Intel boot agent???

gobeavers

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
Ok, I have a Toshiba laptop, 766 mhz P3, and it has worked before; but now when I try to boot, it comes up, before booting windows, with a black screen saying Intel boot agent 3.something, then it says

PXE-E61: media test error, check cable
PXE-MOF: Exiting Intel RXE ROM
Insert system disk in drive
Press any key when ready

I would need to do some searching, if I still have the sys disk, to insert it, so is there any easy way to bypass this? If I press any key it doesn't do anything. And if I do insert the sys disk, what will it do??? Thanks for any help.

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
I've got a Toshiba laptop (Satellite 2805-S301: PIII 650). Mine has Win ME on it. Which OS do you have?

The system disk which came w/my laptop is a "reconfiguration disk". Inserting and using this disk will reformat and reinstall - makes your pc run like it's new, but you'll lose all your data. I don't think I can just reinstall the OS (I reconfiured back in Feb and don't recall any other choices, but could check).

Have you checked out Toshiba's website?

State your OS, your model laptop and, if compatible and you need a file or something I will email it to you.

Edit: I googled your error message. It seems your laptop is trying to boot from the cd instead of hard drive. Go into BIOS and change boot to Harddrive 0. Here's a link:<A HREF="http://www.nocrash.com/ncbbs/msgs/3576.shtml" target="_new">http://www.nocrash.com/ncbbs/msgs/3576.shtml</A>

XP 2000+
MSI KT3 ULTRA-2 KT333
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB PC2700
ABIT G4 Ti4200 OTES 64MB
Win98SE<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Coyote on 12/02/03 12:35 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Use a bootdisk and run scandisk on the hard drive. Either some files are screwed (bad) or your hard drive is hosed and not being detected anymore (really bad). Reseat the hard drive (with all power disconnected, of course) and see if that helps.

Basically, the boot files on your hard drive might be corrupted, or the drive itself is dead. In any event, your laptop can no longer boot from the hard drive, so it's trying to boot from the network. Check that HD.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

gobeavers

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
The laptop has Windows ME, a satellite, don't know the model number though... I tried selecting a boot device, it says that *edit* SORRY, THE IT SAYS "B" IN BRACKETS, THE TEXT PUTS IT IN BOLD is built in Hard drive, but when I SELECT THE HD FOR BOOT DEVICE, IT GIVES ME THE SAME MESSAGE... I will look at the toshiba site...

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by gobeavers on 12/02/03 11:04 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

gobeavers

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
Well, since its a laptop, I can't really reseat the HD that easily I don't think... I just installed a Wi-Fi card with it, and it was missing a file, so I took that file from a windows XP machine and put it on the ME laptop... Could that have caused the issue? It was a .sys file I think... (don't reprimand me, I have learned)

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
Win ME has the system restore feature! Go for a restore point in time before you inserted the XP sys file. That will disable your card, but you can tackle that problem again (hopefully with better results) :)

XP 2000+
MSI KT3 ULTRA-2 KT333
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB PC2700
ABIT G4 Ti4200 OTES 64MB
Win98SE

Get a boot floppy and see if you can boot with it. Run a scandisk and scanreg. I don't know what .sys file you copied from XP... but it is possible that caused your problem. You still have the Windows CD somewhere, don't you? Could try booting from that as well. Run some diagnostics on the hard drive... it could be just a coincidence that your HD failed at the time you copied the file. Either way, you have to get that comp booted to a command prompt at the very least so you can check that hard drive.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

gobeavers

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
Where do I get a boot floppy? Haven't found the software for the laptop, and since it is a Toshiba PC, wouldn't it just come with a recovery CD, not a Windows disk? The file I put on the laptop was like B5cmt something I think, but it did work some after I put that file on, it had some BSOD's but it did function, so would the file slowly degrade my system? Wouldn't it just have stopped right away?

Go to <A HREF="http://www.bootdisk.com" target="_new">Bootdisk.com</A> and download a floppy image from there. You should be able to make a working bootable floppy disk that way.

gobeavers

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
Sorry for the really late reply.... I went to boot disk and downloaded the Windows ME OEM bootdisk (right choice? or the custom?) and I inserted it after the error message when prompted, hit any key...nothing. When I inserted before boot up, comes up with the toshiba screen, then it just goes to the black with flashing underscore. Any other ideas?

Anxiously awaiting prescott....is it here yet?

gobeavers

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
Well, I left it at the blinking underscore, and it came up! I'm currently wading through the help file and stuff, hopefully it will work... If I reinstall ME will it wipe my HD?

Anxiously awaiting prescott....is it here yet?

Try reinstalling Windows ME without formatting (just run Setup from the CD). That should keep your data intact. If you manage to get it up and running, make sure one of the first things you do is a virus scan.

TRENDING THREADS