Error Message when trying to run System Restore

I receive the following error message when I try to run System Restore on my
Computer - has anyone seen anything like this before that could possibly
point to a solution?

System Restore Application has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Error signature
AppName: rstrui.exe AppVer: 5.1.2600.2180 ModName: srrstr.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180 Offset: 00009826

Note: I have already tried replacing the srrstr.dll and rstrui.exe file
with new copies.
2 answers Last reply
More about error message system restore

    Kerry, rt click MyComputer>select Properties>System Restore>Check Box
    Turn off system restore for all drives.
    Restart and reverse that procedure. Also, check at Kelly's
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm Select S
    and scroll to System Restore.
    "Kerry" <Kerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I receive the following error message when I try to run System Restore on
    >my
    > Computer - has anyone seen anything like this before that could possibly
    > point to a solution?
    >
    > System Restore Application has encountered a problem and needs to close.
    >
    > Error signature
    > AppName: rstrui.exe AppVer: 5.1.2600.2180 ModName: srrstr.dll
    > ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180 Offset: 00009826
    >
    > Note: I have already tried replacing the srrstr.dll and rstrui.exe file
    > with new copies.

    Thanks for your quick response Rich, but I have tried that also. The System
    Restore does not allow me to get that far. Even if I go through My Computer
    Properties and try to click on the System Restore tab I get this error -
    basically I get the error with anything that tries to launch the System
    Restore application.

    "Rich Barry" wrote:

    > Kerry, rt click MyComputer>select Properties>System Restore>Check Box
    > Turn off system restore for all drives.
    > Restart and reverse that procedure. Also, check at Kelly's
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm Select S
    > and scroll to System Restore.
    > "Kerry" <Kerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I receive the following error message when I try to run System Restore on
    > >my
    > > Computer - has anyone seen anything like this before that could possibly
    > > point to a solution?
    > >
    > > System Restore Application has encountered a problem and needs to close.
    > >
    > > Error signature
    > > AppName: rstrui.exe AppVer: 5.1.2600.2180 ModName: srrstr.dll
    > > ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180 Offset: 00009826
    > >
    > > Note: I have already tried replacing the srrstr.dll and rstrui.exe file
    > > with new copies.

Error Message System Restore Windows XP