Speakers have stopped working as have most beep messages

brick

Iwent to my audio file in the Control Panel and when searching through the
devices all worked apart from the following
C-Media AC97 Audio Device
This device cannot start (Code 10)

Brick wrote:
> Iwent to my audio file in the Control Panel and when searching
> through the devices all worked apart from the following
> C-Media AC97 Audio Device
> This device cannot start (Code 10)

Did you reinstall the drivers yet?

You must know what sound card you have. Look on your receipt/invoice for
the computer - ask the people you bought the system from, open it up and
look, etc.

There are applications out there that can identify what hardware you have,
but I think they all depend on a properly installed system - as I think they
pull the information from the registry. Perhaps they do not - so I will
recommend you try two different ones:

EVEREST Home Edition
http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en&pageid=3

Belarc Advisor
http://belarc.com/free_download.html

Once you know what you have, what next? Go get the latest driver for your
hardware/OS from the manufacturer's web page. For example, let's say you
have an NVidia chipset video card or ATI video card, perhaps a Creative
Labs sound card or C-Media chipset sound card...

NVidia Video Card Drivers

ATI Video Card Drivers
http://www.atitech.com/support/driver.html

Creative Labs Sound Device