so frustrated with new computer

Hi everyone
I hope someone can help me, I am fairly new to computers.
I have a 2 month old computer. HP Pavillion running WINXP with DVD burner
and a CD Drive.

I have had it in to the store for repairs (STAPLES) twice now. I will have
to take it in again.
Problem is I will be using it fine and then walk away and when I come back
later the screen goes to black with the words Reboot and select proper boot
media.
So i do that and nothing works I cannot get into windows. I will try this
on and off during the day and then will sometimes get to the screen where it
shows a bunch of messages including Master Boot Record Error. One time it
said backup your files hard drive failure imminent.

The thing is the last time I took it in for repair on this problem (last
week) the tech said it started up fine but he saw spyware on it when he did
a scan. So he sold me Spysweeper and charged for installation ($68.00)
Said the problem was spyware. There was already a spyware program on my
computer preinstalled plus Norton Security with all the bells and whistles.
Like I said this is a brand new computer.

So I get this supposedly fixed computer home yesterday and start it up no
problem. But later in the day it went to that boot screen again. (same
problem)

So now I am using my old WINME computer to talk to you guys.

Question is what is going on and how do I resolve this issue.

Should I take it back for repair. Should I ask for a brand new one?

Also if they exchange my computer, what about all my documents and photos
that are on my computer, I have backups but I don't want to leave them with
my personal info.

Sorry this is so long but I don't know what to do and I am so frustrated.
Thanks in advance.
I will await your replies anxiously.
10 answers Last reply
More about frustrated computer

    "Ninip" <gwen6039@home.com> wrote in message
    > Hi everyone
    > I hope someone can help me, I am fairly new to computers.
    > I have a 2 month old computer. HP Pavillion running WINXP with DVD burner
    > and a CD Drive.
    >
    > I have had it in to the store for repairs (STAPLES) twice now. I will
    have
    > to take it in again.
    > Problem is I will be using it fine and then walk away and when I come back
    > later the screen goes to black with the words Reboot and select proper
    boot
    > media.
    > So i do that and nothing works I cannot get into windows. I will try this
    > on and off during the day and then will sometimes get to the screen where
    it
    > shows a bunch of messages including Master Boot Record Error. One time it
    > said backup your files hard drive failure imminent.
    >
    > The thing is the last time I took it in for repair on this problem (last
    > week) the tech said it started up fine but he saw spyware on it when he
    did
    > a scan. So he sold me Spysweeper and charged for installation ($68.00)
    > Said the problem was spyware. There was already a spyware program on my
    > computer preinstalled plus Norton Security with all the bells and
    whistles.
    > Like I said this is a brand new computer.
    >
    > So I get this supposedly fixed computer home yesterday and start it up no
    > problem. But later in the day it went to that boot screen again. (same
    > problem)
    >
    > So now I am using my old WINME computer to talk to you guys.
    >
    > Question is what is going on and how do I resolve this issue.
    >
    > Should I take it back for repair. Should I ask for a brand new one?
    >
    > Also if they exchange my computer, what about all my documents and photos
    > that are on my computer, I have backups but I don't want to leave them
    with
    > my personal info.
    >
    > Sorry this is so long but I don't know what to do and I am so frustrated.
    > Thanks in advance.
    > I will await your replies anxiously.

    Ninip

    You go to the Staples store with your computer, and you stand in the
    computer department and make a fuss in front of any other customers
    present.. when approached by management, you make it clear to them that you
    will continue to do this until such time as they fix your computer..

    This assumes that it is a hardware problem of course.. Staples can't be held
    responsible for what a computer user does to the computer after it has left
    the store.. Staples is only responsible for defects caused during
    manufacture and finishing..

    It would help your cause to take it to an independent computer technician
    and get a second opinion on whether it is a hardware issue or not.. re.
    spyware, it is unfortunate that computer users have to be so guarded about
    what they do and where they go..

    I will give you some things to do, none of them being beyond the scope of a
    newbie.. but first, a few lines about what to avoid..

    Spyware and its associates lurk in all places.. P2P services are among the
    biggest spreaders of grief, so avoid programs like Kazaa for instance.. even
    if you install the so-called spyware free versions, files downloaded from
    these services can be devastating.. there are users of these services that
    deliberately make infected files available to the unwary.. others just do
    not realise that their systems are infecting those of others in a covert
    manner..

    Websites offering free programs often have 'sponsor' software that comes
    down with them.. it is important when installing free programs to look
    carefully at check boxes.. if you are given the option to NOT install
    sponsor material, take it..

    Something else to be wary about.. replying to e-mails that offer services
    that you really don't want.. replying very often leads to floods of other
    internet 'waste'.. just delete them.. and one more thing on this topic.. I
    have noticed that the Microsoft Cumulative Patch e-mail has surfaced again..
    Microsoft do NOT send patches out to 'Dear Friend' EVER.. do not open them..
    just delete them..

