Geforce2 detonator drivers + winxp - please help

G

I cant figure this out.... I just recently upgraded my system from a celeron 300a + abit bh6 board to a abit kg7 + AMD 1600+ xp chip, which I had winxp running on for over a month without any problems, I have an elsa gladiac geforce 2 which worked fine after doing an upgrade from win98 on my old board... anyway after installing new chip/mb I did a clean install of winxp, tried to load the xp detonator drivers for the geforce2 and system totally hangs on bootup, have to revert to the drivers that came with xp, which doesnt allow me to run 3d games like wolfenstein cause of the opengl driver, and sci soft sandra shows I have a generic opengl driver installed.. Are there any known issues with winxp and geforce2 cards?? I even went so far as to reinstall win98 SE (the 98 detonator drivers work fine), then upgrade to winxp, with the same problems.... can someone help me?? Thanks

G

yes I did use the latest drivers from december, another wierd problem im having (starts right after xp is installed), is system reboots automatically very often, Ive lowered the bus speed to 100 mhz to see if maybe I got some bad ram (I bought generic), I have a 300watt power supply, which should be sufficient, and Ive tried both 2x agp and 4x... again win98 drivers for the same card in win98 work fine, but when I install XP everything goes haywire... any other help would be appreciated.. thanks

G

I am having a similar problem. Comp freezes often and shuts down randomly too often for productive use.

My setup:
AMD Athlon XP 1600+ and retail heatsink / fan
Eagle Nvidia GeForce 2 GTS Pro with Detonator 23.11 drivers
Deer 300W power supply
ASUS A7V266-e with latest 4-in-1 drivers
512mb Mushkin DDR
Creative Audigy Gamer with latest drivers
Maxtor 20GB 7200rpm
TDK Velocd 24x
Windows ME - upgraded to XP

I have had occasional freezes over the past month, but two nights ago I started having real problems. Freezing constantly and shutting down for no reason.

I used fdisk to delete and reestablish a primary partition (only use one). Then I reformatted and reinstalled Windows ME with only the Video Card and NIC installed. I downloaded the latest video drivers (23.11) and 4-in-1 Via drivers. I thought it might be the sound card so I didn't even install it. I thought maybe it was XP giving me trouble so I just left it as ME. But alas, I'm still having trouble.

The only thing left I can think of is that it is my video card or NIC causing the problems or that 300W is not enough power for the XP 1600+. I noticed you are using 300W as well.

Are these the kind of problems one might experience if you weren't getting enough power to the comp?

G

you have a similar setup as me, I havent messed with removing all he peripherals yet, being that the issues Im
having are mostly in XP, I just installed the 4 in 1 drivers for the VIA chipset, Im thinking there may be other issues with the VIA and my graphics card, cause i didnt have these problems with my old mb/processor in xp... but ever since this new board/chip xp reboots itself constantly, the bios only ever shows the degrees on the cpu hit 95-102F or so. What error report message do you get in XP after its been rebooted? Can you print it on here?

cxl6909

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2002
The newest detonator driver from Nvidia is not always work for all computers. I would suggest you go back to previous driver. Maybe go for WinXP_21.83 detonator driver not v23.11 which I have same situation as everyone here...it freezs my workstation sometimes.

G

where can I download that version of the drivers?? nvidias site only lists the latest detonators from what i could find... thanks