Would like input on configuring Dimension 8400

Right now, I have a Dimension 4100, 733Mhz, running Windows 98. I've been
getting too many blue screens when I try to multi-task - time to upgrade!!
My computer is used for the typical web surfing/e-mail as well as some
gaming, word processing and photo editing.

I'm looking at the Dimension 8400 with Windows Media Center (w/TV tuner),
1GB RAM, 250GB Hard Drive. I'm undecided on the video card and the monitor.
I'd like opinions on whether the ATI X300 128MB is sufficient for viewing TV
through Media Center or is it better to upgrade to the GeForce 6800 256MB
card? Also, the 8400 currently has the free flat panel offer, either the
19" analog or 17" ultrasharp digital. Opinions on the monitor?? (At this
point, I'm leaning towards the 17" ultrasharp.) Thanks in advance for any
opinions provided.
9 answers Last reply
More about would input configuring dimension 8400

    "DG" <beri19@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Right now, I have a Dimension 4100, 733Mhz, running Windows 98. I've been
    > getting too many blue screens when I try to multi-task - time to upgrade!!
    > My computer is used for the typical web surfing/e-mail as well as some
    > gaming, word processing and photo editing.
    >
    > I'm looking at the Dimension 8400 with Windows Media Center (w/TV tuner),
    > 1GB RAM, 250GB Hard Drive. I'm undecided on the video card and the
    > monitor.
    > I'd like opinions on whether the ATI X300 128MB is sufficient for viewing
    > TV
    > through Media Center or is it better to upgrade to the GeForce 6800 256MB
    > card? Also, the 8400 currently has the free flat panel offer, either the
    > 19" analog or 17" ultrasharp digital. Opinions on the monitor?? (At this
    > point, I'm leaning towards the 17" ultrasharp.) Thanks in advance for any
    > opinions provided.

    TV viewing will not stretch the X300 at all, in fact it is overkill itself.
    128MB is of value really only for gaming.

    As for the monitor, it's a tough call. I have the E193FP 'value' 19" LCD
    and am very happy with it. I have not, however, watched TV on it and I
    don't know if it smears. Compare the specs, as if they timings are not that
    far apart, I do like the 19"

    Tom

    > TV viewing will not stretch the X300 at all, in fact it is overkill
    itself.
    > 128MB is of value really only for gaming.
    >
    > As for the monitor, it's a tough call. I have the E193FP 'value' 19" LCD
    > and am very happy with it. I have not, however, watched TV on it and I
    > don't know if it smears. Compare the specs, as if they timings are not
    that
    > far apart, I do like the 19"
    >
    > Tom

    The 17" has 13ms response time, the 19" has a 16ms. I think I'm leaning
    toward the 17" because of the DVI connection - assuming I'll get a crisper
    picture. I've read that the flat panels tend to blur letters to some degree
    and I was hoping that the ultrasharp would be a little closer to a CRT
    quality. What do you think of your monitor in terms of looking at a word
    processing document, or an e-mail? Do you feel the letters are crisp and
    clear or is there room for improvement?? Did I read that there are controls
    for this within Windows?? If yes, do you have yours set for a better text
    quality and are you satisfied with it??

    "DG" <beri19@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    | Right now, I have a Dimension 4100, 733Mhz, running Windows 98. I've been
    | getting too many blue screens when I try to multi-task - time to upgrade!!
    | My computer is used for the typical web surfing/e-mail as well as some
    | gaming, word processing and photo editing.
    |
    | I'm looking at the Dimension 8400 with Windows Media Center (w/TV tuner),
    | 1GB RAM, 250GB Hard Drive. I'm undecided on the video card and the
    monitor.
    | I'd like opinions on whether the ATI X300 128MB is sufficient for viewing
    TV
    | through Media Center or is it better to upgrade to the GeForce 6800 256MB
    | card? Also, the 8400 currently has the free flat panel offer, either the
    | 19" analog or 17" ultrasharp digital. Opinions on the monitor?? (At this
    | point, I'm leaning towards the 17" ultrasharp.) Thanks in advance for any
    | opinions provided.

    I have the 8400 with Media Center. Excellent machine. (specs below)

    The X300SE is wonderful for TV DVD video etc. I have it hooked to a 1900FP
    Ultrasharp that I got with my previous Dimension 8200. It's very clear.