    Run the processes below in order.. none of the processes are beyond the
    abilities of a newbie user..

    OK.. start by turning OFF the System Restore function.. click on the Start
    button.. right click on 'My Computer', then select Properties.. now select
    the 'System Restore' tab..

    Check the box "Turn off System Restore" or "Turn off System Restore on all
    drives".. now click on 'Apply'.. you will be asked if it is ok to lose all
    restore points.. answer YES to this.. now click on 'OK'

    Now to the removal process..

    Run a one shot virus remover.. I have found that McAfee Stinger works for
    people.. download and run it..

    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

    Another alternative is ..

    Finish this process first..

    You will also need to download Spyware removal software.. Spybot and Adaware
    are available at these websites.. both are free.. download and run them..
    don't forget to check for updates after you have started them..

    .... and this link is for the latest Microsoft helping..

    Spybot has the ability to immunize a system, but there is better for this
    function, so download and run Spyware Blaster too.. again, check for
    updates..

    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/

    The above programs all need to be updated after the initial install.. do
    this, and then run them..

    Time to turn ON System Restore.. this is obviously like turning it OFF, so
    just reverse the procedure..

    If you have had your Internet browser hijacked, that is to say, you get
    redirected through a search engine NOT of your choosing, you will need
    different tools.. the best website for tools to rid yourself of home page
    hijackers is.............

    http://www.pchell.com

    Mark Hasting has put much work into this site.. it is an invaluable site,
    both for reference and fix-its..

    You must also run a firewall and anti-virus program.. here are some links
    for you..

    http://www.mcafee.com

    http://www.zonealarm.com

    http://www.kerio.com

    http://www.sygate.com

    http://www.grisoft.com

    If you do not run a firewall and anti-virus solution, you are leaving
    yourself open to attacks of all kinds.. these two types of program are your
    first line of defence..

    So by now, your system should be in reasonable shape.. you will have tools
    'locked and loaded', ready for weekly use against those who seek to destroy
    your pleasure.. incorporate these into a housekeeping policy that includes
    running Defragmenter and Disk Cleanup, and you will be able to easily
    maintain your system..

    Please return to this thread and provide feedback.. it is the only way that
    helpers here can determine how effective the advice given has been..

    Good luck..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    > Hi everyone
    > I hope someone can help me, I am fairly new to computers.
    > I have a 2 month old computer. HP Pavillion running WINXP with DVD burner
    > and a CD Drive.
    >
    > I have had it in to the store for repairs (STAPLES) twice now. I will
    > have
    > to take it in again.
    > Problem is I will be using it fine and then walk away and when I come back
    > later the screen goes to black with the words Reboot and select proper
    > boot
    > media.
    > So i do that and nothing works I cannot get into windows. I will try this
    > on and off during the day and then will sometimes get to the screen where
    > it
    > shows a bunch of messages including Master Boot Record Error. One time it
    > said backup your files hard drive failure imminent.
    >
    > The thing is the last time I took it in for repair on this problem (last
    > week) the tech said it started up fine but he saw spyware on it when he
    > did
    > a scan. So he sold me Spysweeper and charged for installation ($68.00)
    > Said the problem was spyware. There was already a spyware program on my
    > computer preinstalled plus Norton Security with all the bells and
    > whistles.
    > Like I said this is a brand new computer.
    >
    > So I get this supposedly fixed computer home yesterday and start it up no
    > problem. But later in the day it went to that boot screen again. (same
    > problem)
    >
    > So now I am using my old WINME computer to talk to you guys.
    >
    > Question is what is going on and how do I resolve this issue.
    >
    > Should I take it back for repair. Should I ask for a brand new one?
    >
    > Also if they exchange my computer, what about all my documents and photos
    > that are on my computer, I have backups but I don't want to leave them
    > with
    > my personal info.
    >
    > Sorry this is so long but I don't know what to do and I am so frustrated.
    > Thanks in advance.
    > I will await your replies anxiously.

    Thanks for all the goodwebsites and info.

