I used Roxio to burn a CD and it let me rename a folder on the CD to end with
a period. However, WinXP will not access the folder.

Does anyone know if MS has a fix for this problem or if a workaround exists?

A filename may not begin or end with a period. Rename your
file correctly before recording it to a CD.

Windows OS File/Folder naming rules
http://www.portfoliofaq.com/pfaq/FAQ00352.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Garfield13" wrote:

| I used Roxio to burn a CD and it let me rename a folder on the CD to end with
| a period. However, WinXP will not access the folder.
|
| Does anyone know if MS has a fix for this problem or if a workaround exists?

XP Pro SP1, hard drive formatted NTFS.

I tried to name a folder with a leading period and got this message...
---------------------------
Rename
---------------------------
You must type a file name.
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------

I got the same message trying to name a txt file with a leading period.

I tried to use a trailing period for a folder name and the period just got
deleted. I also tried it with multiple trailing periods, they just got
deleted.

File Names in Windows XP Professional
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/reskit/en-us/prkc_fil_rbrx.asp

File Names on FAT Volumes
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkc_fil_cgmd.asp

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:eqFI41VrFHA.2624@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
David Candy <.> hunted and pecked:
> Well here is one that starts with a period. The rules MS list are for
> filenames that will work on any MS OS not rules that apply to only XP. So
> it's the lowest common denominator. I've not seen a list of legal naming
> for XP. Note NTFS is OS neutral - it will accept nearly anything, the
> rules are for what OS can read them (note NT hosts several OSs, OS/2,
> Unix/Posix, Dos (though Dos is a Windows program rather than a
> sunsystem), Win 16 (like Dos is a windows program), and Win 32. A legal
> name is Unix may not be legal in Windows, therefore only Unix programs
> can access.
>
> To remove trailing periods use the format
>
> \\?\c:\whatever
>
> \\?\ tell windows to turn off name checking.

------------------------
>> A filename may not begin or end with a period. Rename your
>> file correctly before recording it to a CD.
>>
>> Windows OS File/Folder naming rules
>> http://www.portfoliofaq.com/pfaq/FAQ00352.htm
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups

------------------

>> "Garfield13" wrote:
>>
>>> I used Roxio to burn a CD and it let me rename a folder on the CD to
>>> end with a period. However, WinXP will not access the folder.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know if MS has a fix for this problem or if a workaround
>>> exists?

But that is only explorer stopping you, not windows. Use a cmd prompt or a File Save As dialog. Trailing needs special syntax of \\?\

"Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message news:Onq$cbYrFHA.3096@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> XP Pro SP1, hard drive formatted NTFS.
>
> I tried to name a folder with a leading period and got this message...
> ---------------------------
> Rename
> ---------------------------
> You must type a file name.
> ---------------------------
> OK
> ---------------------------
>
> I got the same message trying to name a txt file with a leading period.
>
> I tried to use a trailing period for a folder name and the period just got
> deleted. I also tried it with multiple trailing periods, they just got
> deleted.
>
> File Names in Windows XP Professional
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/reskit/en-us/prkc_fil_rbrx.asp
>
> File Names on FAT Volumes
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkc_fil_cgmd.asp
>

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:eqFI41VrFHA.2624@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> David Candy <.> hunted and pecked:
>> Well here is one that starts with a period. The rules MS list are for
>> filenames that will work on any MS OS not rules that apply to only XP. So
>> it's the lowest common denominator. I've not seen a list of legal naming
>> for XP. Note NTFS is OS neutral - it will accept nearly anything, the
>> rules are for what OS can read them (note NT hosts several OSs, OS/2,
>> Unix/Posix, Dos (though Dos is a Windows program rather than a
>> sunsystem), Win 16 (like Dos is a windows program), and Win 32. A legal
>> name is Unix may not be legal in Windows, therefore only Unix programs
>> can access.
>>
>> To remove trailing periods use the format
>>
>> \\?\c:\whatever
>>
>> \\?\ tell windows to turn off name checking.
>>
>> --
> ------------------------
>> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
>> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
>>> A filename may not begin or end with a period. Rename your
>>> file correctly before recording it to a CD.
>>>
>>> Windows OS File/Folder naming rules
>>> http://www.portfoliofaq.com/pfaq/FAQ00352.htm
>>>
>>> --
>>> Carey Frisch
>>> Microsoft MVP
>>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>>> Microsoft Newsgroups

> ------------------

Aha!

