Need help removing Direct CD error message

A neighbor has a relatively new Dell computer. On startup it presents the
following error message "Direct CD will cause Windows to become unstable and
the drivers have been disabled." Then it gives the following web site for
patch. http://www.roxio.com/en/jhtm/xpupdat.jhtml?location=update .

The computer never had Roxio's Direct CD installed. It came with Sonic's
Record Now. I can find no trace of Roxio or Direct CD in the msconfig, in
services or in the registry. Hence I can clear the cause of that message.
We have run Spybot, Ad-aware and MS Antispyware several time and find no
trace of spyware. AVG 7 finds no trace of virus problems.

Also, the web site above always redirects us to a Roxio site to purchase the
latest version of Roxio. Which we do not want to do. We can not get to a
patch.

The computer works okay after this error message is closed. But she is
tired of the message.

Any ideas.
1 answer Last reply
More about need removing direct error message

    Richard, go to Start>Run type: msconfig click Ok and select
    Startup Tab. Look there for an entry for Dir CD. If
    there Uncheck.
    "Richard in AZ" <me@mailinator.com> wrote in message
    >A neighbor has a relatively new Dell computer. On startup it presents the
    >following error message "Direct CD will cause Windows to become unstable
    >and the drivers have been disabled." Then it gives the following web site
    >for patch. http://www.roxio.com/en/jhtm/xpupdat.jhtml?location=update .
    >
    > The computer never had Roxio's Direct CD installed. It came with Sonic's
    > Record Now. I can find no trace of Roxio or Direct CD in the msconfig,
    > in services or in the registry. Hence I can clear the cause of that
    > message. We have run Spybot, Ad-aware and MS Antispyware several time and
    > find no trace of spyware. AVG 7 finds no trace of virus problems.
    >
    > Also, the web site above always redirects us to a Roxio site to purchase
    > the latest version of Roxio. Which we do not want to do. We can not get
    > to a patch.
    >
    > The computer works okay after this error message is closed. But she is
    > tired of the message.
    >
    > Any ideas.

Computers CD-Rom Error Message Windows XP