What kind of foil when making home made antenna?

Taking a moment's reflection, Hamish McStill mused:

| Is kitchen foil okay?

If it weren't, it wouldn't be "home" made ...

"mhicaoidh" <®êmõvé_mhic_aoidh@hotÑîXmailSPäM.com> wrote in message
> Taking a moment's reflection, Hamish McStill mused:
> |
> | Is kitchen foil okay?
>
> If it weren't, it wouldn't be "home" made ...

Thought maybe that really shiny foil used in heating and airconditioning
might be better.

Thanks,

Ham

made a pair of small curved reflectors that work really well here.
hardware store has alum rolls of roof gutter flashing for about $2.00us per
meter and about $1.50us for a big thick styrofoam picnic cooler. Used
clear packing tape to stick shaped styrofoam to hold the reflector curve top
and center. Poked some plastic tube thru that foam at the right spot and
now I can just slip them over antenna's. Straight edge and the back side
of a knife scored the alum just right to snap off the dimensions ,,,
neater/easier than cutting crooked with tin snips.

Took a whole lot more time to drive to the hardware and walk in/out of the
grocery store for the cooler than it did to make a pair of pretty usefull
things.

"Hamish McStill" <chap2003@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "mhicaoidh" <®êmõvé_mhic_aoidh@hotÑîXmailSPäM.com> wrote in message
> > Taking a moment's reflection, Hamish McStill mused:
> > |
> > | Is kitchen foil okay?
> >
> > If it weren't, it wouldn't be "home" made ...
>
> Thought maybe that really shiny foil used in heating and airconditioning
> might be better.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ham

What did you use for a pattern or where did you get the dimensions, etc.?

Tx,

"bumtracks" <user@unknown.org> wrote in message
> made a pair of small curved reflectors that work really well here.
> hardware store has alum rolls of roof gutter flashing for about $2.00us
per
> meter and about $1.50us for a big thick styrofoam picnic cooler. Used
> clear packing tape to stick shaped styrofoam to hold the reflector curve
top
> and center. Poked some plastic tube thru that foam at the right spot and
> now I can just slip them over antenna's. Straight edge and the back
side
> of a knife scored the alum just right to snap off the dimensions ,,,
> neater/easier than cutting crooked with tin snips.
>
> Took a whole lot more time to drive to the hardware and walk in/out of the
> grocery store for the cooler than it did to make a pair of pretty usefull
> things.
>
> "Hamish McStill" <chap2003@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "mhicaoidh" <®êmõvé_mhic_aoidh@hotÑîXmailSPäM.com> wrote in message
> > > Taking a moment's reflection, Hamish McStill mused:

> > > If it weren't, it wouldn't be "home" made ...
> >
> > Thought maybe that really shiny foil used in heating and airconditioning
> > might be better.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Ham

Taking a moment's reflection, Hamish McStill mused:

| Thought maybe that really shiny foil used in heating and airconditioning
| might be better.

It might be. I was mainly being cheeky. ;-)

Taking a moment's reflection, Hamish McStill mused:

| What did you use for a pattern or where did you get the dimensions, etc.?

Try here, mate. I used the EZ-10 templates. They also have templates
and instructions on the curved type mentioned, presumably, by bumtracks.

http://www.freeantennas.com/

yep,,, print out the curve a couple times at different sizes until you like
what you see
then just cut it out , tape it down to a piece of foam, and take a hack or
whatever saw blade to a couple or more pieces of stacked foam and make it
neat later.