System File not suitable for running MS Dos etc applications

When trying to load programs using Windows XP I receive the following message;

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT System file is not suitable for running
MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the
applications.

How do I go about restoring the computer to allow these applications to run?

try this

Copy Autoexec.nt from C:\Windows\repair to C:\Windows\system32

hth

philip ashley

"rydo" <rydo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When trying to load programs using Windows XP I receive the following
> message;
>
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT System file is not suitable for running
> MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the
> applications.
>
> How do I go about restoring the computer to allow these applications to
> run?

Thanks for that, fixed it. Thankyou for the quick reply and the solution.
rydo

"Philip Ashley" wrote:

> try this
>
> Copy Autoexec.nt from C:\Windows\repair to C:\Windows\system32
>
> hth
>
> philip ashley
>
> "rydo" <rydo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When trying to load programs using Windows XP I receive the following
> > message;
> >
> > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT System file is not suitable for running
> > MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the
> > applications.
> >
> > How do I go about restoring the computer to allow these applications to
> > run?

TRENDING THREADS