Paul

Splendid

I have been getting repeated messages along the lines of:

WINHLP1.EXE HAS CAUSED AN ILLEGAL INSTRUCTION IN NTVDM CPU

I have also found a file called winhlp.dllalias which has references to a
website called Americanfurniturewarehouse.com which repeatedly causes a
pop-up on my internet explorer. Deleting this file has no long term effect.
It just reappears.

Any ideas how to cure?

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:F284A509-5EDB-46B0-B308-97995E70BB4C@microsoft.com,
Paul <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I have been getting repeated messages along the lines of:
>
> WINHLP1.EXE HAS CAUSED AN ILLEGAL INSTRUCTION IN NTVDM CPU
>
> I have also found a file called winhlp.dllalias which has references
> to a website called Americanfurniturewarehouse.com which repeatedly
> causes a pop-up on my internet explorer. Deleting this file has no
> long term effect. It just reappears.
>
> Any ideas how to cure?

Sounds like you're the victim of malware...

Malware Cleaning :
http://kgiii.info/windows/all/general/malwarefix.html

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

Paul

Splendid

Thanks Galen. Seems to have done the trick.

"Galen" wrote:

> In news:F284A509-5EDB-46B0-B308-97995E70BB4C@microsoft.com,
> Paul <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> > I have been getting repeated messages along the lines of:
> >
> > WINHLP1.EXE HAS CAUSED AN ILLEGAL INSTRUCTION IN NTVDM CPU
> >
> > I have also found a file called winhlp.dllalias which has references
> > to a website called Americanfurniturewarehouse.com which repeatedly
> > causes a pop-up on my internet explorer. Deleting this file has no
> > long term effect. It just reappears.
> >
> > Any ideas how to cure?
>
> Sounds like you're the victim of malware...
>
> Malware Cleaning :
> http://kgiii.info/windows/all/general/malwarefix.html
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "You know that a conjurer gets no credit when once he has explained his
> trick; and if I show you too much of my method of working, you will
> come to the conclusion that I am a very ordinary individual after all."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:F844C03D-E084-4067-85E7-1C7439C159BF@microsoft.com,
Paul <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Thanks Galen. Seems to have done the trick.
>
> "Galen" wrote:
>
>> In news:F284A509-5EDB-46B0-B308-97995E70BB4C@microsoft.com,
>> Paul <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

>>> I have been getting repeated messages along the lines of:
>>>
>>> WINHLP1.EXE HAS CAUSED AN ILLEGAL INSTRUCTION IN NTVDM CPU
>>>
>>> I have also found a file called winhlp.dllalias which has references
>>> to a website called Americanfurniturewarehouse.com which repeatedly
>>> causes a pop-up on my internet explorer. Deleting this file has no
>>> long term effect. It just reappears.
>>>
>>> Any ideas how to cure?
>>
>> Sounds like you're the victim of malware...
>>
>> Malware Cleaning :
>> http://kgiii.info/windows/all/general/malwarefix.html
>>
>> Galen
>> --
>>
>> "You know that a conjurer gets no credit when once he has explained
>> his trick; and if I show you too much of my method of working, you
>> will come to the conclusion that I am a very ordinary individual
>> after all."
>>
>> Sherlock Holmes

No problem, for curiosity sake which application cleared it up and what was
the name of the malware?

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

Paul

Splendid

Not sure I can answer that..

I ran the instruction 'netsh winsock reset', and that has cured the illegal
NTVDM instruction messages. I then downloaded A Squared which found a single
instance of malware... I'm afraid I deleted it without noting it down, sorry.
I also downloaded Windows Anti-Spyware (Beta), but this found nothing.

Lo and behold, American Furniure Warehouse.com has just popped up again.

I'm sure it's something to do with this winhlp.dllalais file.

I'll run all the cleaners again and see what happens...

Cheers mate

Paul

"Galen" wrote:

> In news:F844C03D-E084-4067-85E7-1C7439C159BF@microsoft.com,
> Paul <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> > Thanks Galen. Seems to have done the trick.
> >
> > "Galen" wrote:
> >
> >> In news:F284A509-5EDB-46B0-B308-97995E70BB4C@microsoft.com,
> >> Paul <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:
> >>
> >> My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:

> >> Sounds like you're the victim of malware...
> >>
> >> Malware Cleaning :
> >> http://kgiii.info/windows/all/general/malwarefix.html
> >>
> >> Galen
> >> --
> >>
> >> "You know that a conjurer gets no credit when once he has explained
> >> his trick; and if I show you too much of my method of working, you
> >> will come to the conclusion that I am a very ordinary individual
> >> after all."
> >>
> >> Sherlock Holmes
>
> No problem, for curiosity sake which application cleared it up and what was
> the name of the malware?
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "You know that a conjurer gets no credit when once he has explained his
> trick; and if I show you too much of my method of working, you will
> come to the conclusion that I am a very ordinary individual after all."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:7618A056-F383-4521-AE1E-675A8BF41332@microsoft.com,
Paul <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Not sure I can answer that..
>
> I ran the instruction 'netsh winsock reset', and that has cured the
> illegal NTVDM instruction messages. I then downloaded A Squared
> which found a single instance of malware... I'm afraid I deleted it
> without noting it down, sorry. I also downloaded Windows Anti-Spyware
> (Beta), but this found nothing.
>
> Lo and behold, American Furniure Warehouse.com has just popped up
> again.
>
> I'm sure it's something to do with this winhlp.dllalais file.
>
> I'll run all the cleaners again and see what happens...
>
> Cheers mate
>
> Paul
>
> "Galen" wrote:
>
>> In news:F844C03D-E084-4067-85E7-1C7439C159BF@microsoft.com,
>> Paul <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

>>> Thanks Galen. Seems to have done the trick.

>> No problem, for curiosity sake which application cleared it up and
>> what was the name of the malware?
>>
>> Galen
>> --
>>
>> "You know that a conjurer gets no credit when once he has explained
>> his trick; and if I show you too much of my method of working, you
>> will
>> come to the conclusion that I am a very ordinary individual after
>> all."
>>
>> Sherlock Holmes

<g> Let me know how it turns out. I can say that I've never HEARD of a
furniture store using hijackware. That doesn't mean they don't, just means
that I've never heard of it. Make sure to delete all your temp internet
files, including offline content, and maybe your cookies too if you don't
have any special ones saved.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

Paul

Splendid

Galen,

May have cracked it. In the Advanced Tools section of Microsofts Anti
Spyware, I found an IE BHO (all new things to me) attached to winhlp32.dll.
I took up the offer of permanently blocking the BHO, and in the last 2 hours
(fingers crossed) no pop-ups.

Like you say, an unusual company. It's more often some form of porn site!

Ta,

Paul