25 letter code

When I try to reinstall XP after a computer crash, I get the message
"incorrect code"
Is it possible for me to find the code on the disk.
I have 3 disks for 3 computers which seem to have got mixed up,so I have
tried all 3 codes, but still get the error incorrect code.
Please help!
2 answers Last reply
More about letter code

    gloton wrote:
    > When I try to reinstall XP after a computer crash, I get the message
    > "incorrect code"
    > Is it possible for me to find the code on the disk.
    > I have 3 disks for 3 computers which seem to have got mixed up,so I have
    > tried all 3 codes, but still get the error incorrect code.
    > Please help!

    You need to examine the Product Key very carefully. It's awfully
    easy to mistake a "B" for an "8," a "G" for a "6," an "S" for a "5," or
    a "Q" for a "0" or "O." Fortunately, Microsoft had the good sense to
    leave the "1's," "I's," "O's," and "0's" out of the equation. Also, be
    sure that your <CapsLock> is _off_ while entering the Product Key --
    this isn't supposed to make a difference, but I've seen it do so, on
    rare occasions.

    Troubleshooting Invalid CD Key Error Message During Windows XP Setup
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310637

    The Windows 25-character Product Key (required to perform the
    installation) is stored on the CD packaging on a bright orange sticker
    that says "Do not lose this number." It is not on the installation CD
    in any way, shape, or form. If it was an OEM (factory installed)
    license, it's stored on a label that the PC manufacturer affixed to
    the exterior of the PC case, or on the bottom of a laptop.

    To recover a lost Product Key:

    If your system still runs, you should be able to use Belarc
    Advisor from http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html to find the
    Product Key. (If you have a factory-installed OEM license, and
    haven't since reinstalled the OS, the revealed Product Key is probably
    of the drive image used at the factory and not your specific Product
    Key; therefore, it probably cannot be -- and definitely should not
    be -- used for a re-installation.)

    If it was a retail license and you have proof of purchase:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;326246

    If it was an OEM license, you should contact the computer's
    manufacturer; although very few manufacturers/vendors keep records of
    the Product Keys they've sold, it's worth a try before you have to buy
    a new license.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    gloton wrote:
    > When I try to reinstall XP after a computer crash, I get the message
    > "incorrect code"
    > Is it possible for me to find the code on the disk.
    > I have 3 disks for 3 computers which seem to have got mixed up,so I
    > have tried all 3 codes, but still get the error incorrect code.
    > Please help!

    Sounds like a typo.
    No - the code is not stored on the CD.
    Careful with mixing some letters and numbers... (5's look like S's, 0's look
    like O's, 8's look like B's, etc.)

    Is this an OEM copy?
    Is the number coming off a sticker on the machine?

    You can find out what codes were used on the other two machines - at least -
    so you know which code you need to be concerned with:

    Belarc Advisor
    http://belarc.com/free_download.html

    EVEREST Home Edition
    http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en

    Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder v1.41

    Magical JellyBean Keyfinder v1.5B3 (Office 2003)
    http://www.magicaljellybean.com/kfbeta.shtml

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP