Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Using Windows Product Key

Last response: in Windows 7
July 22, 2010 2:19:53 PM

Friends!
Good evening! Recently i bought a Dell Inspiron 1012 Netbbok. Windows7 Starter preinstalled and original OS CD also supplied by Dell. One of my friend bought Toshiba NB250 Netbook preinstalled with Windows7 Starter OS but no OS CD supplied. My friend formatted his hard drive and used my OS CD to install windows. Whenever he is online he is receiving a message from Microsoft to activate his windows key. Even though he is submitting his original key which is printed on the backside of his system he is not able to activate. This is one problem. The second one. Now i also want to custom format my system and use my very own windows key. Will there be any problem? Will Microsoft accept my Windows key? I am scared. Very hard earned money. It seems to be that we should not buy any preinstalled OS computer without original OS CD. Am i correct? Please guide me. Thanks in advance. Selvaraj.

More about : windows product key

Best solution

a c 352 $ Windows 7
July 22, 2010 2:54:25 PM

Your friend's computer probably had a recovery partition on the original drive that would be used to re-install Windows. That does nothing for a drive failure of if someone formats the whole drive, thus deleting the restore partition.

The issue with activating Windows could be from the fact that the OEM CD you have is tied to the set of keys that Dell owns and will not work with the one from the Toshiba. I have seen that happen before when I tried a Win7 key from an Lenovo system on another computer model. Your friend will probably need to contact Toshiba to see what he can do.

You should not have any issues using your key and CD combination.
July 22, 2010 3:39:49 PM

hang-the-9 said:
Your friend's computer probably had a recovery partition on the original drive that would be used to re-install Windows. That does nothing for a drive failure of if someone formats the whole drive, thus deleting the restore partition.

The issue with activating Windows could be from the fact that the OEM CD you have is tied to the set of keys that Dell owns and will not work with the one from the Toshiba. I have seen that happen before when I tried a Win7 key from an Lenovo system on another computer model. Your friend will probably need to contact Toshiba to see what he can do.

You should not have any issues using your key and CD combination.

Dear Friend!

Thank you very much for your post containing good news. Certainly we will contact Toshiba and will post the reply.
Any advice on purchasing pre-installed OS computers without original OS CDs?
m
l
Related resources
a c 352 $ Windows 7
July 22, 2010 3:50:41 PM

sevulu said:
Dear Friend!

Thank you very much for your post containing good news. Certainly we will contact Toshiba and will post the reply.
Any advice on purchasing pre-installed OS computers without original OS CDs?

It would be best to get a system that has a separate CD as you can then restore the system in case of a drive crash.

On the drives with built-in restore they key is not to format the whole drive. Many manufacturers now don't provide disks with their systems, and I don't know if they will if asked.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 22, 2010 5:07:01 PM

Hi Sevulu,

hang-the-9 hit it on the head! You both are running OEM versions of Windows 7, so any CD that you have will only work on the computer that the CD came with. This means you will have no problem using the CD on your computer.

As far as buying purchasing a laptop with Windows 7 pre-installed (OEM version), in most cases the computer will not come with an installation CD (you got lucky). However, I believe you are able to purchase a CD from most computer manufactures for $25 - $40 or so.

Cheers,
Cassandra
Microsoft Windows Outreach
m
l
July 22, 2010 5:15:01 PM

Dear Cassandra!

Thank you, i am much relieved. Thanks for your reply.

Selvaraj.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 22, 2010 7:47:56 PM

You're very welcome, Selvaraj.

Cassandra
Microsoft Windows Outreach
m
l
July 26, 2010 2:16:23 PM

Best answer selected by sevulu.