automatic updates

i cannot seem to activate automatic updates on my machine
i have installed all latest updates and security packs and every time i turn
on my machine it says i am not protected as i dont have auto updates set i
follow the instructions and it wont work(it wont allow me to highlight any
options)

can anyone help ??

bobby milk
1 answer Last reply
More about automatic updates

    "bobby milk" <bobbymilk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >i cannot seem to activate automatic updates on my machine
    > i have installed all latest updates and security packs and every time i
    > turn
    > on my machine it says i am not protected as i dont have auto updates set i
    > follow the instructions and it wont work(it wont allow me to highlight any
    > options)

    Is the options greyed out? If so, perform these actions.

    Navigate to this location in the registry,

    HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU

    You can safely delete everything in the right-hand pane. But if you are
    unsure (make a back-up), export the reg entries. Right-click on AU and
    select export. If you need to restore the keys, simply double-click the
    exported files.

    --
    William

Support Microsoft Windows XP