Unable to drag and drop, also click on folders

August 29, 2005 12:59:09 AM

:I have suddenly found I am unable to drag and drop anything. E.g., desktop
to file, file to folder, etc. Concurrently I found I could not left click on
files or folders. I get the following error message, "Restriction: This
operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer.
Please contact your system administrtor".
This my personal computer in my home and checking the user account tab in
the control panel I am the administrator with no guest.
I wonder if somehow, somewhere in the registry or ?? I'm no longer
recognized as the administrator. Since I want to drag and drop files and left
click on files so I can effect a change, that's why I'm wondering about being
the administrator.
Winxp SP2 all patches.
This started about 10 days ago and I have asked on other bulletin boards
with no help forthcoming.
TIA
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 5:19:03 AM

Have you installed any new programs in the last 10 days?

"TomPC" wrote:

> :I have suddenly found I am unable to drag and drop anything. E.g., desktop
> to file, file to folder, etc. Concurrently I found I could not left click on
> files or folders. I get the following error message, "Restriction: This
> operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer.
> Please contact your system administrtor".
> This my personal computer in my home and checking the user account tab in
> the control panel I am the administrator with no guest.
> I wonder if somehow, somewhere in the registry or ?? I'm no longer
> recognized as the administrator. Since I want to drag and drop files and left
> click on files so I can effect a change, that's why I'm wondering about being
> the administrator.
> Winxp SP2 all patches.
> This started about 10 days ago and I have asked on other bulletin boards
> with no help forthcoming.
> TIA

Anonymous
August 29, 2005 5:52:25 PM

Yes. Updates to my ATI video card, updates my Audigy 2 card and an updat to
Acrobat reader. However these were after I started experiencing the problem.
I had done a clean install of WinXP SP 2 and was in the process of installing
programs that I use, e.g. Zone Alarm, AVG antivirus, Acronis, Win Office,
Explorer Plus. Nothing that I downloaded just to look at and see if I wanted
it. I do have .Net installed with its update.
TIA Tom
"BigSteve911" wrote:

> Have you installed any new programs in the last 10 days?
>
> "TomPC" wrote:
>
> > :I have suddenly found I am unable to drag and drop anything. E.g., desktop
> > to file, file to folder, etc. Concurrently I found I could not left click on
> > files or folders. I get the following error message, "Restriction: This
> > operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer.
> > Please contact your system administrtor".
> > This my personal computer in my home and checking the user account tab in
> > the control panel I am the administrator with no guest.
> > I wonder if somehow, somewhere in the registry or ?? I'm no longer
> > recognized as the administrator. Since I want to drag and drop files and left
> > click on files so I can effect a change, that's why I'm wondering about being
> > the administrator.
> > Winxp SP2 all patches.
> > This started about 10 days ago and I have asked on other bulletin boards
> > with no help forthcoming.
> > TIA

Anonymous
August 29, 2005 5:59:50 PM

I do not know if any of this will help. Just some things to check out.

233. Right handside
Enable Drag and Drop

Remove Windows Explorer's default context menu
http://www.boyce.us/gp/gpcontent.asp?ID=544

http://www.boyce.us/gp/gpcontent.asp?ID=267

http://www.boyce.us/gp/gpcontent.asp?ID=353

http://www.boyce.us/gp/gpcontent.asp?ID=404

http://www.boyce.us/gp/gpcontent.asp?ID=667

http://www.boyce.us/gp/gpcontent.asp?ID=398

-----

Error Message: Your current security settings prohibit copying or moving
files from this zone
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;284995

How to Enable the My Computer Security Zone in Internet Options
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315933

How can I prevent users from performing a copy/paste or drag-and-drop
operation in Windows 2000 Explorer?
http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBG/TIP3300/rh3394.htm

[[Internet Explorer includes five predefined zones: Internet, Local
Intranet, Trusted Sites, Restricted Sites, and My Computer.]]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/174360/

[[You can access the security zone settings through the Internet Options
utility in Control Panel, but the My Computer security zone is not available
through the Internet Options utility.]]
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;284995

[[Note By default, My Computer does not appear in the Zone box on the
Security tab. ]]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/182569/

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.