Upgrading Memory - Help or Advise Please!

Have a Dell OptiPlex GX60S - 40GB with 128 memory and runs slow (1.5
years old).

Office Depot and Staples say to add a memory board to it. Bought a PNY
512 memory board (with rebate/good deal) and read instructions in Dell
User's Guide on PC which seem not to complicated until near the end
about the PC detecting the PC was opened and then pressing F2 to enter
system setup and check the value for System Memory which I guess should
then be 640.

Called PNY support about the PC detecting the PC was opened and they
never heard of a PC that could do that and he said he would have a PC
tech do it then if he were me, which scared me. I am not really
familiar in doing this type of work and a newbie with PCs.

Has anyone ever done this in this group and know if a novice like me can
do this as I am leary on trying this (need inspiration I guess)?

Can I mix a 128 PNY MB with a 512 Dell MB and does it matter _which MB
is installed in the #1 slot first_?

Thanks for any advise or help before I decide to attempt this and am
sorry later. Al
5 answers Last reply
More about upgrading memory advise please

    F2 is just the BIOS no big deal. The actual
    insertion of the new memory is where the problems
    will be if you're unfamiliar. There are step by
    step instructions here.
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx60/en/ug/index.htm

    Pen wrote:

    > F2 is just the BIOS no big deal. The actual
    > insertion of the new memory is where the problems
    > will be if you're unfamiliar. There are step by
    > step instructions here.
    > http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx60/en/ug/index.htm

    A big factor is whether, or not, the *types* of memory are the same.

    Properly installing incomtabable memory won't do you a damn bit of good!

    Notan

    Notan wrote:

    > Pen wrote:
    > >
    > > F2 is just the BIOS no big deal. The actual
    > > insertion of the new memory is where the problems
    > > will be if you're unfamiliar. There are step by
    > > step instructions here.
    > > http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx60/en/ug/index.htm
    >
    > A big factor is whether, or not, the *types* of memory are the same.
    >
    > Properly installing incomtabable memory won't do you a damn bit of good!

    That was supposed to be "incompatable."

    Nice spell checker, huh? <g>

    Notan

    When purchasing RAM, you must use the specific type designed for your
    computer. Also, it's absolutely worth the extra few dollars to buy top
    quality RAM, which is rarely found at places like Office Depot and Staples.

    As for installing RAM: It's just about the easiest upgrade to do, which
    means that you *can* do it on your own.

    I would be prepared to take my loss on the PNY memory and go to a place like
    Crucial (www.crucial,com) where they've got a memory selector that points
    you to the exact RAM for your computer. Their web site also has lots of
    information on selecting and installing RAM. You will pay a bit more, but
    you're getting top quality RAM. Considering how important RAM is, why would
    anyone get 'bargain' RAM?

    Ted Zieglar

    "A l" <silal56@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Have a Dell OptiPlex GX60S - 40GB with 128 memory and runs slow (1.5
    > years old).
    >
    > Office Depot and Staples say to add a memory board to it. Bought a PNY
    > 512 memory board (with rebate/good deal) and read instructions in Dell
    > User's Guide on PC which seem not to complicated until near the end
    > about the PC detecting the PC was opened and then pressing F2 to enter
    > system setup and check the value for System Memory which I guess should
    > then be 640.
    >
    > Called PNY support about the PC detecting the PC was opened and they
    > never heard of a PC that could do that and he said he would have a PC
    > tech do it then if he were me, which scared me. I am not really
    > familiar in doing this type of work and a newbie with PCs.
    >
    > Has anyone ever done this in this group and know if a novice like me can
    > do this as I am leary on trying this (need inspiration I guess)?
    >
    > Can I mix a 128 PNY MB with a 512 Dell MB and does it matter _which MB
    > is installed in the #1 slot first_?
    >
    > Thanks for any advise or help before I decide to attempt this and am
    > sorry later. Al

    Download MEMTEST-86 and prepare a bootable floppy per the instructions on the
    MEMTEST-86 web site. Then unplug the computer from its power source, open up
    the chassis, install the memory. The memory should fit snugly in the DIMM
    socket, and the pair of retaining clips should snap into place when you push
    down on the DIMM. Close the chassis, plug in the computer, insert the
    MEMTEST-86 floppy, and boot up the computer. Let MEMTEST-86 run through several
    test cycles. If it runs without errors, you are all set. If it identifies even
    ONE error, then the memory is not compatible with your computer.

    For the most part, Dell uses commodity off-the-shelf memory, so as long as the
    memory meets the Dell spec, you should be OK. PNY memory is not top-drawer, but
    it's not cheap schlock either... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 17:21:50 -0400, silal56@hotmail.com (A l) wrote:

    >Have a Dell OptiPlex GX60S - 40GB with 128 memory and runs slow (1.5
    >years old).
    >
    >Office Depot and Staples say to add a memory board to it. Bought a PNY
    >512 memory board (with rebate/good deal) and read instructions in Dell
    >User's Guide on PC which seem not to complicated until near the end
    >about the PC detecting the PC was opened and then pressing F2 to enter
    >system setup and check the value for System Memory which I guess should
    >then be 640.
    >
    >Called PNY support about the PC detecting the PC was opened and they
    >never heard of a PC that could do that and he said he would have a PC
    >tech do it then if he were me, which scared me. I am not really
    >familiar in doing this type of work and a newbie with PCs.
    >
    >Has anyone ever done this in this group and know if a novice like me can
    >do this as I am leary on trying this (need inspiration I guess)?
    >
    >Can I mix a 128 PNY MB with a 512 Dell MB and does it matter _which MB
    >is installed in the #1 slot first_?
    >
    >Thanks for any advise or help before I decide to attempt this and am
    >sorry later. Al

Dell Memory Computers