    Dimension 8400 MCE
    Pentium® 4 Processor 540 with HT Technology (3.20GHz, 800 FSB),
    Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center 2005 Edition
    Memory 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 400MHz (2x512M)
    Video Card 128MB PCI ExpressT x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI RadeonT X300 SE
    Hard Drive 160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/ Native Command Queuing
    Operating System Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center 2005 Edition
    Network Interface Integrated Gigabit Ethernet
    Modem 56K PCI Data/Fax Modem
    CD ROM/DVD ROM Dual Drives: 16x DVD, 16x DVD+/-RW w/dbl layer write
    Sound Blaster® Live! 24-bit ADVANCED HDT Audio
    Speakers Dell 5650 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System with Subwoofer
    Media Center Enhancements Dual TV Tuner with Remote Control

    --
    Doug

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.

    "HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhistshoes@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have the 8400 with Media Center. Excellent machine. (specs below)
    >
    > The X300SE is wonderful for TV DVD video etc. I have it hooked to a 1900FP
    > Ultrasharp that I got with my previous Dimension 8200. It's very clear.
    >
    > Dimension 8400 MCE
    > Pentium® 4 Processor 540 with HT Technology (3.20GHz, 800 FSB),
    > Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center 2005 Edition
    > Memory 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 400MHz (2x512M)
    > Video Card 128MB PCI ExpressT x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI RadeonT X300 SE
    > Hard Drive 160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/ Native Command Queuing
    > Operating System Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center 2005 Edition
    > Network Interface Integrated Gigabit Ethernet
    > Modem 56K PCI Data/Fax Modem
    > CD ROM/DVD ROM Dual Drives: 16x DVD, 16x DVD+/-RW w/dbl layer write
    > Sound Blaster® Live! 24-bit ADVANCED HDT Audio
    > Speakers Dell 5650 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System with Subwoofer
    > Media Center Enhancements Dual TV Tuner with Remote Control
    > --
    > Doug

    What is your TV signal source? (cable, satellite, etc.) And I'm new at
    this so forgive what is probably a dumb question - if you have a dual tuner
    do you have to connect a TV signal source to each tuner?

    I just got Dimension 8400 with Dell 1704FPT (Digital) monitor and NVIDIA
    GeForce 6800 video card. Viewing movies and TV on it is wery plesant.

    Arvid

    "DG" <beri19@yahoo.com> skrev i melding
    > Right now, I have a Dimension 4100, 733Mhz, running Windows 98. I've been
    > getting too many blue screens when I try to multi-task - time to upgrade!!
    > My computer is used for the typical web surfing/e-mail as well as some
    > gaming, word processing and photo editing.
    >
    > I'm looking at the Dimension 8400 with Windows Media Center (w/TV tuner),
    > 1GB RAM, 250GB Hard Drive. I'm undecided on the video card and the
    > monitor.
    > I'd like opinions on whether the ATI X300 128MB is sufficient for viewing
    > TV
    > through Media Center or is it better to upgrade to the GeForce 6800 256MB
    > card? Also, the 8400 currently has the free flat panel offer, either the
    > 19" analog or 17" ultrasharp digital. Opinions on the monitor?? (At this
    > point, I'm leaning towards the 17" ultrasharp.) Thanks in advance for any
    > opinions provided.

    Does anyone ever burn your recorded TV shows? If yes, does the 8400 come
    with enough standard software already loaded that allows DVD's to be burned
    of recorded programs in a format that a stand alone DVD player would
    recognize, or did you have to get other software? I've been investigating
    this a little bit and I saw that the format that Media Center records in
    could not be played on a stand alone DVD without converting it. I believe
    someone said Sonic Encoder would work and I see that Sonic software is
    included with the 8400 but it doesn't actually say if "Encoder" is included.

    >> "DG" <beri19@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> > Right now, I have a Dimension 4100, 733Mhz, running Windows 98. I've
    > been
    >> > getting too many blue screens when I try to multi-task - time to
    > upgrade!!
    >> > My computer is used for the typical web surfing/e-mail as well as some
    >> > gaming, word processing and photo editing.
    >> >
    >> > I'm looking at the Dimension 8400 with Windows Media Center (w/TV
    > tuner),
    >> > 1GB RAM, 250GB Hard Drive. I'm undecided on the video card and the
    >> > monitor.
    >> > I'd like opinions on whether the ATI X300 128MB is sufficient for
    > viewing
    >> > TV
    >> > through Media Center or is it better to upgrade to the GeForce 6800
    > 256MB
    >> > card? Also, the 8400 currently has the free flat panel offer, either
    > the
    >> > 19" analog or 17" ultrasharp digital. Opinions on the monitor?? (At
    >> > this
    >> > point, I'm leaning towards the 17" ultrasharp.) Thanks in advance for
    > any
    >> > opinions provided.

