Paging File

August 28, 2005 8:40:02 PM

A couple of weeks ago, at startup, my computer did this weird thing that I've
never EVER seen before. I've been working with computers for over 10 years,
but I am only patient when they work properly. I do not claim to know
anything at all about the way they work. I just want to turn on the button
and have it work...

Some of the things I was quick enough to write down were:

kernel_stack_inpage_error

correcting error in index $I30 for file 62645

NOW... whenever I sign into my profile, I get this error message:
Limited Virtual Memory. The system has no paging file or it i stoo small.

I've checked the computer help files and found out how to change the paging
file... but WHY should I have to? What has suddenly changed about the
computer that this file is suddenly too small? I have not loaded anynew
software or games or anything.

When I view the task manager at startup... there is a WHOLE LOT going on...
I wonder if there's a way to change that so that nothing starts that I don't
need.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
--
Krista

More about : paging file

August 28, 2005 9:21:02 PM

Sorry! I posted this before I was able to read the others. I would still
appreciate any suggestions for stopping all but necessary programs at startup.

Thanks
--
Krista

"Krista" wrote:

> A couple of weeks ago, at startup, my computer did this weird thing that I've
> never EVER seen before. I've been working with computers for over 10 years,
> but I am only patient when they work properly. I do not claim to know
> anything at all about the way they work. I just want to turn on the button
> and have it work...
>
> Some of the things I was quick enough to write down were:
>
> kernel_stack_inpage_error
>
> correcting error in index $I30 for file 62645
>
> NOW... whenever I sign into my profile, I get this error message:
> Limited Virtual Memory. The system has no paging file or it i stoo small.
>
> I've checked the computer help files and found out how to change the paging
> file... but WHY should I have to? What has suddenly changed about the
> computer that this file is suddenly too small? I have not loaded anynew
> software or games or anything.
>
> When I view the task manager at startup... there is a WHOLE LOT going on...
> I wonder if there's a way to change that so that nothing starts that I don't
> need.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Krista
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 1:00:38 AM

Krista

Go to each icon in turn, right click or open it, look in the
preferences/options and see if there is a checkbox that you can uncheck that
will prevent auto starts..

Re. virtual memory.. you don't change the page file.. you set it to Windows
managed.. how much free space do you have on your hard drive?.. You will get
the warning if free space drops below a useful level.. when was the last
time you cleared temporary internet files, defrag your dive, run Disk
Cleanup?

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Krista" <Krista@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>A couple of weeks ago, at startup, my computer did this weird thing that
>I've
> never EVER seen before. I've been working with computers for over 10
> years,
> but I am only patient when they work properly. I do not claim to know
> anything at all about the way they work. I just want to turn on the
> button
> and have it work...
>
> Some of the things I was quick enough to write down were:
>
> kernel_stack_inpage_error
>
> correcting error in index $I30 for file 62645
>
> NOW... whenever I sign into my profile, I get this error message:
> Limited Virtual Memory. The system has no paging file or it i stoo small.
>
> I've checked the computer help files and found out how to change the
> paging
> file... but WHY should I have to? What has suddenly changed about the
> computer that this file is suddenly too small? I have not loaded anynew
> software or games or anything.
>
> When I view the task manager at startup... there is a WHOLE LOT going
> on...
> I wonder if there's a way to change that so that nothing starts that I
> don't
> need.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Krista
Related resources
August 29, 2005 4:38:25 AM

Begin by going to Start>Run and type in MSCONFIG. Then go to the tab marked
Startup. These are programs that start when Windows starts. Uncheck any
programs that are not necessary. You will have to reboot when done.

> Sorry! I posted this before I was able to read the others. I would still
> appreciate any suggestions for stopping all but necessary programs at
> startup.
>
> Thanks
> --
> Krista
>

> "Krista" wrote:
>
>> A couple of weeks ago, at startup, my computer did this weird thing that
>> I've
>> never EVER seen before. I've been working with computers for over 10
>> years,
>> but I am only patient when they work properly. I do not claim to know
>> anything at all about the way they work. I just want to turn on the
>> button
>> and have it work...
>>
>> Some of the things I was quick enough to write down were:
>>
>> kernel_stack_inpage_error
>>
>> correcting error in index $I30 for file 62645
>>
>> NOW... whenever I sign into my profile, I get this error message:
>> Limited Virtual Memory. The system has no paging file or it i stoo
>> small.
>>
>> I've checked the computer help files and found out how to change the
>> paging
>> file... but WHY should I have to? What has suddenly changed about the
>> computer that this file is suddenly too small? I have not loaded anynew
>> software or games or anything.
>>
>> When I view the task manager at startup... there is a WHOLE LOT going
>> on...
>> I wonder if there's a way to change that so that nothing starts that I
>> don't
>> need.
>>
>> Does anyone have any suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> --
>> Krista
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 6:42:01 PM

Krista <Krista@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Sorry! I posted this before I was able to read the others. I would still
>appreciate any suggestions for stopping all but necessary programs at startup.

Here is a web site where you can check out the items listed in the
Startup tab of MSCONFIG to see what can safely be dispensed with, and
the consequences if any of doing so.

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php

Also see the following web site for information about the various
Services that load at startup and how these can be reconfigured:

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 8:35:54 PM

"" wrote:
> Sorry! I posted this before I was able to read the others. I
> would still
> appreciate any suggestions for stopping all but necessary
> programs at startup.
>
> Thanks
> --
> Krista
>

> "Krista" wrote:
>
> > A couple of weeks ago, at startup, my computer did this
> weird thing that I've
> > never EVER seen before. I've been working with computers
> for over 10 years,
> > but I am only patient when they work properly. I do not
> claim to know
> > anything at all about the way they work. I just want to
> turn on the button
> > and have it work...
> >
> > Some of the things I was quick enough to write down were:
> >
> > kernel_stack_inpage_error
> >
> > correcting error in index $I30 for file 62645
> >
> > NOW... whenever I sign into my profile, I get this error
> message:
> > Limited Virtual Memory. The system has no paging file or it
> i stoo small.
> >
> > I've checked the computer help files and found out how to
> change the paging
> > file... but WHY should I have to? What has suddenly changed
> about the
> > computer that this file is suddenly too small? I have not
> loaded anynew
> > software or games or anything.
> >
> > When I view the task manager at startup... there is a WHOLE
> LOT going on...
> > I wonder if there's a way to change that so that nothing
> starts that I don't
> > need.
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > --
> > Krista

Hi Krista

Here’s a link on Virtual Memory.
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

Its possible that your paging file is badly fragmented,in which case
the built in defragmenter will not defrag it, you will have to go in
for a third party tool with those features. And as User5930 said, run
diskclean up and defrag regularly.
To clear items from your startup, follow the process Fitz mentioned.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Paging-File...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1381936
!