPlg.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SigmatelSysTrayApp] %ProgramFiles%\SigmaTel\C-Major Audio\WDM\stsystra.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OEM02Mon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\OEM02Mon.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Broadcom Wireless Manager UI] C:\WINDOWS\system32\WLTRAY.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AppleSyncNotifier] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleSyncNotifier.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AtiPTA] atiptaxx.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [amd_dc_opt] C:\Program Files\AMD\Dual-Core Optimizer\amd_dc_opt.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [RocketDock] "C:\Program Files\RocketDock\RocketDock.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Alt+Q Hotkey Tool] C:\WINDOWS\Alt+Q Hotkey.exe
    O4 - Startup: Hot Corners.lnk = C:\Program Files\Hot Corners 2\HotCorners.exe
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files\bonjour\mdnsnsp.dll
    O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
    O16 - DPF: {556EEC63-31E2-47C3-BF29-DFF799D2FE04} (Remote Access ActiveX Client) - https://secure.logmein.com/activex/RACtrl.cab
    O16 - DPF: {FD0B6769-6490-4A91-AA0A-B5AE0DC75AC9} (Performance Viewer Activex Control) - https://secure.logmein.com/activex/RACtrl.cab
    O18 - Protocol: livecall - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\WINDOW~4\MESSEN~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
    O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\WINDOW~4\MESSEN~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
    O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: LMIinit - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\LMIinit.dll
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\
    O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
    O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
    O23 - Service: Bonjour-tjeneste (Bonjour Service) - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    O23 - Service: iPod-tjeneste (iPod Service) - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    O23 - Service: Norton Internet Security - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Engine\16.1.0.33\ccSvcHst.exe" /s "Norton Internet Security" /m "C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Engine\16.1.0.33\diMaster.dll" /prefetch:1 (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Remote Packet Capture Protocol v.0 (experimental) (rpcapd) - Unknown owner - %ProgramFiles%\WinPcap\rpcapd.exe" -d -f "%ProgramFiles%\WinPcap\rpcapd.ini (file missing)
    O23 - Service: TuneUp Drive Defrag Service (TuneUp.Defrag) - TuneUp Software GmbH - C:\WINDOWS\System32\TuneUpDefragService.exe
    O23 - Service: Dell Wireless WLAN Tray Service (wltrysvc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\WLTRYSVC.EXE

    Comments:
    CPU:
    I've down-clocked my AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile (Codename: Tyler) from it's original:
    1895.6 MHZ (1.9 GHz) // x 9.5 Multiplier // 1.125 V
    to:
    1795.5 Mhz (1.8 GHz) // x 9.0 Multiplier // 0.900 V
    This to reduce heat mostly(Idle temperature: 47-48 C // Stress: 68-69 C).
    I have had no problems with this but the setting has only been stress-tested for not more than three hours using ORTHOS: StressCPU with Gromacs core.

    GPU:
    I originally tried the DNA ATI drivers. Had those for about half a year without any immediate issues. Worked like a charm, but it greatly decreased what my GPU could handle (I.e. FPS?).
    Tried Omega drivers later. This greatly increased my GPU performance, but also made the system too hot for personal liking (70-80 C during stress). It also made the system unstabile and unreliable after a while. Experienced severe 'lagging' and FPS drop in-game, where I'd run at ~ 2.7 FPS after about 30 minutes of play...
    Currently running the ATI drivers from AMD's own website. I haven't tested the other drivers, but I'm happy with these because they don't overheat and I can run a game forever. Video compiling also seems a lot better.
    Installed the AMD Dual-Core Optimizer Version 1.1.4 - This made life easier... but after this I experienced GUI delays in CS, movement delays (Mouse is miliseconds, but NOTICEABLY delayed) and now I get random 0x0A BSoDs IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL errors.

    The bluescreens are random to me as well, Can happen a few seconds after loading up the game, or after a few minutes. I have played for at least 30 minutes before and closed the game without any BSoDs....

    Any idea? Is it Steam/CS, or my setting? :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Games Windows XP