  • Hewlett Packard
  • Windows XP
a b α HP
August 29, 2005 8:51:11 PM

Hi everyone
this might be a bit confusing so i please bare with me.
My home computer is a HP which is running windows xp home edition.I brought
the computer with xp already pre installed. A few months ago i had HUGE
amount of problems and had to re install my computer to factory settings ( i
did this by pressing F10 during start up until the screen appeared).

At work one of the employees is using a dell computer with xp proffessional.
xp was installed at the factory. This employee is having HUGE problems and
asked if he could pre install it back to factory settings like i did at home,
i said i dont think so because DELL and HP are computers are completely
different.

anyway he tried to hit F10 and it only took him to the screen where you can
pick your different set ups (the same as F8)

my question is F10 does not work on all computers does it????????????? the
destructive option or non destructive option is only with HP computers isnt
it????

thanks a bunch in advance
totally appreciated

More about : destruction

August 30, 2005 12:29:36 PM

In news:77C18ED0-DB8D-441F-9FD5-16D538126104@microsoft.com,
*Stuck* <Stuck@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Hi everyone
> this might be a bit confusing so i please bare with me.
> My home computer is a HP which is running windows xp home edition.I
> brought the computer with xp already pre installed. A few months ago
> i had HUGE amount of problems and had to re install my computer to
> factory settings ( i did this by pressing F10 during start up until
> the screen appeared).
>
> At work one of the employees is using a dell computer with xp
> proffessional. xp was installed at the factory. This employee is
> having HUGE problems and asked if he could pre install it back to
> factory settings like i did at home, i said i dont think so because
> DELL and HP are computers are completely different.
>
> anyway he tried to hit F10 and it only took him to the screen where
> you can pick your different set ups (the same as F8)
>
> my question is F10 does not work on all computers does
> it????????????? the destructive option or non destructive option is
> only with HP computers isnt it????
>
> thanks a bunch in advance
> totally appreciated

No, other PC OEMs have similar functions. The F10 key during boot is HPs
method of allowing you to do a destructive or a non-destructive (repair
installation) of the OS. (To make a real CD you can do so with the HP Tools
options on your computer - I think it's called "recovery disk" and should be
in your start menu under the programs section.) Dells are different as they
normally come with repair disks. A repair installation would be done with
this method:

Repair Installation of XP :
http://kgiii.info/windows/XP/general/xprepair.html

Galen