Ge Force 2 MX400 freezes, HELP !

G

I have a PC that freezes with 3D accellerated applications (D3D or OpenGL), but works fine with other applications.
It's an Athlon Xp1700+, motherboard ECS K7S5A (based on Sis 735 chipset), Nvidia Ge Force 2 MX400, 256Mbyte SDRAM and sounblaster live.
The first time I use a 3D application it freezes after few minutes. After the reboot it freezes after some seconds of use of a 3D application.
I tried to change BIOS setting and noticed that if I set the BUS setting to 100MHz instead of 133MHz the PC no longer freezes but obviously the CPU works at 1.1 GHz instead of 1.43GHz.
I also tried to set AGP at 2X instead of 4X and deallocate the IRQ for PCI VGA, but the problem persists.
Does anyone have an idea of how to solve this problem ?

Thanks

Fabrizio

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm not familiar with that motherboard, but did you check to make sure the AGP bus speed is set to 1/2 the Front side bus when the FSB is at 133Mhz? Because it sounds like maybe your videocard might be overheating. If your FSB is set to 100, the AGP should be set to 2/3. If FSB is 133, the AGP should be set to 1/2.

Also, make sure you have the latest BIOS update for your motherboard and latest video drivers.

Oh, and double check to make sure the video card is seated properly and that the fan is functioning (hardware monitor?).

Does that board support sideband addressing?

Catheter and Caffeine IV are in place. Let's PLAY.

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
What drivers are you useing? I have the same problem if I use any drivers newer than the 12.90 set. But if I use the 12.90 set or earlier everything is perfect :)

Crap, all the good ones are already taken.

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
Flyboy, where is that setting? Maybe thats why I can't use any driver higher than the 12.90 set? I looked in BIOS but didn't see and AGP bus speed.

Crap, all the good ones are already taken.

G

what temperature is the inside of the case, I had the same problem. The cause was lack of ventilation causing the card to overheat.

drunken_master

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2001
Well, I fixed my problem. It's exactly the same as yours. All I did was update my bios and change the RAM timing and so far nothing bad has happened. The only problem I see is if windows crashes on me and that will be a bummer.