Internet Explorer. Initially no connection

Hi.

I am running WinXP Prof with SP 2.
When i boot my computer and start IE 6, a (Work Offline) dialog box
pop-up with msg- No connection to the Internet is currently available
When i click the 'Try Again' box, the conection is made and
thereafter.

It happen only when i boot the machine and start IE 6 for the first
time.

Thanks in advance.

What kind of an internet connection are you running?

-Jeff
<PlutoGP> wrote in message
> Hi.
>
> I am running WinXP Prof with SP 2.
> When i boot my computer and start IE 6, a (Work Offline) dialog box
> pop-up with msg- No connection to the Internet is currently available
> When i click the 'Try Again' box, the conection is made and
> thereafter.
>
> It happen only when i boot the machine and start IE 6 for the first
> time.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Andrew

"Jeff Cole" <Jeff.Cole@sqlsoft.com> wrote in message
> What kind of an internet connection are you running?
>
> -Jeff
> <PlutoGP> wrote in message
>> Hi.
>>
>> I am running WinXP Prof with SP 2.
>> When i boot my computer and start IE 6, a (Work Offline) dialog box
>> pop-up with msg- No connection to the Internet is currently available
>> When i click the 'Try Again' box, the conection is made and
>> thereafter.
>>
>> It happen only when i boot the machine and start IE 6 for the first
>> time.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.

Are you using a router? My guess is that you network card is detecting the
routers IP address and then connecting to the router. This may take a few
seconds from the point at which XP desktop becomes usable after booting.
You might speed things up a little bit by optimising your boot sequence by
running Bootvis (Google search for it).

Andy

Hi Andrew.

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 21:01:33 +0100, "Andrew"
<andrewportess@nospamhotmail.com> wrote:

>"Jeff Cole" <Jeff.Cole@sqlsoft.com> wrote in message
>> What kind of an internet connection are you running?
>>
>> -Jeff
>> <PlutoGP> wrote in message
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> I am running WinXP Prof with SP 2.
>>> When i boot my computer and start IE 6, a (Work Offline) dialog box
>>> pop-up with msg- No connection to the Internet is currently available
>>> When i click the 'Try Again' box, the conection is made and
>>> thereafter.
>>>
>>> It happen only when i boot the machine and start IE 6 for the first
>>> time.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>

>Are you using a router? My guess is that you network card is detecting the
>routers IP address and then connecting to the router. This may take a few
>seconds from the point at which XP desktop becomes usable after booting.
>You might speed things up a little bit by optimising your boot sequence by
>running Bootvis (Google search for it).
>
>Andy

Hi
On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 21:01:33 +0100, "Andrew"
<andrewportess@nospamhotmail.com> wrote:

>"Jeff Cole" <Jeff.Cole@sqlsoft.com> wrote in message
>> What kind of an internet connection are you running?
>>
>> -Jeff
>> <PlutoGP> wrote in message
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> I am running WinXP Prof with SP 2.
>>> When i boot my computer and start IE 6, a (Work Offline) dialog box
>>> pop-up with msg- No connection to the Internet is currently available
>>> When i click the 'Try Again' box, the conection is made and
>>> thereafter.
>>>
>>> It happen only when i boot the machine and start IE 6 for the first
>>> time.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 21:01:33 +0100, "Andrew"
<andrewportess@nospamhotmail.com> wrote:

>"Jeff Cole" <Jeff.Cole@sqlsoft.com> wrote in message
>> What kind of an internet connection are you running?
>>
>> -Jeff
>> <PlutoGP> wrote in message
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> I am running WinXP Prof with SP 2.
>>> When i boot my computer and start IE 6, a (Work Offline) dialog box
>>> pop-up with msg- No connection to the Internet is currently available
>>> When i click the 'Try Again' box, the conection is made and
>>> thereafter.
>>>
>>> It happen only when i boot the machine and start IE 6 for the first
>>> time.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>

>Are you using a router? My guess is that you network card is detecting the
>routers IP address and then connecting to the router. This may take a few
>seconds from the point at which XP desktop becomes usable after booting.
>You might speed things up a little bit by optimising your boot sequence by
>running Bootvis (Google search for it).
>
>Andy

Hi jeff and andrew.
Let me give additional info. on this problem.
I am using a Cable Internet connection.From the cable modem, it is
connected to a router shared by 2 computers. The problem does not
happen to the other computer. In addition i have other Windows 2ooo
and XP in the computer and the problem did not occur with these OS.

Thanks again.

PlutoGP

PlutoGP Wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I am running WinXP Prof with SP 2.
> When i boot my computer and start IE 6, a (Work Offline) dialog box
> pop-up with msg- No connection to the Internet is currently available
> When i click the 'Try Again' box, the conection is made and
> thereafter.
>
> It happen only when i boot the machine and start IE 6 for the first
> time.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Couple things to try out:

Go to File and make sure Work Offline is unchecked

Make sure you didn't have any of your websites in your Favorites list
set to Make available offline.

Tools -> Internet Options -> General tab -> Click Delete Files and
check the box which asks if you want to delete all offline contents.

Last option would be to change one of the registry setting as
instructed by Microsoft. It's fairly easy so you shouldn't have a
problem. Here is the link:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q180946/
The only concern here is that the article states that explorer starts
in offline mode and REMAINS in offline mode. In your case, the latter
is not true. You can still go ahead and give it a try if you want to.
Good luck.

--
Evolution54

HI.

After deleting all the offline contents, the initial connection
problem was solved.

Thanks to all of you.