Need help removing Direct CD error message

Tags:
  • Computers
  • CD-Rom
  • Error Message
  • Windows XP
August 29, 2005 3:21:23 PM

A neighbor has a relatively new Dell computer. On startup it presents the
following error message "Direct CD will cause Windows to become unstable and
the drivers have been disabled." Then it gives the following web site for
patch. http://www.roxio.com/en/jhtm/xpupdat.jhtml?location=upd... .

The computer never had Roxio's Direct CD installed. It came with Sonic's
Record Now. I can find no trace of Roxio or Direct CD in the msconfig, in
services or in the registry. Hence I can clear the cause of that message.
We have run Spybot, Ad-aware and MS Antispyware several time and find no
trace of spyware. AVG 7 finds no trace of virus problems.

Also, the web site above always redirects us to a Roxio site to purchase the
latest version of Roxio. Which we do not want to do. We can not get to a
patch.

The computer works okay after this error message is closed. But she is
tired of the message.

Any ideas.

More about : removing direct error message

Anonymous
August 30, 2005 2:18:07 AM

Richard, go to Start>Run type: msconfig click Ok and select
Startup Tab. Look there for an entry for Dir CD. If
there Uncheck.

!