Speakers have stopped working as have most beep messages

Iwent to my audio file in the Control Panel and when searching through the
devices all worked apart from the following
C-Media AC97 Audio Device
This device cannot start (Code 10)
1 answer Last reply
More about speakers stopped working beep messages

    Brick wrote:
    > Iwent to my audio file in the Control Panel and when searching
    > through the devices all worked apart from the following
    > C-Media AC97 Audio Device
    > This device cannot start (Code 10)

    Did you reinstall the drivers yet?

    You must know what sound card you have. Look on your receipt/invoice for
    the computer - ask the people you bought the system from, open it up and
    look, etc.

    There are applications out there that can identify what hardware you have,
    but I think they all depend on a properly installed system - as I think they
    pull the information from the registry. Perhaps they do not - so I will
    recommend you try two different ones:

    EVEREST Home Edition
    http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en&pageid=3

    Belarc Advisor
    http://belarc.com/free_download.html

    Once you know what you have, what next? Go get the latest driver for your
    hardware/OS from the manufacturer's web page. For example, let's say you
    have an NVidia chipset video card or ATI video card, perhaps a Creative
    Labs sound card or C-Media chipset sound card...

    NVidia Video Card Drivers

    ATI Video Card Drivers
    http://www.atitech.com/support/driver.html

    Creative Labs Sound Device