Firefox

I just spent a week ridding my Dell 8300 from spyware and assorted
Trojans. Anyone have Firefox? Opinions? Can you run both Firefox AND
IE? How would you set the default? How does the email client work?
Thanks.
Ron
30 answers Last reply
More about firefox

    <qywpmp802@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
    >I just spent a week ridding my Dell 8300 from spyware and assorted
    > Trojans. Anyone have Firefox? Opinions? Can you run both Firefox AND
    > IE? How would you set the default? How does the email client work?
    > Thanks.
    > Ron

    We have both Firefox and IE on all four computers. All are set with IE
    being the default browser. So far so good, no problems. For some sites I
    prefer Firefox and for some IE seems to work better.
    We haven't tried the Mozilla email program. Possibly someone else can give
    you a heads up on it.

    Irene,
    I have both IE and FireFox. You need to keep (as far as I know) to
    access the Windows Update site. I use FireFox for everything else. I
    also use Thunderbird. All my Outlook info imported into Thunderbird
    without any problem. The same is true of importing all your Favorites
    from IE into FireFox's bookmarks. I'm using Thunderbird as my
    newsreader, no problem. Now I must also say that I've never really had a
    problem with IE or Outlook, they're just more under attack by hackers
    and such.
    Paul

    Irene wrote:
    > <qywpmp802@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I just spent a week ridding my Dell 8300 from spyware and assorted
    >>Trojans. Anyone have Firefox? Opinions? Can you run both Firefox AND
    >>IE? How would you set the default? How does the email client work?
    >>Thanks.
    >>Ron
    >>

    > We have both Firefox and IE on all four computers. All are set with IE
    > being the default browser. So far so good, no problems. For some sites I
    > prefer Firefox and for some IE seems to work better.
    > We haven't tried the Mozilla email program. Possibly someone else can give
    > you a heads up on it.

    <qywpmp802@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
    >I just spent a week ridding my Dell 8300 from spyware and assorted
    > Trojans. Anyone have Firefox? Opinions? Can you run both Firefox AND
    > IE? How would you set the default? How does the email client work?
    > Thanks.
    > Ron

    http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq

    Remove shoes to E-mail.

    qywpmp802@sneakemail.com wrote in news:1119822776.577915.305610
    @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > I just spent a week ridding my Dell 8300 from spyware and assorted
    > Trojans. Anyone have Firefox? Opinions? Can you run both Firefox AND
    > IE? How would you set the default? How does the email client work?
    > Thanks.
    > Ron

    They can certainly be run at the same time. In fact, there is an extension
    (IE View) that I like very much that can be used to launch IE and take it to
    the page you are currently on in Firefox - some sites are just poorly
    designed so that they function well only when viewed from IE. I use Pegasus
    for email, so have no idea about it's email client usage.

    --
    Tom McCune
    http://www.McCune.cc

    > I just spent a week ridding my Dell 8300 from spyware and assorted
    > Trojans. Anyone have Firefox? Opinions? Can you run both Firefox AND
    > IE? How would you set the default? How does the email client work?

    Firefox is pretty good, although for general browsing I still use an
    older Opera 7.x as my default (wasn`t keen on the update to 8.x)

    As far as having several browsers, it doesn`t cause a problem, but for
    the majority of sites i`d suggest using something other than IE, and only
    if the site refuses to work as it should, fall back to IE. Then send a
    complaint to the website telling them to right standards compliant code
    ;-)

    Can`t help with the mail side i`m afraid, as I use one called TheBat!
    which is about as secure as you can get.

    Firefox has some nice plugins that make it a little more "opera alike" -
    mouse gestures is a definite one to track down - it makes general
    browsing so much easier - you can right click and nudge the mouse left or
    right to navigate forwards or back through pages you`ve visited, and
    you`ll miss it like crazy if you have to use IE !

    qywpmp802@sneakemail.com wrote:
    > I just spent a week ridding my Dell 8300 from spyware and assorted
    > Trojans. Anyone have Firefox?

    Just a few tens of millions of people.

