Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Changed From Intel Processor to ATI, Windows wont work now.

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
July 22, 2010 1:56:15 PM

I just ordered some new parts from newegg to upgrade my computer as it was starting to get out of date, I ordered A new mobo, 4gigs of RAM and a AMD CPU, after installing everything and plugging all back in I thought it was going to work fine when I saw windows loading & etc. Soon after, the windows load screen just stops and it fails to load. What could be the issue?

Nothing was DoA, and I made sure all the new parts were compatible, Windows has tried to do something to correct the problem, but even it doesn't know what the issue is.

I didnt touch the hard drive or any other drives either when installing aside from unplugging and re plugging into the new motherboard.

Any ideas?
July 22, 2010 2:52:14 PM

So, you didn't do a fresh install of Windows? Typically, you can get away with changing a CPU (Intel to Intel/ AMD to AMD) without having to reinstall Windows. Since you did a complete change of CPU/Mobo, chances are, you need to. If you don't want to format your old HDD and lose your data, get a new hard drive to install Windows on and use you old HDD as a secondary drive.
m
0
l
July 22, 2010 6:53:39 PM

We tend to run into this here at my job a lot. A guy had a old mobo and it was Intel and blew out. Had a 915 chipset. He bought a P45 chipset mobo and we replaced it.

What you need to do is run a Windows repair. Normally this works best with XP. Haven't tried it with Vista or 7 yet. If the repair fixes the startup, you will then need to install the new drivers.

That might work. If not then a fresh install might be the only option left.
m
0
l
Related resources
July 23, 2010 12:43:26 AM

Whenever you change chipset types you have to reinstall windows. It won't boot because windows can't find the chipset for the driver that is installed to function so it just crashes.

Because you went from Intel to AMD you're looking at a drastic change in chipset design. The driver installed is Intel and the Intel driver has no idea how to access the AMD chipset.

Windows repair won't do anything you need a fresh install from scratch. There's no other way.


grusummer said:
I just ordered some new parts from newegg to upgrade my computer as it was starting to get out of date, I ordered A new mobo, 4gigs of RAM and a AMD CPU, after installing everything and plugging all back in I thought it was going to work fine when I saw windows loading & etc. Soon after, the windows load screen just stops and it fails to load. What could be the issue?

Nothing was DoA, and I made sure all the new parts were compatible, Windows has tried to do something to correct the problem, but even it doesn't know what the issue is.

I didnt touch the hard drive or any other drives either when installing aside from unplugging and re plugging into the new motherboard.

Any ideas?

m
0
l
July 23, 2010 2:39:47 AM

^thats not 100% true. As I said, we had a guy with a age old 915P Intel chipset with really old drivers that had died. He got a P45 chipset mobo, new CPU and 4GB of memory.

We installed the new stuff and yes it crashed when trying to boot. We then ran a Windows repair that completley reinstalls the Windows folder so it clears out the driver folder in C:\Syetem32\drivers but leaves the registry and other installed programs so you don't have to reinstall.

From there, we reinstalled the new chipst and other drivers, did any updates and cleaned the registry and it worked like a charm.

Not only that but it was much faster since he went from a Pentium 4 single core LGA775 to a Pentium DC E5200 dual core.
m
0
l
July 23, 2010 4:31:17 PM

Quote:
It may have worked Jimmy but that's not the correct way to do it.

A professional would have re-installed Windows.



yeah it's always best to reinstall windows with a new mobo.
m
0
l
July 24, 2010 12:58:46 AM

Quote:
It may have worked Jimmy but that's not the correct way to do it.

A professional would have re-installed Windows.


As long as the driver folder is cleared out and you can clear out the registry of any unused entries, it works great for people who don't want to do a fresh install due to their HDDs being filled with tons of data.

Besides, the kind of restore we did was pretty much like a reinstall of Windows.

Now I am not saying I don't do it myself or if the customer takes the option but you always need to offer every option and let them decide since ite THEIR PC and not yours. You can suggest but only suggest.
m
0
l
July 24, 2010 1:54:32 AM

Hacking your way to get something to work only creates potential unknown problems in the future. You don't know how windows works to know if clearing out the driver folder doesn't screw up something else in another folder.

Microsoft loves to cache everything and create pointers for drivers. Espeically storing SN's in hidden areas to prevent piracy.

It's bad practice and shouldn't be done ever on anyones computer.


jimmysmitty said:
As long as the driver folder is cleared out and you can clear out the registry of any unused entries, it works great for people who don't want to do a fresh install due to their HDDs being filled with tons of data.

Besides, the kind of restore we did was pretty much like a reinstall of Windows.

Now I am not saying I don't do it myself or if the customer takes the option but you always need to offer every option and let them decide since ite THEIR PC and not yours. You can suggest but only suggest.

m
0
l
July 24, 2010 4:18:03 AM

^They cache the installed drivers and only will use it IF they see the hardware and can associate it. I know. Sometimes its annoying to try to remove old drivers and Windows automatically installs the old ones.

As I said though, its a method you offer to a client. You can warn them of it. But you cannot decide for them.

I am not arguing for it but offering it to someone who started on the wrong route.

As I said though. The client we did it for has had no problems. But then again he went from an Asus to an Asus and older Intel chipset to newer Intel chipset. So it might have lowered the problems available.
m
0
l
July 31, 2010 12:52:17 AM

Thanks for all the advice guys, I got everything fixed. I had to format my drive and partition it from another machine, and well, everything is working fine now!

Thanks for all the advice!
m
0
l
Related resources
!