Extending wireless range??

Do you all see any problems in the following scenario. I would like to
extend my wireless network across the street so my neighbor can share
my Internet connection. We live in a rural area where DSL and cable
are non-existent and satellite will not work due to latency issues
(VPN). So here is my current setup and plan. I have an ISDN line that
dials into my ISP on demand; I have a block of static IP's for
internal use. I can currently connect wirelessly to the Internet from
my home. I have a Linksys WAP11 (bridged) connected to a Cisco 804
router. My wife and I use static IP's assigned to our wireless cards
to connect. Everything works great and there is no problem with
coverage at all. My plan is to connect another WAP11 in bridged mode
to the 804 via Ethernet and use a directional antenna like the one
from Hyperlink http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/re09p.php to send the
signal across the street. I am not sure of the distance, but I know it
is close enough that with the WAP11(with stock antenna)on my front
porch I could get a weak signal(my laptop)from the front porch across
the street. Form there I was planning on installing another
WAP11(bridged) to pick up the
directional signal and pass it on to a BEFW11S4 via Ethernet. I could
then assign one of my static IP's to the Linksys router and his laptop
could pick up a private IP (NAT) from the router and connect to the
Internet. What do you all think? Thoughts and suggestions would be
appreciated.

My Laptop

Cisco 804----WAP11-----Wife's Laptop

|( Ethernet connection)

WAP11 (In window in garage)

| (In neighbors window)
Directional Antenna --------------WAP11------------BEFW11S4----Neighbors
Laptop
(Pointed at neighbors house)
5 answers Last reply
More about extending wireless range

    "Lonnie" <lonniempaschall@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Do you all see any problems in the following scenario. I would like to
    > extend my wireless network across the street so my neighbor can share
    > my Internet connection. We live in a rural area where DSL and cable
    > are non-existent and satellite will not work due to latency issues
    > (VPN). So here is my current setup and plan. I have an ISDN line that
    > dials into my ISP on demand; I have a block of static IP's for
    > internal use. I can currently connect wirelessly to the Internet from
    > my home. I have a Linksys WAP11 (bridged) connected to a Cisco 804
    > router. My wife and I use static IP's assigned to our wireless cards
    > to connect. Everything works great and there is no problem with
    > coverage at all. My plan is to connect another WAP11 in bridged mode
    > to the 804 via Ethernet and use a directional antenna like the one
    > from Hyperlink http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/re09p.php to send the
    > signal across the street. I am not sure of the distance, but I know it
    > is close enough that with the WAP11(with stock antenna)on my front
    > porch I could get a weak signal(my laptop)from the front porch across
    > the street. Form there I was planning on installing another
    > WAP11(bridged) to pick up the
    > directional signal and pass it on to a BEFW11S4 via Ethernet. I could
    > then assign one of my static IP's to the Linksys router and his laptop
    > could pick up a private IP (NAT) from the router and connect to the
    > Internet. What do you all think? Thoughts and suggestions would be
    > appreciated.
    >

    > My Laptop
    > |
    > Cisco 804----WAP11-----Wife's Laptop
    > |

    > |( Ethernet connection)
    > |
    > WAP11 (In window in garage)
    > |
    > | (In neighbors window)
    > Directional
    Antenna --------------WAP11------------BEFW11S4----Neighbors
    > Laptop
    > (Pointed at neighbors house)

    This sounds a bit like what I was thinking of doing although I was hoping
    for perhaps Kilometres between the users ...

    I am a bit puzzled by the 2 WAP11s ... does not 1 cover the house from the
    front porch? Perhaps it would be better higher ?

    If one puts a higher gain aerial on this device (non-directional) will this
    cover the existing house and the one across the street?

    I am also puzzled by your diagram.... is the top WAP11 acting as a WAP (you
    mention it being "bridged").

    I think the WAP11s on either side of the road must act as bridges..

    What does the &#61664 represent ... ?

    Is your neighbours BEFW11S4 not connected to the net or anything?

    If not it looks to me like you have a lot more kit than strictly necessary,
    and the chances of problems must increase ...

    One wonders whether a simple repeater (like the D-Link 900AP+) on his side
    of the road would suffice .... along with your original WAP11...

    John

    Lonnie schreef:
    > (VPN). So here is my current setup and plan. I have an ISDN line that
    > dials into my ISP on demand; I have a block of static IP's for
    Do you think you can share more than 2 PC's on one ISDN-line? who pick's
    up the phone tab? I believe 1x64kb is just enough for 1 internet
    connection.

    "Jaap" <Jaap@nospam.nl> wrote in message
    > Lonnie schreef:
    > > (VPN). So here is my current setup and plan. I have an ISDN line that
    > > dials into my ISP on demand; I have a block of static IP's for
    > Do you think you can share more than 2 PC's on one ISDN-line? who pick's
    > up the phone tab? I believe 1x64kb is just enough for 1 internet
    > connection.

    my brother (who cant get anything except ISDN2) has 4 laptops and fixed PC
    sharing an ISDN line.

    the router is set to dial on demand for the 1st chnnel, and bring the 2nd up
    after 30 sec of 20% load - in practice this means both channels run whenever
    there is more than a quick web page.

    the 2 kids complain about some of their interactive shoot-em-up games
    failing intermittantly - mainly when they are both online.

    but the failures are mainly down to the ISP changing the ISDN numbers to
    keep the dial costs down as they shop around for phone traffic (or when they
    exceed 320 hours a month....)

    i had a look at my cable traffic with a sniffer - although i see lots of
    high bandwidth long transfers, they are mainly usenet or large file
    transfer. Typical mail, browsing and music playout would fit within 128k
    most of the time (95% or more), but with some slowdown as the limit cut down
    on traffic peaks - and there are plenty of gaps in the transfers, so
    multiple users would see some slowdown. this isnt because of cable limits
    either - large transfer get around 75 Kbytes / sec - reasonable for 600k
    cable with a notional 20:1 contention.