    > Opinions? Can you run both Firefox AND IE?

    Firefox is alright (I prefer the full suite -- see below); running
    multiple browsers simultaneously is no problem

    > How would you set the default?

    To set a browser as default, it's generally an options (Tools ->
    Internet Options for IE, Tools -> Options for FF, Edit Preferences for
    the Mozilla Suite).

    > How does the email client work?

    Just click on an email addresss and it opens the default client (which
    is set the same way as above, but with mail clients).

    Personally, I prefer the full Mozilla Suite 1.78 (it includes a browser,
    email client, WYSIWYG editor, and IRC client -- similar to Netscape
    Communitcator 4) over FF, definitely over IE. The benefit of Mozilla
    Suite (aka SeaMonkey) over FF & TB or IE & OE is that both the email
    client and the browser use the same instance of the rendering engine
    (Gecko). This uses less RAM, and keeps things consistent. I also
    prefer the look and feel of it.

    Paul Schilter > wrote:
    > Irene,
    > I have both IE and FireFox. You need to keep (as far as I know) to
    > access the Windows Update site. I use FireFox for everything else. I
    > also use Thunderbird. All my Outlook info imported into Thunderbird
    > without any problem. The same is true of importing all your Favorites
    > from IE into FireFox's bookmarks. I'm using Thunderbird as my
    > newsreader, no problem. Now I must also say that I've never really had a
    > problem with IE or Outlook, they're just more under attack by hackers
    > and such.
    > Paul

    I also do use Firefox and Thunderbird

    Firefox, I have no real problems with even though there are some sites
    that do not run well or even at all with Firefox. Windows Update,
    puretracks.com, pcpitstop.com and launch.com to name a few. I have used
    Firefox for awhile. I did not like the original Firefox and used the
    original Mozilla. I still have the original Mozilla on my computer as I
    use it's Composer program to edit my website.

    Thunderbird, I do like and was surprised that it imported all my
    messages from OE. Eudora, Pegasus and any other email program always
    crashed during the import. There is a a couple of problems I have.
    1. I like to have my threads in the newsgroups threaded (All posted
    Thunderbird only does it in one newsgroup after you tell it to, so you
    have to do it for every newsgroup you are in and when you do it, it
    expands all of the messages. The option to collapse the thread is in
    the view option menu)
    2. Sorting of newsgroups. Unless you subscribe to the newsgroup in the
    order you want, (ie alphabetical) you have to go into the Thunderbird
    folder to edit the listing.
    ..

    I only use OE now for checking hotmail

    I use Firefox as my default and IE for updates. Seems to work pretty well
    for most sites. Launch.com is one that does not work. I kept Outlook Express
    for e-mail as I like the way it is set up but will eventually switch over to
    Mozilla's e-mail too. I've had no problems with trojans since I started
    using Firefox. Highly recommended!
    Andy

    <qywpmp802@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
    > I just spent a week ridding my Dell 8300 from spyware and assorted
    > Trojans. Anyone have Firefox? Opinions? Can you run both Firefox AND
    > IE? How would you set the default? How does the email client work?
    > Thanks.
    > Ron

    I use Firefox except when required by the MS Update web site and a few other web
    sites which have bought into Microsoft's perversions of www standards. I like
    the tabbed browsing of Firefox... Ben Myers

    On 26 Jun 2005 14:52:56 -0700, qywpmp802@sneakemail.com wrote:

    >I just spent a week ridding my Dell 8300 from spyware and assorted
    >Trojans. Anyone have Firefox? Opinions? Can you run both Firefox AND
    >IE? How would you set the default? How does the email client work?
    >Thanks.
    > Ron

    YES! The "tab browsing" is really nice. The browser if a bit faster too.
    I have IE still installed but Firefox is set as my default browser. I do
    have the IEview/open extension but haven't needed it yet. I do have one
    problem and I'm sure there's a fix for it but I haven't investigated it yet.
    When I right click on a picture while browsing with Firefox, choose Copy and
    try to paste it into an OE message, it doesn't work. I can right click/Copy
    the same pix with IE and it works. Anyone happen to know what I need to do?
    Monica

