Network signals not detected on one machine (WinXP & Win98..

Ivan

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2003

BlankHi Everyone,

I purchased an SMC Wireless Router (SMC2804BR) with a Linksys 54G PCI
Network Adapter. Installation and configuration of the software (network
drivers) and hardware went well. However, the machine cannot get a signal
from the router for a wireless connection. I initially tried this on
Windows XP. I then tried using Windows 98SE (it's dual boot machine) and
had exactly the same problem -- no signal. I called both Linksys and SMC
tech support and they couldn't help (went through all the config settings of
WinXP, net adapter, and router).

I replaced the Linksys adapter with a INEXQ 54G network adapter and had the
same problem on both WinXP and Win98SE -- no signal.
I then took the INEXQ network adapter and installed it on a different
machine under Windows 98SE. After the software drivers were installed, I
rebooted the machine and it worked the first time, flawlessly! The machine
picked up the network signal from the SMC router AND other signals as well
(must be from the neighbors). I connected to my wireless LAN and connected
to the Internet with no problem.

I re-installed the network adapter into the original machine, and could
never get it to detect the network signals. I tried uninstalling and
re-installing the drivers several times; I moved the adapter to different
PCI slots; I exchanged the video cards between the two machines; and I tried
to disable several BIOS settings; -- and none of these things helped.

Does anyone have an idea as to what could be wrong with getting this machine
to work with a wireless LAN? It is an Abit VA6 motherboard with a Pentium 3
1130 MHz CPU (w/ CPU upgrade kit), and a Geforce4 MX440 Video Card. The
router is in the same room.

I have a feeling that something on the motherboard, or perhaps the CPU,
interferes with the signal (moving the computer / antennae didn't help).

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

- Ivan

sk

i have the exact same problem (but I had it working for the first two
weeks, but hten I lost all signal... made no sense... i hope someone
comes up with ideas... cause I cant stand this

"Ivan" <i_domin@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<97ydndw6cNIviiPdRVn-hA@look.ca>...
> BlankHi Everyone,
>
> I purchased an SMC Wireless Router (SMC2804BR) with a Linksys 54G PCI
> Network Adapter. Installation and configuration of the software (network
> drivers) and hardware went well. However, the machine cannot get a signal
> from the router for a wireless connection. I initially tried this on
> Windows XP. I then tried using Windows 98SE (it's dual boot machine) and
> had exactly the same problem -- no signal. I called both Linksys and SMC
> tech support and they couldn't help (went through all the config settings of
> WinXP, net adapter, and router).
>
> I replaced the Linksys adapter with a INEXQ 54G network adapter and had the
> same problem on both WinXP and Win98SE -- no signal.
> I then took the INEXQ network adapter and installed it on a different
> machine under Windows 98SE. After the software drivers were installed, I
> rebooted the machine and it worked the first time, flawlessly! The machine
> picked up the network signal from the SMC router AND other signals as well
> (must be from the neighbors). I connected to my wireless LAN and connected
> to the Internet with no problem.
>
> I re-installed the network adapter into the original machine, and could
> never get it to detect the network signals. I tried uninstalling and
> re-installing the drivers several times; I moved the adapter to different
> PCI slots; I exchanged the video cards between the two machines; and I tried
> to disable several BIOS settings; -- and none of these things helped.
>
> Does anyone have an idea as to what could be wrong with getting this machine
> to work with a wireless LAN? It is an Abit VA6 motherboard with a Pentium 3
> 1130 MHz CPU (w/ CPU upgrade kit), and a Geforce4 MX440 Video Card. The
> router is in the same room.
>
> I have a feeling that something on the motherboard, or perhaps the CPU,
> interferes with the signal (moving the computer / antennae didn't help).
>
> Any help with this is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Ivan

You said someone else has a wireless access point around you, as you can
see their WLAN. That should indicate that the card works fine and that
it can connect...

You also mentioned that you tried a lot of things on the computer ...
What did you do on your access point? Since there's another WAP around
somewhere, did you try simply changing the channel your WAP uses? Try to
change it to either a high or low channel (1,2 10,11), and see if that
changes anything for you. Consider enabling SSID broadcasts (if you've
disabled it) during troubleshooting, and also tripple-check your
encryption keys, even consider not using encryption while
troubleshooting...

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net

Look to software conflicts, primarily anti virus and firewalls. As I
commented in a previous posting Symantic products are notorious for this
(MacAfee products are not far behind but generally aren't as disruptive).