New drive not seen in "My Computer" or "Explore"

Rich

I installed a new 80Gb Samsung drive in my XP Home machine to replace a
failed 40Gb drive. The new drive is found in SETUP during the boot and
appears normal. The new drive shows up under System Hardware Devices and it
shows that the device is working properly.

The problem is that it does not show up in My Computer and does not show up
in Explore.

How do I access this new drive in order to format it and how should it be
assigned a drive letter? There was no software with the drive, and the
instructions say to see your operating system manual for formatting
instructions.

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:uIxGPxMrFHA.4072@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Rich <rjjewett@earthlink.net> had this to say:

> I installed a new 80Gb Samsung drive in my XP Home machine to replace
> a failed 40Gb drive. The new drive is found in SETUP during the boot
> and appears normal. The new drive shows up under System Hardware
> Devices and it shows that the device is working properly.
>
> The problem is that it does not show up in My Computer and does not
> show up in Explore.
>
> How do I access this new drive in order to format it and how should
> it be assigned a drive letter? There was no software with the drive,
> and the instructions say to see your operating system manual for
> formatting instructions.

This would probably be what you're looking for?

How to use Disk Management to configure basic disks in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309000

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

Rich