Save As will save a txt file with leading period.

This also works, if cd to that folder.

ren New.txt .New.txt

Move works for renaming folder with a leading period.

C:\>move "%homepath%\Desktop\New Folder" "%homepath%\Desktop\.Folder"
1 file(s) moved.

I can see no practical use for naming files or folders with a leading or
trailing period.

XP has no problem with using a period in the middle of a file name, i.e.
Autoexec.nt and Config.nt .txt or a folder named Autoexec.nt and Config.nt.
I see this as a practical use.

Now I think I'll find something productive to do.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:ur6WYhYrFHA.464@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
David Candy <.> hunted and pecked:
> But that is only explorer stopping you, not windows. Use a cmd prompt or
> a File Save As dialog. Trailing needs special syntax of \\?\

------------------------
>> XP Pro SP1, hard drive formatted NTFS.
>>
>> I tried to name a folder with a leading period and got this message...
>> ---------------------------
>> Rename
>> ---------------------------
>> You must type a file name.
>> ---------------------------
>> OK
>> ---------------------------
>>
>> I got the same message trying to name a txt file with a leading period.
>>
>> I tried to use a trailing period for a folder name and the period just
>> got deleted. I also tried it with multiple trailing periods, they just
>> got deleted.
>>
>> File Names in Windows XP Professional

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/reskit/en-us/prkc_fil_rbrx.asp

>> File Names on FAT Volumes

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkc_f
il_cgmd.asp

>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:eqFI41VrFHA.2624@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
>> David Candy <.> hunted and pecked:
>>> Well here is one that starts with a period. The rules MS list are for
>>> filenames that will work on any MS OS not rules that apply to only XP.
>>> So it's the lowest common denominator. I've not seen a list of legal
>>> naming for XP. Note NTFS is OS neutral - it will accept nearly
>>> anything, the rules are for what OS can read them (note NT hosts
>>> several OSs, OS/2, Unix/Posix, Dos (though Dos is a Windows program
>>> rather than a sunsystem), Win 16 (like Dos is a windows program), and
>>> Win 32. A legal name is Unix may not be legal in Windows, therefore
>>> only Unix programs can access.
>>>
>>> To remove trailing periods use the format
>>>
>>> \\?\c:\whatever
>>>
>>> \\?\ tell windows to turn off name checking.
>>>
>>> --
>> ------------------------
>>> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
>>> =================================================
>>> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message

>> ------------------

I really appreciate everyone's comments on my original question but I think
the point got lost. I have a CD with a folder on it that ends with a period.
How do I get to the data in that directory via Windows XP? My Win98 PC
reads it just fine.

Try something like this

copy "\\?\e:\mycdfile." "%userprofile%\desktop\mycdfilewithouttrailingdot"

or

copy "\\?\e:\mycdfile." \\?\c:\mycdfilewithouttrailingdot

we are renaming it as well so explorer will touch it after you copy it.

"Garfield13" <Garfield13@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:82C0B39B-F370-46D8-80AB-79755F1559AC@microsoft.com...
>I really appreciate everyone's comments on my original question but I think
> the point got lost. I have a CD with a folder on it that ends with a period.
> How do I get to the data in that directory via Windows XP? My Win98 PC
> reads it just fine.

I have tried may different itterations of your suggestino and I cannot get
any of the files contained within the folder.

"David Candy" wrote:

> Try something like this
>
> copy "\\?\e:\mycdfile." "%userprofile%\desktop\mycdfilewithouttrailingdot"
>
> or
>
> copy "\\?\e:\mycdfile." \\?\c:\mycdfilewithouttrailingdot
>
> we are renaming it as well so explorer will touch it after you copy it.

> "Garfield13" <Garfield13@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:82C0B39B-F370-46D8-80AB-79755F1559AC@microsoft.com...
> >I really appreciate everyone's comments on my original question but I think
> > the point got lost. I have a CD with a folder on it that ends with a period.
> > How do I get to the data in that directory via Windows XP? My Win98 PC
> > reads it just fine.

TRENDING THREADS