Engineers Create 1TB Fingernail-Sized Chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

jecht

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
This sounds awesome! By the way, it should be "managed such a feat" instead of "mattered such a feat". Can't rely on spellcheck alone! And it might sound nitpicky, but you really should stop saying "apparently" so much. It makes you sound like you're not sure what you're reporting is true. Other than that I think you've gotten better, Kevin.

illegalnaut

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
sounds great if it ever goes main stream. there are a ton of cool techs that have come out, a big name company buys the rights and then sends it to a shelf so they can keep making more money. good case is the hydrogen engine, thats been around for quite some time and just now seeing the light of day in a car.

thub

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Hmmm, typically reports of new silicon or flash storage technology include some kind of disclaimer that, "this technology is still 10 years away from practical applications," or somesuch. Now that I think about it, it seems to me it's always "10 years away." I wonder if the absence of such a clause was omitted on purpose. Hmmmm...

And since it's a new material: Will it blend?

Also, I love that this photo from the Jerk keeps showing up in Tom's Hardware articles. :)

Greg_77

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
I wonder if this well ever lead to something,or will it be like all those other promising technologies that lead to nothing.

MulaTerca

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2007
What happened to the memristore? It was expected to make a huge impact in the industry, but I've never heard anything again since late 2008.

G

They haven't made a 1tb chip, they made a tiny amount of a nickel doped ceramic and characterised its spin properties. Big deal - another research group talks up a discovery to grab grants. As a researcher this type of unrealistic bs is tiresome, scientists are doing important research in many fields all over the world, but unless you can claim it will solve the world energy crisis, cure cancer and wash whiter at low temps it gets no recognition. I mean, come on, 80mpg 'cause the engine can withstand twice the heat of a standard cast iron block? We have ceramic materials that would do better that right now, they are just way to expensive and, looking at the methods used for synthesising it, so is this stuff.

G

Do they manufacture it at 1nm then? (I mean,50 times more info than current silicon, which is fabricated at between 45 and 55nm theoretically should be around 1nm).

Ceramics do offer a higher combustion temp, getting more out of your fuel, as well as being lighter, and not having to have as large a cooling system throughout the engine design, which shrinks it further, reducing weight even moreso.
The good part about this is the ceramic approach, as temps would no longer be a problem, dispersal would, but immediate units wouldnt need to worry about heat, and could go faster as well as smaller

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
So.... they haven't actually created a thumbnail sized chip.. it's just theoretically possible with this new material and from the wording it seems to imply they haven't actually created anything from it yet... could we plese dispense with the sensationalist headlines? We aren't some bunch of louts looking for a shocking healine before we turn to page 3.

"New material could someday create false nails holding 1TB of storage" might have been an even better headline if you have to go with sensationalist ;)

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
[citation][nom]stuart72[/nom]...... Big deal - another research group talks up a discovery to grab grants. As a researcher this type of unrealistic bs is tiresome......[/citation]

I can pretty much garuantee its not the researchers taling it up, its usually the journalists jumping off the deep end and making wild speculation from a few comments about 'possible uses' of the research... just look at the title of this 'news' item.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Wow, the only thing cooler than this is an Ion Engine being powered by it!

I hope it turns out to be a faster seek time when used for memory. Imagine 8 - 16 of these on 1 stick of RAM... (assuming the pin interface changes to handle it, CPU socket style RAM modules anyone?)

presidenteody

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
this is very interesting ceramics normally do not suit well at high temperatures. They have been talking of polymer ceramic/metals that will replace turbine blades and engines, effectively a plastic engine. popular concept in the 1980s. I thought for sure everyone gave up but, this seems kinda cool. Fingers crossed.

mavroxur

Distinguished
What a misleading article title. It implies that they have created the chip, and the article is about how it's theoretically possible using this new material. Hard to solder "in theory" chips to a PCB, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.