    I guess a lot depends on what you think of as typical use - if you act as a
    peer to peer distribution point or pull entire DVDs then you need broadband
    bandwidth for those transfers - which isnt going to work with ISDN (also the
    dial time limits would get to you).

    FWIW 6 years ago i was part of a 50 user data network company on a 64k
    kilostream internet link - slow, but it does focus the mind on avoiding web
    sites with lots of bit map crud - when we moved to 2m is was fantastic for
    around 6 months....

    --
    Regards

    "John Beeston" <john.Beeston@talk21.com> wrote in message news:<Nhovc.10135$NK4.1375423@stones.force9.net>...
    > "Lonnie" <lonniempaschall@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Do you all see any problems in the following scenario. I would like to
    > > extend my wireless network across the street so my neighbor can share
    > > my Internet connection. We live in a rural area where DSL and cable
    > > are non-existent and satellite will not work due to latency issues
    > > (VPN). So here is my current setup and plan. I have an ISDN line that
    > > dials into my ISP on demand; I have a block of static IP's for
    > > internal use. I can currently connect wirelessly to the Internet from
    > > my home. I have a Linksys WAP11 (bridged) connected to a Cisco 804
    > > router. My wife and I use static IP's assigned to our wireless cards
    > > to connect. Everything works great and there is no problem with
    > > coverage at all. My plan is to connect another WAP11 in bridged mode
    > > to the 804 via Ethernet and use a directional antenna like the one
    > > from Hyperlink http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/re09p.php to send the
    > > signal across the street. I am not sure of the distance, but I know it
    > > is close enough that with the WAP11(with stock antenna)on my front
    > > porch I could get a weak signal(my laptop)from the front porch across
    > > the street. Form there I was planning on installing another
    > > WAP11(bridged) to pick up the
    > > directional signal and pass it on to a BEFW11S4 via Ethernet. I could
    > > then assign one of my static IP's to the Linksys router and his laptop
    > > could pick up a private IP (NAT) from the router and connect to the
    > > Internet. What do you all think? Thoughts and suggestions would be
    > > appreciated.
    > >

    > > My Laptop
    > > |
    > > Cisco 804----WAP11-----Wife's Laptop
    > > |

    > > |( Ethernet connection)
    > > |
    > > WAP11 (In window in garage)
    > > |
    > > | (In neighbors window)
    > > Directional
    > Antenna --------------WAP11------------BEFW11S4----Neighbors
    > > Laptop
    > > (Pointed at neighbors house)
    >

    > This sounds a bit like what I was thinking of doing although I was hoping
    > for perhaps Kilometres between the users ...
    >
    > I am a bit puzzled by the 2 WAP11s ... does not 1 cover the house from the
    > front porch? Perhaps it would be better higher ?
    >
    > If one puts a higher gain aerial on this device (non-directional) will this
    > cover the existing house and the one across the street?

    John thanks for your input. The one WAP11 on my front porch is not
    strong enough to allow a laptop to get a signal inside the other
    house. I expect to get a dir antenna in the mail today and will see if
    I can focus the signal so that He is able to receive it inside his
    house or near a window at least.

    > I am also puzzled by your diagram.... is the top WAP11 acting as a WAP (you
    > mention it being "bridged").

    Yes the would both be bridged meaning they would just accept the
    wireless signal and pass it on through the ethernet connection.

    > I think the WAP11s on either side of the road must act as bridges..
    >
    > What does the &#61664 represent ... ?

    Type from copying and pasting from Word. :--)

    > Is your neighbours BEFW11S4 not connected to the net or anything?

    Nope, thats why I want to give him access to my ISDN. But if I asssign
    one of my static (valid) IP's to his WAN interface he could then use
    the NAT feature of the Router.

    > > If one puts a higher gain aerial on this device (non-directional) will
    this
    > > cover the existing house and the one across the street?
    >
    > John thanks for your input. The one WAP11 on my front porch is not
    > strong enough to allow a laptop to get a signal inside the other
    > house. I expect to get a dir antenna in the mail today and will see if
    > I can focus the signal so that He is able to receive it inside his
    > house or near a window at least.

    I would be interested to hear what effect your antenna has ..

    Presumably this will be on your Front Porch WAP?

    One wonders whether a non-directional antenna would make it across the road,
    and whether it would also cover the rest of your house ...

    I have just started experimenting with this stuff, and have a 3Com WAP
    located on a windowsill upstairs.

    A quick test yesterday showed I could pick up the network on a Mac notebook
    in the car some 150 meters away through a couple of thick hedges, using just
    the inbuilt antennae.. (on both the 3com and the Mac).

    Mind you, a D-Link 900 in a similar situation seems to have difficulty
    covering 20 meters ...

    Further experimentation is obviously needed..

    I did see a worrying post elsewhere, about a D-Link 900 being apparently
    unable to repeat when located 30 Meters from a D-Link 614 WAP..

    John

Wireless Internet Service Providers Wireless Networking