    >I use Firefox except when required by the MS Update web site and a few
    >other web
    > sites which have bought into Microsoft's perversions of www standards. I
    > like
    > the tabbed browsing of Firefox... Ben Myers

    <qywpmp802@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
    >I just spent a week ridding my Dell 8300 from spyware and assorted
    > Trojans. Anyone have Firefox? Opinions? Can you run both Firefox AND
    > IE? How would you set the default? How does the email client work?
    > Thanks.
    > Ron

    Mt 2cents to the list. Been using Firefox since they released it and really
    like it. The tab browsing is excellent fro my business as I can have
    multiple tabs open for vendors while I price shop, and you can get
    extensions to do most anything you want. Still need IE for windows updates
    and some sites that work better with IE. As for trojans and all that stuff
    dont get comfortable with FF. Time will come when the hackers will attack it
    like IE. So best thing is be security conscious and develop good habits. FF
    has already had two or three patches to fix security issues. A lot of my
    financial sites are not compatible with FF so I have written them repeatedly
    to become compliant. Just have to wait .

    The biggest problem with FF which has not yet been fixed is that it is a
    memory hog. The memory usage grows the longer it remains open and as you
    surf. You will need to exit and reopen every 3 hours or so to get the most
    of it. And contrary to what you might hear I do not believe it to be any
    faster than IE for surfing. I find them the same.

    For email I still use OE. Thunderbird is very good and behaves like OE but
    it does not handle multiple signatures and profiles as good as OE.

    Bill

    The stand alone follow on to Composer is at http://www.nvu.com/

    "William" wrote:
    > The biggest problem with FF which has not yet been fixed is
    > that it is a memory hog. The memory usage grows the longer
    > it remains open and as you surf. You will need to exit and reopen
    > every 3 hours or so to get the most of it...

    That's called a "memory leak" - buffers get allocated but not
    all are returned to the buffer pool or "heap". Over time, the amount
    of memory available for buffers shrinks. This can be a very hard
    problem to solve if it happens only in rare combinations of usages.
    Contact the Firefox authors and let them know about the problem.

    *TimDaniels*

    "Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in message
    > "William" wrote:
    >> The biggest problem with FF which has not yet been fixed is
    >> that it is a memory hog. The memory usage grows the longer
    >> it remains open and as you surf. You will need to exit and reopen
    >> every 3 hours or so to get the most of it...
    >
    > That's called a "memory leak" - buffers get allocated but not
    > all are returned to the buffer pool or "heap". Over time, the amount
    > of memory available for buffers shrinks. This can be a very hard
    > problem to solve if it happens only in rare combinations of usages.
    > Contact the Firefox authors and let them know about the problem.
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

    Yes thats correct. They already know as many users have reported it.
    Hopefully they will fix it in the next major release.

    Bill

    totalstranger wrote:
    > On or about 6/26/2005 9:32 PM, it came to pass that Dan Sgambelluri wrote:
    >
    >> I did not like the original Firefox and used the original Mozilla. I
    >> still have the original Mozilla on my computer as I use it's Composer
    >> program to edit my website.
    >
    > The stand alone follow on to Composer is at http://www.nvu.com/
    Thanks

    I will give it a try and see if I like it or not

    On 26 Jun 2005 14:52:56 -0700, qywpmp802@sneakemail.com wrote:

    >I just spent a week ridding my Dell 8300 from spyware and assorted
    >Trojans. Anyone have Firefox? Opinions?

    I do and like it. Some sites require IE, or simply look better with
    it, though. Not that you can uninstall IE anyway!

    You need a Firewell, Anti-Virus and Spyware Sniffer with ANY browser.
    A previous version of FF had some security issues.

    >Can you run both Firefox AND
    >IE?

    Yes.

    >How would you set the default? How does the email client work?

