Please help with a security question.

Please help with a security question....

Recently, after an update to my Windows XP Home SE, every time I try to open a
file (ie mp3, bat, etc) I get a "Open File - Security Waring".

Is there a way to disable this stupid window?

Thankz.

Anchor's aweigh,

The Admiral
Ask-me@for.it

Does this pc have a 3rd-party security or AV program running on it? Isn't it possible the message comes from one of those?

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 06:22:36 -0500, "Maurice N ~ MVP" <maurice@mvps.org> wrote:

>Does this pc have a 3rd-party security or AV program running on it? Isn't it possible the message comes from one of those?

Yes....I've disabled both of those and it still creeps up. The only way to
avoid it for now is to right click each file that causes this message and choose
properties. The last option is to "Unblock".

Some new security feature from Microsoft to track files downloaded from sources
on-line. Will forever prevent access to them unless you say "ok" each time you
start it or take the time/trouble to right click each file and "unblock" them.
I've tried right clicking a group at once and it will not let you unblock them
that way....only one at a time.

Anchor's aweigh,

The Admiral
Ask-me@for.it

I personally have not downloaded any MP3 files, or "bat", etc.
Are you seeing the message / prompt just after downloading with your
Internet Explorer browser?

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

"The Admiral" wrote
> On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 06:22:36 -0500, "Maurice N ~ MVP" <maurice@mvps.org>
> wrote:
>
>>Does this pc have a 3rd-party security or AV program running on it? Isn't
>>it possible the message comes from one of those?
>
> Yes....I've disabled both of those and it still creeps up. The only way
> avoid it for now is to right click each file that causes this message and
> choose
> properties. The last option is to "Unblock".
>
> Some new security feature from Microsoft to track files downloaded from
> sources
> on-line. Will forever prevent access to them unless you say "ok" each
> time you
> start it or take the time/trouble to right click each file and "unblock"
> them.
> I've tried right clicking a group at once and it will not let you unblock
> them
> that way....only one at a time.
>
> Anchor's aweigh,
>
> The Admiral
> Ask-me@for.it

Be sure to always keep your antivirus program on. Then try this for your IE
browser.
In main IE menu, Tools >Internet options> select Advanced tab. Scroll down
to security section.
Select (check) "allow active content to run in files on My Computer".

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 14:03:19 -0500, "Maurice N ~ MVP" <maurice@mvps.org> wrote:

>I personally have not downloaded any MP3 files, or "bat", etc.
>Are you seeing the message / prompt just after downloading with your
>Internet Explorer browser?
>
>--
>Maurice N
>MVP Windows - Shell / User

Prompt appears anytime the file is opened.

According to some other informatin I've gotten, it's MS's way of "protecting" us
from any file where Windows is not able to identify it's source (ie computer it
was created from). If you create on your own computer, it's safe...If it comes
from elseware, it's suspect...Unless that website/source is listed as a "trusted
zone"in the Internet Options.

Anchor's aweigh,

The Admiral
Ask-me@for.it