javascript:void(0)

I keep getting this message when trying to access certain pop-ups on certian
sites. Sometimes it just just an address in the address bar at the bottom of
the screen but it does not access the page and sometimes it has a yellow
error symbol. Most of the time, it does not work and is annoying! I have
checked that scripting is allowed in internet options and it is. Plain and
simple answers in English please as I do not understand javascript at all.
Thanks in advance.
10 answers Last reply
More about javascript void

    javascript:void(0) is a dummy function. It's part of the way java
    programming works.

    [[The javascript:void(0); calls a function that does nothing (actually it
    evaluates 0).]]
    http://www.the-cool-place.co.uk/javascript/tutorial/javascript1.html

    [[When a link is clicked it takes the user to the page specified in the URL
    of the HREF attribute. To prevent this from happening, use
    javascript:void(0) as the value of HREF.]]
    http://www.webdevelopersnotes.com/tutorials/javascript/javascript_event_handlers_onclick_ondblclick.php3

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:08230D42-E154-428F-B06B-A37D99C4FD4E@microsoft.com,
    Cocko121 <Cocko121@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > javascript:void(0) is a dummy function. It's part of the way java
    > programming works.
    >
    > [[The javascript:void(0); calls a function that does nothing (actually it
    > evaluates 0).]]
    > http://www.the-cool-place.co.uk/javascript/tutorial/javascript1.html
    >
    > [[When a link is clicked it takes the user to the page specified in the URL
    > of the HREF attribute. To prevent this from happening, use
    > javascript:void(0) as the value of HREF.]]
    > http://www.webdevelopersnotes.com/tutorials/javascript/javascript_event_handlers_onclick_ondblclick.php3
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:08230D42-E154-428F-B06B-A37D99C4FD4E@microsoft.com,
    > Cocko121 <Cocko121@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > I keep getting this message when trying to access certain pop-ups on
    > > certian sites. Sometimes it just just an address in the address bar at
    > > the bottom of the screen but it does not access the page and sometimes it
    > > has a yellow error symbol. Most of the time, it does not work and is
    > > annoying! I have checked that scripting is allowed in internet options
    > > and it is. Plain and simple answers in English please as I do not
    > > understand javascript at all. Thanks in advance.

    You actually click on pop up windows?

    > javascript:void(0) is a dummy function. It's part of the way java
    > programming works.
    >
    > <snip>

    Java is not JavaScript. They are completely different languages but your
    answer is correct.

    I knew I was gonna get some kind of comment about my lack of knowledge on
    this. ;-) I actually just forgot to type script on the end of java.

    Obviously, I am no programmer. Research Librarian might be a better term.

    I always wondered why I saw javascript:void(0), but never bothered to see
    what it was until this thread.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:O1YQ$IKrFHA.3444@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    Dennis Marks <denmarks@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
    >> javascript:void(0) is a dummy function. It's part of the way java
    >> programming works.
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>

    > Java is not JavaScript. They are completely different languages but your
    > answer is correct.

    I click on the item on the screen which is supposed to initiate a further
    popup but nothing happens. I still do not understand any of these responses!
    I'm not trying to use the instruction - it is an error that I am encoutering.
    Is this an error with the particular website?

    "pcbutts1" wrote:

    > You actually click on pop up windows?

    > "Cocko121" <Cocko121@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I keep getting this message when trying to access certain pop-ups on
    > >certian
    > > sites. Sometimes it just just an address in the address bar at the bottom
    > > of
    > > the screen but it does not access the page and sometimes it has a yellow
    > > error symbol. Most of the time, it does not work and is annoying! I have
    > > checked that scripting is allowed in internet options and it is. Plain and
    > > simple answers in English please as I do not understand javascript at all.
    > > Thanks in advance.

    Oh ok I thought it was unwanted windows that just pops up, those could be
    bad and lead to spyware infestation.

    >I click on the item on the screen which is supposed to initiate a further
    > popup but nothing happens. I still do not understand any of these
    > I'm not trying to use the instruction - it is an error that I am
    > encoutering.
    > Is this an error with the particular website?
    >
    > "pcbutts1" wrote:
    >
    >> You actually click on pop up windows?
    >>
    >> --

    >> "Cocko121" <Cocko121@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I keep getting this message when trying to access certain pop-ups on
    >> >certian
    >> > sites. Sometimes it just just an address in the address bar at the
    >> > bottom
    >> > of
    >> > the screen but it does not access the page and sometimes it has a
    >> > yellow
    >> > error symbol. Most of the time, it does not work and is annoying! I
    >> > have
    >> > checked that scripting is allowed in internet options and it is. Plain
    >> > and
    >> > simple answers in English please as I do not understand javascript at
    >> > all.
    >> > Thanks in advance.

    I'm not trying to use the function. It is an error that I am encountering!
    When I click on the options to open certain pages, their address at the
    bottom of the screen shows this error. What can I do about this?

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > javascript:void(0) is a dummy function. It's part of the way java
    > programming works.
    >
    > [[The javascript:void(0); calls a function that does nothing (actually it
    > evaluates 0).]]
    > http://www.the-cool-place.co.uk/javascript/tutorial/javascript1.html
    >
    > [[When a link is clicked it takes the user to the page specified in the URL
    > of the HREF attribute. To prevent this from happening, use
    > javascript:void(0) as the value of HREF.]]
    > http://www.webdevelopersnotes.com/tutorials/javascript/javascript_event_handlers_onclick_ondblclick.php3
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:08230D42-E154-428F-B06B-A37D99C4FD4E@microsoft.com,
    > Cocko121 <Cocko121@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > I keep getting this message when trying to access certain pop-ups on
    > > certian sites. Sometimes it just just an address in the address bar at
    > > the bottom of the screen but it does not access the page and sometimes it
    > > has a yellow error symbol. Most of the time, it does not work and is
    > > annoying! I have checked that scripting is allowed in internet options
    > > and it is. Plain and simple answers in English please as I do not
    > > understand javascript at all. Thanks in advance.

  10. I'm using this forum to test if I get this error here. I'm getting this error on an article. There have been additional comments since I first tried to comment so the problem must be with my settings.

Javascript Microsoft Windows XP