I have some users using XP SP2 that have their my documents maped to their
home folder and offline folder synchronization set. When a user is working
offline, he opens a document, makes some changes and goes to save it and it
says he can not save because it is read only. It will not let him rename or
save to another location. On the server where the document resides, the file
permissions are set to modify, and the document is not read only. This is
not consistent with just this file, it has happened with other files and not
just Word documents. We have had this happen before, but were unable to find
a resolution.

It sounds like a ownership problem for the sync folder.

HOW TO Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q308421

--
Mark L. Ferguson