Reloading Operating System HELP!!

I need to reload my operating system, but there is one problem,
I have never done it before...
I'm just wondering if someone can give me step by step instructions.
I don't need any of the information on my computer.
I just want everything to be erased so i can start fresh.
I am currently running Windows 2000 professional NT
I would like to load my Window XP professional...
If someone can help it would be greatly apprieciated..
2 answers Last reply
More about reloading operating system help

    The Windows XP CD is bootable and contains all the tools necessary
    to partition and format your drive. Follow this procedure and allow
    Windows XP to partition and format your drive:

    NOTE: It would be best to physically disconnect all your peripheral hardware
    devices, except the monitor, mouse and keyboard, before installing XP.

    NOTE: If you have an internal Zip Drive installed, physically disconnect the
    EIDE and power cable to it before proceeding, otherwise your main
    hard drive may not be assigned the customary C: drive letter.
    After installing Windows XP, you may then reconnect it.

    1. Open your BIOS and set your "CD Drive as the first bootable device".

    ===> Accessing Motherboard BIOS
    ===> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

    2. Insert your Windows XP CD in the CD Drive and reboot your computer.
    3. You'll see a message to boot to the CD....follow the instructions.
    4. The setup menu will appear and you should elect to delete all the existing
    Windows partitions, then create a new partition, then format the primary
    partition (preferably NTFS) and proceed to install Windows XP.

    5. Clean Install Windows XP

    [Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP]

    6. ==> Immediately after installing Windows XP, turn on XP's Firewall.
    ==> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx

    7. After Windows XP is installed, visit the Windows Update website
    and download the available "Critical Updates".

    8. After installing the critical updates, be sure and visit the support website
    of the manufacturer of the computer to download and install any
    available Windows XP compatible drivers, such as video adapter
    and audio drivers.

    9. If you happen to run into any installation difficulties, use the following resources:

    How to Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310064

    Troubleshooting Windows XP Setup

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Helweh" wrote:

    | I need to reload my operating system, but there is one problem,
    | I have never done it before...
    | I'm just wondering if someone can give me step by step instructions.
    | I don't need any of the information on my computer.
    | I just want everything to be erased so i can start fresh.
    | I am currently running Windows 2000 professional NT
    | I would like to load my Window XP professional...
    | If someone can help it would be greatly apprieciated..

    I can't seem to figure out how to change the bios and set it to the CD drive...
    I have and Award Bios.. there are no options to change the bootable device..

Microsoft Windows XP