START-All Programs-list blank

When I open the START menu/ All Programs, the main list with all the program
folders is there but the final files to click are blank, I only get a box,
raised from what ever background is present at the time.
At this time the hidden icons on the taskbar open and close extremely slowly
when operated.
My son found a temporary fix by deleting anything, so we make a new folder
and immediately delete it. This corrects both problems instantly until the
next reboot but needs to be done separately for each user that logs on.

Any Ideas where to start looking for a permanent fix?

Dave L
--
Land the KITE before replying

Start Menu 'All Programs' is empty or nothing happens when you click the
menu
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/AllPrograms.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:OW53LCBrFHA.2876@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Dave L <dave.woodrose@kitetiscali.co.uk> hunted and pecked:
> When I open the START menu/ All Programs, the main list with all the
> program folders is there but the final files to click are blank, I only
> get a box, raised from what ever background is present at the time.
> At this time the hidden icons on the taskbar open and close extremely
> slowly when operated.
> My son found a temporary fix by deleting anything, so we make a new folder
> and immediately delete it. This corrects both problems instantly until
> the next reboot but needs to be done separately for each user that logs
> on.
>
> Any Ideas where to start looking for a permanent fix?
>
> Dave L
> --
> Land the KITE before replying

The first/main list appears but not the final shortcuts, if you hover the
pop-up tells you what should be there, but it doesn't work.
I'm not brave enough to change the registry but I now a man who is and I'll
let you know if it works
Thanks
Dave L

> Start Menu 'All Programs' is empty or nothing happens when you click the
> menu
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/AllPrograms.htm
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:OW53LCBrFHA.2876@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> Dave L <dave.woodrose@kitetiscali.co.uk> hunted and pecked:
>> When I open the START menu/ All Programs, the main list with all the
>> program folders is there but the final files to click are blank, I only
>> get a box, raised from what ever background is present at the time.
>> At this time the hidden icons on the taskbar open and close extremely
>> slowly when operated.
>> My son found a temporary fix by deleting anything, so we make a new
>> folder
>> and immediately delete it. This corrects both problems instantly until
>> the next reboot but needs to be done separately for each user that logs
>> on.
>>
>> Any Ideas where to start looking for a permanent fix?
>>
>> Dave L
>> --
>> Land the KITE before replying

Post back when you know, Dave.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:uGTI83IrFHA.1252@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Dave L <dave.woodrose@kitetiscali.co.uk> hunted and pecked:
> The first/main list appears but not the final shortcuts, if you hover the
> pop-up tells you what should be there, but it doesn't work.
> I'm not brave enough to change the registry but I now a man who is and
> I'll let you know if it works
> Thanks
> Dave L

>> Start Menu 'All Programs' is empty or nothing happens when you click the
>> menu
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/AllPrograms.htm
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:OW53LCBrFHA.2876@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
>> Dave L <dave.woodrose@kitetiscali.co.uk> hunted and pecked:
>>> When I open the START menu/ All Programs, the main list with all the
>>> program folders is there but the final files to click are blank, I only
>>> get a box, raised from what ever background is present at the time.
>>> At this time the hidden icons on the taskbar open and close extremely
>>> slowly when operated.
>>> My son found a temporary fix by deleting anything, so we make a new
>>> folder
>>> and immediately delete it. This corrects both problems instantly until
>>> the next reboot but needs to be done separately for each user that logs
>>> on.
>>>
>>> Any Ideas where to start looking for a permanent fix?
>>>
>>> Dave L
>>> --
>>> Land the KITE before replying

I ran regsvr32 /i shell32.dll with no luck and still awaiting help with
the more advanced solution.
Will let you know if it works or what it may be caused by
Dave