Easy Question (I think) abpout lock up

My computer has begun locking up at random times. The hard lock were Ctrl
Alt Del don't respond. There doesn't seem to be any particular program or
device the lock ups are linked to.
A while ago I was getting some reboots (where it would just suddenly
reboot) and traced it back to some program thanks to the little blue screen
of death.
With these hard locks though I can't seem to find a way to trace it to
anything. I looked at the event viewer but it doesn't seem to register
anything when things reboot. Is there another way I can see what the
computer is doing when it reboots? Any help would greatly be apreciated.
Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about easy question think abpout lock

    well, the error code and error message on the Blue Screen would be most
    helpful.
    You can also stop it from rebooting and enable error reporting so that there
    will be information in the event viewer.
    Right click My Computer>Advance tab>startup & recovery> deselect
    automatically restart. Apply/okay your way out, then click on error
    reporting and enable that.

    "Kevin Ashton" <Kevin Ashton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My computer has begun locking up at random times. The hard lock were
    > Ctrl
    > Alt Del don't respond. There doesn't seem to be any particular program or
    > device the lock ups are linked to.
    > A while ago I was getting some reboots (where it would just suddenly
    > reboot) and traced it back to some program thanks to the little blue
    > screen
    > of death.
    > With these hard locks though I can't seem to find a way to trace it to
    > anything. I looked at the event viewer but it doesn't seem to register
    > anything when things reboot. Is there another way I can see what the
    > computer is doing when it reboots? Any help would greatly be apreciated.
    > Thanks

    I already have turned that on, but it's a hard lock and the blue screen
    doesn't come up. It just freezes. How can I look at what the computer was
    doing right before the lock? (I'm not sure but would the system.log file
    help me? I tried opening it up but it says the file is in use when windows is
    running. Should I boot up in Linux and look at the file?)
    Thanks

    "lvee" wrote:

    > well, the error code and error message on the Blue Screen would be most
    > helpful.
    > You can also stop it from rebooting and enable error reporting so that there
    > will be information in the event viewer.
    > Right click My Computer>Advance tab>startup & recovery> deselect
    > automatically restart. Apply/okay your way out, then click on error
    > reporting and enable that.
    >
    > "Kevin Ashton" <Kevin Ashton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > My computer has begun locking up at random times. The hard lock were
    > > Ctrl
    > > Alt Del don't respond. There doesn't seem to be any particular program or
    > > device the lock ups are linked to.
    > > A while ago I was getting some reboots (where it would just suddenly
    > > reboot) and traced it back to some program thanks to the little blue
    > > screen
    > > of death.
    > > With these hard locks though I can't seem to find a way to trace it to
    > > anything. I looked at the event viewer but it doesn't seem to register
    > > anything when things reboot. Is there another way I can see what the
    > > computer is doing when it reboots? Any help would greatly be apreciated.
    > > Thanks

    Overheating?

    "Kevin Ashton" <Kevin Ashton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My computer has begun locking up at random times. The hard lock were
    > Ctrl
    > Alt Del don't respond. There doesn't seem to be any particular program or
    > device the lock ups are linked to.
    > A while ago I was getting some reboots (where it would just suddenly
    > reboot) and traced it back to some program thanks to the little blue
    > screen
    > of death.
    > With these hard locks though I can't seem to find a way to trace it to
    > anything. I looked at the event viewer but it doesn't seem to register
    > anything when things reboot. Is there another way I can see what the
    > computer is doing when it reboots? Any help would greatly be apreciated.
    > Thanks

Computers Windows XP