    Firefox offers to make itself the default browser when you install it.
    I suggest saying "no" until you check it out. I don't use the email
    client--didnt' know it had one, in fact. You can go on using OE or
    anything else you want.
    --
    Top 10 Conservative Idiots:

    Paul Knudsen <bigkahuna@jupada.com> wrote:

    >On 26 Jun 2005 14:52:56 -0700, qywpmp802@sneakemail.com wrote:
    >
    >>I just spent a week ridding my Dell 8300 from spyware and assorted
    >>Trojans. Anyone have Firefox? Opinions?
    >
    >I do and like it. Some sites require IE, or simply look better with
    >it, though. Not that you can uninstall IE anyway!

    Microsoft's AntiSpyware Tool Removes Internet Explorer

    http://www.bbspot.com/News/2005/01/microsoft_antispyware.html

    "Curious" <Curious@curiosity.net> wrote in message
    | Paul Knudsen <bigkahuna@jupada.com> wrote:
    |
    | >On 26 Jun 2005 14:52:56 -0700, qywpmp802@sneakemail.com wrote:
    | >
    | >>I just spent a week ridding my Dell 8300 from spyware and assorted
    | >>Trojans. Anyone have Firefox? Opinions?
    | >
    | >I do and like it. Some sites require IE, or simply look better with
    | >it, though. Not that you can uninstall IE anyway!
    |
    | Microsoft's AntiSpyware Tool Removes Internet Explorer
    |
    | http://www.bbspot.com/News/2005/01/microsoft_antispyware.html

    For those who might take this seriously, this "story" is a complete
    fabrication.

    Microsoft's AntiSpyware Beta has never been available via WUD.

    It hasn't been "pulled" and is still available still available at
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx .

    Microsoft has *never* advised people to disable automatic updates.

    --
    Doug

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.

    "HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhistshoes@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Curious" <Curious@curiosity.net> wrote in message
    > | Paul Knudsen <bigkahuna@jupada.com> wrote:

    > | >I do and like it. Some sites require IE, or simply look better with
    > | >it, though. Not that you can uninstall IE anyway!
    > |
    > | Microsoft's AntiSpyware Tool Removes Internet Explorer
    > |
    > | http://www.bbspot.com/News/2005/01/microsoft_antispyware.html
    > |

    > For those who might take this seriously, this "story" is a complete
    > fabrication.
    >
    > Microsoft's AntiSpyware Beta has never been available via WUD.
    >
    > It hasn't been "pulled" and is still available still available at
    > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx .
    >
    > Microsoft has *never* advised people to disable automatic updates.
    >

    > --
    > Doug
    >
    > I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    > I was just trying to help.
    > Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or
    > advice herein.
    > No warranty is expressed or implied.
    > Your mileage may vary.
    > See store for details. :)
    >
    > Remove shoes to E-mail.

    Yes indeed. And this thread, along with the "Trojan" thread has probably
    gone on way too long. Much ado about not such a big thing. Mis-information
    abounds..........(even though the poster's link was, to most, an obvious
    parody).

    Stew

    HillBillyBuddhist wrote:
    > Microsoft has *never* advised people to disable automatic updates.

    The opposate is true, with every system that is ever having a problem
    that someone from MS ever has a say about, they say to turn on automatic
    updates.

    And both Windows XP and the Microsoft update site nag ceaselessly to turn on
    automatic updates. Makes me think that Windows is one big zombie program under
    the control of Bill Gates and his minions... Ben Myers

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 08:53:06 -0700, Cyclops <david.hagar@gmail.com> wrote:

    >HillBillyBuddhist wrote:
    >> Microsoft has *never* advised people to disable automatic updates.
    >
    >The opposate is true, with every system that is ever having a problem
    >that someone from MS ever has a say about, they say to turn on automatic
    >updates.

    In a word, yes. Microsoft has improved the quality of its patches and fixes,
    but there are plenty of war stories about automatic updates hosing up a system.
    I've lived through several of those war stories myself while attempting to bring
    client's systems up to speed, only to be forced to roll back updates to get the
    systems right again. Especially noteworthy are the driver "updates" which
    replace new drivers direct from the hardware mfrs web site with older ones.

