D-link DI-624 router does not automatically release/renew ..

I discovered my D-Link DI-624 router does not automatically release/renew
the DHCP IP address from my ISP (Comcast). I need to manually do this
using buttons provided on the router status screens. Is there a way to
automate this? Do other routers also require a manual process? Thanks.

Hi Steve;
Your router should change IP addresses with your ISP automatically. Check
this link for more info.
http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=1227
HTH;
TomA
"Stevef" <news@stevefarthing.junk> wrote in message
> I discovered my D-Link DI-624 router does not automatically release/renew
> the DHCP IP address from my ISP (Comcast). I need to manually do this
> using buttons provided on the router status screens. Is there a way to
> automate this? Do other routers also require a manual process? Thanks.

The problem is not related to switching from one ISP to another ISP.

The problem is that the lease period for the IP address issued by the ISP's
DHCP server is not utilized by the D-Link router to automatically renew the
IP address prior to lease expiration. As a result, you have to use the
release and renew buttons on the router's status setup screen or else the
router's IP address expires thereby preventing access to the internet

By comparisan, TCP/IP on a PC will track the lease and automatically renew.
That is industry-standard behavior, but the D-Link router does not support
that.

D-Link tech support has already confirmed the router does not fully support
DHCP lease renewal from the ISP. Here is what you are supposed to do
quoting from a tech support email I just received:

Your Case ID is DLK25003940.
Date of Reply: 6/2/2004 8:49:11 AM

Products: UNKNOWN

Operating System:

No, there is no way to renew the DHCP IP address of the router
automatically.

Carry out the following steps to get the WAN IP address.

Power cycle the cable modem and router:

Turn the cable modem off (first)

Turn the router off

Leave them off for 2 minutes**

Turn the cable modem on (first)

Wait until you get a solid cable light on the cable modem

Turn the router on

Wait 30 seconds

-----And don't forget to do that every day or two! Personally, I call that
a product defect.

"Tom A" <jetski2@optonline.net.NOSPAM> wrote in message
> Hi Steve;
> Your router should change IP addresses with your ISP automatically. Check
> this link for more info.
> http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=1227
> HTH;
> TomA
> "Stevef" <news@stevefarthing.junk> wrote in message
> > I discovered my D-Link DI-624 router does not automatically
release/renew
> > the DHCP IP address from my ISP (Comcast). I need to manually do this
> > using buttons provided on the router status screens. Is there a way to
> > automate this? Do other routers also require a manual process? Thanks.

fearless

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2004

"Stevef" <news@stevefarthing.junk> wrote in message
> I discovered my D-Link DI-624 router does not automatically release/renew
> the DHCP IP address from my ISP (Comcast). I need to manually do this
> using buttons provided on the router status screens. Is there a way to
> automate this? Do other routers also require a manual process? Thanks.

What revision (A, B, C) of this router do you have? What firmware version
is installed. All three versions have had DHCP bugs fixed by later firmware
updates. The firmware is revision DEPENDENT. www.dlink.com might help.

TRENDING THREADS