When I double click My Computer on the desktop or in the startup area, it
takes about a minute to show its contents. All other folder options are
immediate.
Also, when I click on Send To it takes about a half minute to display options.
Does anyone have an idea as to why this might be happening.

Do a check for Malware. You can use these free sites

http://www.download.com/Bazooka-Adware-and-Spyware-Scanner/3640-8022_4-10377953.html?sb=1&v=0

http://www.webroot.com/

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

"Cootman" <Cootman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I double click My Computer on the desktop or in the startup area, it
> takes about a minute to show its contents. All other folder options are
> immediate.
> Also, when I click on Send To it takes about a half minute to display
> options.
> Does anyone have an idea as to why this might be happening.

I have Norton Internet security and ran bazooka, unfortunately this did not
help. Thank you for your reply.

"Rich Barry" wrote:

> Do a check for Malware. You can use these free sites
> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
>
> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
>
> http://www.download.com/Bazooka-Adware-and-Spyware-Scanner/3640-8022_4-10377953.html?sb=1&v=0
>
> http://www.webroot.com/
>
> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
>

> "Cootman" <Cootman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I double click My Computer on the desktop or in the startup area, it
> > takes about a minute to show its contents. All other folder options are
> > immediate.
> > Also, when I click on Send To it takes about a half minute to display
> > options.
> > Does anyone have an idea as to why this might be happening.

I had similar symptoms when I had Cdr media in my flaky cd burner

"Cootman" <Cootman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I double click My Computer on the desktop or in the startup area, it
> takes about a minute to show its contents. All other folder options are
> immediate.
> Also, when I click on Send To it takes about a half minute to display
> options.
> Does anyone have an idea as to why this might be happening.

I fixed the problem by unchecking the Windows Image Acquisition box in the
System Configuration Utility. This was basically through trial and error. I
do not know what this does(WIA) but by de-activating it --it worked.
Do you know what this is for.

Thanks for your responses