    If Microsoft's updates are so flawless, why does the update web site advise you
    to back up everything before applying XP SP2.

    Finally, if a system is already mucked up with some spyware, adware, trojan or
    other unruly beast, Microsoft updates, automatic or not, will often mess up the
    system even more.

    Microsoft does not have an image anymore to engender trust. What Micrsoft
    delivers with its updates is not flawless. Go figure... Ben Myers

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 20:34:20 -0700, Cyclops <david.hagar@gmail.com> wrote:

    I found Firefox to be slightly faster than IE. Plus I like the huge
    amount of extensions you can install.

    There are some drawbacks to using Firefox. IMO, the most significant
    is that several websites are not 100% compatible with this new browser.
  26. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Cyclops wrote:
    No matter what type of computer PC (Windows/Linux/whatever) or Mac, it
    is always best to backup your data before any OS Upgrade. No amount of
    testing can prevent all possible problems and every if they tested
    completely, one slight configuration change could screw something up.
  27. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    I do own a Mac. So what? It has nothing to do with Microsoft's haphazard
    approach to patching and fixing the poorly-designed Windows operating system
    with a similarly designed on-line update "system"..

    Read what I wrote again. "... while attempting to bring CLIENT'S systems up to
    speed." These are not MY systems. They belong to other people. I fix them for
    a living. So I get to see just a little more of the warts and zits on Windows
    than the average bear. Some people can't accept reality and they go into
    denial. I have to confront the reality of Windows every day, so I sure can't
    deny it or avoid it. So I find it useful to vent a bit and to inform other
    people that Windows is not the warm and cuddly operating system that Microsoft's
    PR apparatchnicks (word chosen carefully, but possibly misspelled in
    phoneticizing the Russian word) hype it to be... Ben Myers

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 12:37:10 -0700, Cyclops <david.hagar@gmail.com> wrote:

  28. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Paul Knudsen wrote:

    > On 26 Jun 2005 14:52:56 -0700, qywpmp802@sneakemail.com wrote:
    >

    >>I just spent a week ridding my Dell 8300 from spyware and assorted
    >>Trojans. Anyone have Firefox? Opinions?
    >
    > I do and like it. Some sites require IE, or simply look better with
    > it, though. Not that you can uninstall IE anyway!
    >
    > You need a Firewell, Anti-Virus and Spyware Sniffer with ANY browser.
    > A previous version of FF had some security issues.
    >
    >>Can you run both Firefox AND
    >>IE?
    >
    > Yes.
    >
    >>How would you set the default? How does the email client work?
    >
    > Firefox offers to make itself the default browser when you install it.
    > I suggest saying "no" until you check it out. I don't use the email
    > client--didnt' know it had one, in fact. You can go on using OE or
    > anything else you want.

    FF does not include a mail client - the accompanying product is
    Thunderbird, also free from mozilla.org. Mozilla provides a complete
    suite (like Netscape) called "Mozilla", which I am happily running as we
    speak.
  29. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    For those that have the "Adblock" extension, did you notice if it caused a
    slight decrease of speed in FF?
    Monica

    "Sparky Spartacus" <Sparky@universalexports.org> wrote in message
    > Paul Knudsen wrote:
    >
    >> On 26 Jun 2005 14:52:56 -0700, qywpmp802@sneakemail.com wrote:

  30. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Not at all. If anything it's a bit faster as the ads with lots of
    graphics don't display.

    It can take a while to train it to get the really obnoxious, animated
    ones.

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 01:59:50 -0500, "Monica"
    <monicakm@cox-internet.com> wrote:

    >For those that have the "Adblock" extension, did you notice if it caused a
    >slight decrease of speed in FF?
    >Monica
    >
    >"Sparky Spartacus" <Sparky@universalexports.org> wrote in message
    >> Paul Knudsen wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 26 Jun 2005 14:52:56 -0700, qywpmp802@sneakemail.com wrote:

Dell Internet Explorer Firefox Computers