Yahoo Kills GeoCities Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathblooms2k1

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]JasonAkkerman[/nom]www.xkcd.com did a tribute to GeoCities on their main page today.[/citation]

Oh man, got a kick out of that. xkcd is great.

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Geocities was my very first homepage back in like 1996-97. It was kinda like social networking. Sad to see it go. I wonder if my old page is still up. I haven't checked it about 10 years.

G

Good bye useless results in google :p

now just need to get rid of the fake search page result lol

like one of those

http://www.filehipp.com/ (instead of www.filehippo.com)

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Used mine to post meaningless stories about absolutely nothing, whatever was on my mind that day. I guess you could say I used to blog, facebook, or tweet before those terms became popular. Of course, I had the mandatory overly-busy repeating backgrounds, poorly-written javascript, and after a few months, all the other webpages I linked to went down (so many other free hosts fell by the wayside).

I also uploaded my latest C++ projects as I completed them in high-school. I don't think anyone ever saw my site, I set my own counter to 1-million hits, and I think it had 1-million and 10 before I stopped updating it a year later.

G

Wow, geocities (gee-yaw-sitties)

SilliconValley/5222 .. was it case sensitive then?

i experimenteed with page design early on, i got pretty into it (then i never really learned css layout till recently. i hate web design now)

my clean quake3d configuration with menu system for types of game and basically just facilitated f***ing people up. no go to rocketjump alias i dont htink, i was snobby like that, haha.

info on kali. ipxspx over tcpip emulator. warcraft2. was great.
blizzard scratched a winning lotto ticket sorta.

my xdhtmlblehhh will never be good.
i used frames. shamelessly. at least i made the borders invisible and
the backgrounds didnt slide against each other.
my jpegs were awful. i had no concept of how fucked my hig res texturized whatever was going to get demolished when saved to size.
i used and too much.

funny how a space limit makes you produce so much mor

Dave_69

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
I used mine for a class in html markup. That was 1998. I haven't touched it since. I can't even remember the address.

Mysteic

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Personally I was banned from Geocities in 2001 for illegal distribution and hosting of unlicensed image properties.

Geocities, the first place to ban me for committing a crime.

FoShizzleDizzle

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Crazy, I always thought Yahoo had a pretty abundant amount of space for pointless stuff like GeoCities sites. I have a Yahoo e-mail account with over 40,000 unread messages. Sorry GeoCities, when push comes to shove, Yahoo has to make room for my e-mails I don't read.

dilbert

Distinguished
May 11, 2004
I did all my GeoCities pages with the powerful Notepad! Full HTML code. Ah, those times...

Last updated on 1996.

830hobbes

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
[citation][nom]masterasia[/nom]Geocities was my very first homepage back in like 1996-97. It was kinda like social networking. Sad to see it go. I wonder if my old page is still up. I haven't checked it about 10 years.[/citation]

Isn't the whole point of the article that your page is definitely no longer up?

bgd73

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
My geocities account? it was 1999. I was very very newb, I actually used html stuff I found in some folders of my compaq 5600i machine. It had red letters that spun in 3d "compaq". I felt I accomplished something. I hated the cost, I hated the bankruptcy, I hated the whole thing...It stayed there for quite some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.