    But I cannot get to my desktop to use any of these.
    My computer will not go beyond the HP screen and then it goes to a black
    screen with the words Reboot and select proper boot media.
    Thanks

> [...]
    > > computer preinstalled plus Norton Security with all the bells and
    > > whistles.
    > > Like I said this is a brand new computer.
    > >
    > > So I get this supposedly fixed computer home yesterday and start it up
    no
    > > problem. But later in the day it went to that boot screen again. (same
    > > problem)
    > >
    > > So now I am using my old WINME computer to talk to you guys.
    > >
    > > Question is what is going on and how do I resolve this issue.
    > >
    > > Should I take it back for repair. Should I ask for a brand new one?
    > >
    > > Also if they exchange my computer, what about all my documents and
    photos
    > > that are on my computer, I have backups but I don't want to leave them
    > > with
    > > my personal info.
    > >
    > > Sorry this is so long but I don't know what to do and I am so

    Before doing anything else to the computer, take it back and get the
    technician to fire it up..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    > Also if they exchange my computer, what about all my documents and photos
    >> that are on my computer, I have backups but I don't want to leave them
    >> with
    >> my personal info.

    I would settle for nothing short of a replacement at this stage. Staples
    can easily do it and just send the defective one back to HP, no skin of
    their back. The tech said he could start it up last time you brought it in.
    Have him/her start it up again and then copy your data to a CD-Rs. Make the
    sure the CD-Rs are readable before accepting them.

    I have backup cd's of my personal files and pics at home.
    My question is Everything is still on the faulty computer which I cannot
    delete because I cannot get into windows.
    so when I give them back their faulty computer for an exchange, they will
    also have all my personal info.
    What do people do in a case like this?
    Thanks

    "Peter A. Stavrakoglou" <ntotrr@optonline.net> wrote in message
    > "Ninip" <gwen6039@home.com> wrote in message
    > > Also if they exchange my computer, what about all my documents and
    photos
    > >> that are on my computer, I have backups but I don't want to leave them
    > >> with
    > >> my personal info.
    >
    > I would settle for nothing short of a replacement at this stage. Staples
    > can easily do it and just send the defective one back to HP, no skin of
    > their back. The tech said he could start it up last time you brought it
    in.
    > Have him/her start it up again and then copy your data to a CD-Rs. Make
    the
    > sure the CD-Rs are readable before accepting them.

    "Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote:

    >OK.. start by turning OFF the System Restore function.. click on the Start
    >button.. right click on 'My Computer', then select Properties.. now select
    >the 'System Restore' tab..
    >
    >Check the box "Turn off System Restore" or "Turn off System Restore on all
    >drives".. now click on 'Apply'.. you will be asked if it is ok to lose all
    >restore points.. answer YES to this.. now click on 'OK'

    No. Nay. Never.

    Never repeat never disable System Restore on an infected computer
    until *after* the infection has been cleaned up. Restoring back to an
    infected state is still preferable to having a computer left unusable
    because of a botched cleanup.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Ron

    In more than a few cases, System Restore is paralysed anyway.. I don't even
    have it enabled on mine..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    > "Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote:
    >

    >>OK.. start by turning OFF the System Restore function.. click on the Start
    >>button.. right click on 'My Computer', then select Properties.. now select
    >>the 'System Restore' tab..
    >>
    >>Check the box "Turn off System Restore" or "Turn off System Restore on all
    >>drives".. now click on 'Apply'.. you will be asked if it is ok to lose all
    >>restore points.. answer YES to this.. now click on 'OK'
    >>

    > No. Nay. Never.
    >
    > Never repeat never disable System Restore on an infected computer
    > until *after* the infection has been cleaned up. Restoring back to an
    > infected state is still preferable to having a computer left unusable
    > because of a botched cleanup.
    >
    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Ninip

    Erase your stuff off.. come to some arrangement with Staples/HP, but don't
    rely on them clearing the drive.. if it is as broken as others are
    suggesting, it will be impossible to get anything meaningful from it unless
    taken to a professional and very expensive recovery service..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    >I have backup cd's of my personal files and pics at home.
    > My question is Everything is still on the faulty computer which I cannot
    > delete because I cannot get into windows.
    > so when I give them back their faulty computer for an exchange, they will
    > also have all my personal info.
    > What do people do in a case like this?
    > Thanks
    >
    > "Peter A. Stavrakoglou" <ntotrr@optonline.net> wrote in message
    >> "Ninip" <gwen6039@home.com> wrote in message
    >> > Also if they exchange my computer, what about all my documents and
    > photos
    >>
    >> I would settle for nothing short of a replacement at this stage. Staples
    >> can easily do it and just send the defective one back to HP, no skin of
    >> their back. The tech said he could start it up last time you brought it
    > in.
    >> Have him/her start it up again and then copy your data to a CD-Rs. Make
    > the
    >> sure the CD-Rs are readable before accepting them.

    "Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote:

    >Ron
    >
    >In more than a few cases, System Restore is paralysed anyway.. I don't even
    >have it enabled on mine..

    The general consensus amongst those who specialize in virus and
    spyware cleanups is that System Restore should not be intentionally
    disabled until after the malware has been cleaned up.

    See. for example, MVP Bert Kinney's System Restore web pages:
    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/spyware.html

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP