Paging File

A couple of weeks ago, at startup, my computer did this weird thing that I've
never EVER seen before. I've been working with computers for over 10 years,
but I am only patient when they work properly. I do not claim to know
anything at all about the way they work. I just want to turn on the button
and have it work...

Some of the things I was quick enough to write down were:

kernel_stack_inpage_error

correcting error in index $I30 for file 62645

NOW... whenever I sign into my profile, I get this error message:
Limited Virtual Memory. The system has no paging file or it i stoo small.

I've checked the computer help files and found out how to change the paging
file... but WHY should I have to? What has suddenly changed about the
computer that this file is suddenly too small? I have not loaded anynew
software or games or anything.

When I view the task manager at startup... there is a WHOLE LOT going on...
I wonder if there's a way to change that so that nothing starts that I don't
need.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
--
Krista
5 answers Last reply

    Sorry! I posted this before I was able to read the others. I would still
    appreciate any suggestions for stopping all but necessary programs at startup.

    Thanks
    --
    Krista

    "Krista" wrote:

    > A couple of weeks ago, at startup, my computer did this weird thing that I've
    > never EVER seen before. I've been working with computers for over 10 years,
    > but I am only patient when they work properly. I do not claim to know
    > anything at all about the way they work. I just want to turn on the button
    > and have it work...
    >
    > Some of the things I was quick enough to write down were:
    >
    > kernel_stack_inpage_error
    >
    > correcting error in index $I30 for file 62645
    >
    > NOW... whenever I sign into my profile, I get this error message:
    > Limited Virtual Memory. The system has no paging file or it i stoo small.
    >
    > I've checked the computer help files and found out how to change the paging
    > file... but WHY should I have to? What has suddenly changed about the
    > computer that this file is suddenly too small? I have not loaded anynew
    > software or games or anything.
    >
    > When I view the task manager at startup... there is a WHOLE LOT going on...
    > I wonder if there's a way to change that so that nothing starts that I don't
    > need.
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > --
    > Krista

    Krista

    Go to each icon in turn, right click or open it, look in the
    preferences/options and see if there is a checkbox that you can uncheck that
    will prevent auto starts..

    Re. virtual memory.. you don't change the page file.. you set it to Windows
    managed.. how much free space do you have on your hard drive?.. You will get
    the warning if free space drops below a useful level.. when was the last
    time you cleared temporary internet files, defrag your dive, run Disk
    Cleanup?

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Krista" <Krista@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >A couple of weeks ago, at startup, my computer did this weird thing that
    >I've
    > never EVER seen before. I've been working with computers for over 10
    > years,
    > but I am only patient when they work properly. I do not claim to know
    > anything at all about the way they work. I just want to turn on the
    > button
    > and have it work...
    >
    > Some of the things I was quick enough to write down were:
    >
    > kernel_stack_inpage_error
    >
    > correcting error in index $I30 for file 62645
    >
    > NOW... whenever I sign into my profile, I get this error message:
    > Limited Virtual Memory. The system has no paging file or it i stoo small.
    >
    > I've checked the computer help files and found out how to change the
    > paging
    > file... but WHY should I have to? What has suddenly changed about the
    > computer that this file is suddenly too small? I have not loaded anynew
    > software or games or anything.
    >
    > When I view the task manager at startup... there is a WHOLE LOT going
    > on...
    > I wonder if there's a way to change that so that nothing starts that I
    > don't
    > need.
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > --
    > Krista

    Begin by going to Start>Run and type in MSCONFIG. Then go to the tab marked
    Startup. These are programs that start when Windows starts. Uncheck any
    programs that are not necessary. You will have to reboot when done.

    > Sorry! I posted this before I was able to read the others. I would still
    > appreciate any suggestions for stopping all but necessary programs at
    > startup.
    >
    > Thanks
    > --
    > Krista
    >

    > "Krista" wrote:
    >
    >> A couple of weeks ago, at startup, my computer did this weird thing that
    >> I've
    >> never EVER seen before. I've been working with computers for over 10
    >> years,
    >> but I am only patient when they work properly. I do not claim to know
    >> anything at all about the way they work. I just want to turn on the
    >> button
    >> and have it work...
    >>
    >> Some of the things I was quick enough to write down were:
    >>
    >> kernel_stack_inpage_error
    >>
    >> correcting error in index $I30 for file 62645
    >>
    >> NOW... whenever I sign into my profile, I get this error message:
    >> Limited Virtual Memory. The system has no paging file or it i stoo
    >> small.
    >>
    >> I've checked the computer help files and found out how to change the
    >> paging
    >> file... but WHY should I have to? What has suddenly changed about the
    >> computer that this file is suddenly too small? I have not loaded anynew
    >> software or games or anything.
    >>
    >> When I view the task manager at startup... there is a WHOLE LOT going
    >> on...
    >> I wonder if there's a way to change that so that nothing starts that I
    >> don't
    >> need.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any suggestions?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> --
    >> Krista

    Krista <Krista@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Sorry! I posted this before I was able to read the others. I would still
    >appreciate any suggestions for stopping all but necessary programs at startup.

    Here is a web site where you can check out the items listed in the
    Startup tab of MSCONFIG to see what can safely be dispensed with, and
    the consequences if any of doing so.

    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php

    Also see the following web site for information about the various
    Services that load at startup and how these can be reconfigured:

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    "" wrote:
    > Sorry! I posted this before I was able to read the others. I
    > would still
    > appreciate any suggestions for stopping all but necessary
    > programs at startup.
    >
    > Thanks
    > --
    > Krista
    >

    > "Krista" wrote:
    >
    > > A couple of weeks ago, at startup, my computer did this
    > weird thing that I've
    > > never EVER seen before. I've been working with computers
    > for over 10 years,
    > > but I am only patient when they work properly. I do not
    > claim to know
    > > anything at all about the way they work. I just want to
    > turn on the button
    > > and have it work...
    > >
    > > Some of the things I was quick enough to write down were:
    > >
    > > kernel_stack_inpage_error
    > >
    > > correcting error in index $I30 for file 62645
    > >
    > > NOW... whenever I sign into my profile, I get this error
    > message:
    > > Limited Virtual Memory. The system has no paging file or it
    > i stoo small.
    > >
    > > I've checked the computer help files and found out how to
    > change the paging
    > > file... but WHY should I have to? What has suddenly changed
    > about the
    > > computer that this file is suddenly too small? I have not
    > loaded anynew
    > > software or games or anything.
    > >
    > > When I view the task manager at startup... there is a WHOLE
    > LOT going on...
    > > I wonder if there's a way to change that so that nothing
    > starts that I don't
    > > need.
    > >
    > > Does anyone have any suggestions?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > --
    > > Krista

    Hi Krista

    Here’s a link on Virtual Memory.
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

    Its possible that your paging file is badly fragmented,in which case
    the built in defragmenter will not defrag it, you will have to go in
    for a third party tool with those features. And as User5930 said, run
    diskclean up and defrag regularly.
    To clear items from your startup, follow the process Fitz mentioned.

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Paging-File-ftopict414628.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1381936

Windows XP