Are 1394 ports standard on XPS5?

I'm getting ready to buy XPS5 and was going thru the customization steps and noticed an option for a 1394 adapter!

But looking at the tech specs, seems like the XPS5 has 1394 ports on front and rear as standard.

Anyone know if the firewire port has to be specifically added in the customize section to have it incorporated on PC?

BigJim

don't know but you can always buy a pcmcia card for about 15 dollars.

"N Hamilton" <nospamnedh@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
> I'm getting ready to buy XPS5 and was going thru the customization steps
> and noticed an option for a 1394 adapter!
>
> But looking at the tech specs, seems like the XPS5 has 1394 ports on front
> and rear as standard.
>
> Anyone know if the firewire port has to be specifically added in the
> customize section to have it incorporated on PC?

william

I think its part of the Audigy sound card. ..so you would not need an
additional adapter
Bill

"N Hamilton" <nospamnedh@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
> I'm getting ready to buy XPS5 and was going thru the customization steps
> and noticed an option for a 1394 adapter!
>
> But looking at the tech specs, seems like the XPS5 has 1394 ports on front
> and rear as standard.
>
> Anyone know if the firewire port has to be specifically added in the
> customize section to have it incorporated on PC?

But where would you put a PCMCIA card on a desktop?

"BigJim" <woody10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> don't know but you can always buy a pcmcia card for about 15 dollars.
>
> "N Hamilton" <nospamnedh@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
>> I'm getting ready to buy XPS5 and was going thru the customization steps
>> and noticed an option for a 1394 adapter!
>>
>> But looking at the tech specs, seems like the XPS5 has 1394 ports on
>> front and rear as standard.
>>
>> Anyone know if the firewire port has to be specifically added in the
>> customize section to have it incorporated on PC?

BigJim

opps, he could get a pci card with a 1394 like me.
> But where would you put a PCMCIA card on a desktop?
>

> "BigJim" <woody10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> don't know but you can always buy a pcmcia card for about 15 dollars.
>>
>> "N Hamilton" <nospamnedh@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm getting ready to buy XPS5 and was going thru the customization steps
>>> and noticed an option for a 1394 adapter!
>>>
>>> But looking at the tech specs, seems like the XPS5 has 1394 ports on
>>> front and rear as standard.
>>>
>>> Anyone know if the firewire port has to be specifically added in the
>>> customize section to have it incorporated on PC?

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 19:29:12 GMT, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, "N Hamilton"
<nospamnedh@nc.rr.com> wrote:

>I'm getting ready to buy XPS5 and was going thru the customization steps and noticed an option for a 1394 adapter!
>
>But looking at the tech specs, seems like the XPS5 has 1394 ports on front and rear as standard.
>
>Anyone know if the firewire port has to be specifically added in the customize section to have it incorporated on PC?

Well, you could wait until Monday when my XPS 5 shows up, and then I'll tell
you (if I remember; I'll probably be in too much of a tizzy over my new
toy!). :)

Check the XPS 5 docs, in the support area on Dell's web site at
<http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dimxpsg5/>.

Or right here: front and back views:
<http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dimxpsg5/sm/about0.htm#wp1050681>.

The pictures show one IEEE 1394 on the front and one on the back; no idea
what the optional adapter is for.

If you want to confirm it, you could try Dell chat from their web site for
an answer from somebody at Dell.

I puzzled over the same thing when I customized mine. That option gives you
a choice between a serial port adapter or an IEEE 1394 adapter: one or the
other, but NOT both. I needed a serial port but not the IEEE 1394, so I
took serial and didn't worry about that.

--
Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

Nick's First Law of Computer Virus Complaints:

Just because your computer is acting strangely or one of your programs
doesn't work right, this does NOT mean that your computer has a virus.

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 00:12:05 GMT, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, Nick
<tanstaafl@pobox.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 19:29:12 GMT, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, "N Hamilton"
><nospamnedh@nc.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>I'm getting ready to buy XPS5 and was going thru the customization steps and noticed an option for a 1394 adapter!
>>
>>But looking at the tech specs, seems like the XPS5 has 1394 ports on front and rear as standard.
>>
>>Anyone know if the firewire port has to be specifically added in the customize section to have it incorporated on PC?
>
>Well, you could wait until Monday when my XPS 5 shows up, and then I'll tell
>you (if I remember; I'll probably be in too much of a tizzy over my new
>toy!). :)
>
>Check the XPS 5 docs, in the support area on Dell's web site at
><http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dimxpsg5/>.
>
>Or right here: front and back views:
><http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dimxpsg5/sm/about0.htm#wp1050681>.
>
>The pictures show one IEEE 1394 on the front and one on the back; no idea
>what the optional adapter is for.

Well, it's here and it has an IEEE 1394 on the front (under the small panel)
and one on the back. At least, I assume that's what kind of ports they are;
I've never actually seen an IEEE 1394 port before, but these ports are in
the right place and don't look like any other kind of port I've seen before.

But still no idea what the optional IEEE 1394 adapter is for. I got the
serial port adapter, and that connector is mounted in the back opening for
one of the card slots. Haven't looked to see if it's on an actual card or
it's just a blank sheet of metal with the connector on it.

--

"Nick" <tanstaafl@pobox.com> wrote in message

> On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 00:12:05 GMT, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, Nick
> <tanstaafl@pobox.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 19:29:12 GMT, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, "N Hamilton"
>><nospamnedh@nc.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I'm getting ready to buy XPS5 and was going thru the customization steps
>>>and noticed an option for a 1394 adapter!
>>>
>>>But looking at the tech specs, seems like the XPS5 has 1394 ports on
>>>front and rear as standard.
>>>
>>>Anyone know if the firewire port has to be specifically added in the
>>>customize section to have it incorporated on PC?
>>
>>Well, you could wait until Monday when my XPS 5 shows up, and then I'll
>>tell
>>you (if I remember; I'll probably be in too much of a tizzy over my new
>>toy!). :)
>>
>>Check the XPS 5 docs, in the support area on Dell's web site at
>><http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dimxpsg5/>.
>>
>>Or right here: front and back views:
>><http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dimxpsg5/sm/about0.htm#wp1050681>.
>>
>>The pictures show one IEEE 1394 on the front and one on the back; no idea
>>what the optional adapter is for.
>
> Well, it's here and it has an IEEE 1394 on the front (under the small
> panel)
> and one on the back. At least, I assume that's what kind of ports they
> are;
> I've never actually seen an IEEE 1394 port before, but these ports are in
> the right place and don't look like any other kind of port I've seen
> before.
>
> But still no idea what the optional IEEE 1394 adapter is for. I got the
> serial port adapter, and that connector is mounted in the back opening for
> one of the card slots. Haven't looked to see if it's on an actual card or
> it's just a blank sheet of metal with the connector on it.
>
> --
> Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

Nick,

A Firewire port and a USB2 port look pretty much the same. The Firewire is
a littel smaller and has a little 1/2 diamond at one end.

TRENDING THREADS