lost media player

Hi,

Spot of trouble. I system restored back to the point where I had
updated windows media player ( to version 10 I think ) . Next thing I
knew the shortcut on the desktop was dead and media player was gone
from the start menu. I tried downloading various versions of it but
when I try to install them an error message appears claiming its
incompatible with XP. I tried uninstalling the player from control
panel but ended up wrecking service pack 2, acessories and games
(solitaire, etc.)

I was able to sort out sp2, acessories and games with the installation
cd and
media player shortcut returned to the start menu and desktop but when I
try to open it all that appears is a small error window with no
information except
a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in it.

Can anyone help?

--
bojangles
2 answers Last reply

    Go to Start > Run and in the Run box copy, then paste, the following:
    "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\setup_wm.exe"
    Then hit the Enter key to reinstall Windows Media Player.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    bojangles Wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Spot of trouble. I system restored back to the point where I had
    > updated windows media player ( to version 10 I think ) . Next thing I
    > knew the shortcut on the desktop was dead and media player was gone
    > from the start menu. I tried downloading various versions of it but
    > when I try to install them an error message appears claiming its
    > incompatible with XP. I tried uninstalling the player from control
    > panel but ended up wrecking service pack 2, acessories and games
    > (solitaire, etc.)
    >
    > I was able to sort out sp2, acessories and games with the installation
    > cd and
    > media player shortcut returned to the start menu and desktop but when I
    > try to open it all that appears is a small error window with no
    > information except
    > a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in it.
    >
    > Can anyone help?

    Try manually deleting the Windows Media Player folder if it is still
    present in the C: drive. It should be located in Program Files. Try
    deleting everything there and try reinstalling again.

    --
    Evolution54

Start Menu Media Player Windows XP