    >> TV viewing will not stretch the X300 at all, in fact it is overkill
    > itself.
    >> 128MB is of value really only for gaming.
    >>
    >> As for the monitor, it's a tough call. I have the E193FP 'value' 19" LCD
    >> and am very happy with it. I have not, however, watched TV on it and I
    >> don't know if it smears. Compare the specs, as if they timings are not
    > that
    >> far apart, I do like the 19"
    >>
    >> Tom
    >>
    > The 17" has 13ms response time, the 19" has a 16ms. I think I'm leaning
    > toward the 17" because of the DVI connection - assuming I'll get a crisper
    > picture. I've read that the flat panels tend to blur letters to some
    > degree
    > and I was hoping that the ultrasharp would be a little closer to a CRT
    > quality. What do you think of your monitor in terms of looking at a word
    > processing document, or an e-mail? Do you feel the letters are crisp and
    > clear or is there room for improvement?? Did I read that there are
    > controls
    > for this within Windows?? If yes, do you have yours set for a better text
    > quality and are you satisfied with it??

    I use mine for my work computer 8 hours a day. Watch video (not tv) on it
    some. Excellent. I also have the Samsung 213T and the difference between
    analog and digital is not truly visible, but Samsungs do a great job with
    analog.

    By the way, one option I STRONGLY recommend is buying it without a monitor
    and buying the Samsung 213T separately. 21" - 1600x1200.

    $588 after rebate. You CANNOT beat this monitor:

    http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10354201&loc=101&hdwt=0&sp=1

    Tom

    | What is your TV signal source? (cable, satellite, etc.) And I'm new at
    | this so forgive what is probably a dumb question - if you have a dual
    tuner
    | do you have to connect a TV signal source to each tuner?

    I'm using cable without a settop decoder so the cable just screws directly
    into the tuner card. This allows for recording one channel while watching
    another or recording two shows at once.

    If you intend to use a settop box with a dual tuner then you will need one
    box for each. (tuner)

    To answer your question in another post the 8400 does come with the required
    encoders (Sonic) to burn shows to DVD directly from Media Center for play in
    a "stand alone" DVD player.

    I had some trouble getting it to work (it would hang at 3% with the DVD +R
    discs I had when I got the 8400, I subsequently tried some TDK DVD -R blanks
    and it worked fine with those, I've no idea why the difference, the +R
    blanks worked fine for other applications) so I also got Nero 6 Ultra. It's
    Nero Vision 3 component handles the recorded files (dvr-ms) and has more
    sophisticated editing and menu creation capabilities then are available from
    the Media Center interface.

    Some good Media Center resources are The Green Button Web site @
    http://www.thegreenbutton.com/default.aspx

    and the Microsoft Public newsgroup;
    microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter

    If you are unfamiliar with the Microsoft groups see;
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];newswhelp
    --

    DG wrote:
    > Right now, I have a Dimension 4100, 733Mhz, running Windows 98. I've been
    > getting too many blue screens when I try to multi-task - time to upgrade!!
    > My computer is used for the typical web surfing/e-mail as well as some
    > gaming, word processing and photo editing.
    >
    > I'm looking at the Dimension 8400 with Windows Media Center (w/TV tuner),
    > 1GB RAM, 250GB Hard Drive. I'm undecided on the video card and the monitor.
    > I'd like opinions on whether the ATI X300 128MB is sufficient for viewing TV
    > through Media Center or is it better to upgrade to the GeForce 6800 256MB
    > card? Also, the 8400 currently has the free flat panel offer, either the
    > 19" analog or 17" ultrasharp digital. Opinions on the monitor?? (At this
    > point, I'm leaning towards the 17" ultrasharp.) Thanks in advance for any
    > opinions provided.

    My advice is to buy the best system that you can afford, I have learned
    the hard way of trying to save a few dollars here a few dollars there.
    In the end with all the upgrading I had to do to get my system to run as
    I wanted cost me more than if I had just spent that bit extra in the
    beginning.

Dell Media Center Dimension Computers