Error: "COM initialization failed"

Hello<G>.

Every time I boot up, or re-boot, I get the error: "COM initialization
failed" on my main screen. After a few seconds it goes away (or I can exit
the error message manually) and everything works as it should. Anyway, I was
wondering if this might have something to do with my firewall - ZoneAlarm Pro
v6.0.631.003 which has been having some issues lately - and if so, how can I
fix it. I've been to their forum, and there was one mention of this error
occuring, but no resolution was offered. I have also Googled it, searched
this site (and Microsoft in general) with no mention being made anywhere of
this error or how to correct it. There is no mention of it in event viewer.
Any help would be most welcome.

Thank you.

SurfCook1.

Running:

XP Pro SP2
HP m270n
1GB RAM
200 GB (internal) + 250GB (external) HDD's
Verizon DSL w/ Linksys WRT54c Wireless-G Router

Spybot, AdAware SE Plus, MS Antispyware Beta (active), PestPatrol
ZoneAlarm Pro v6.0.631.003
AVG Pro

Andrew

"SurfCook1" <SurfCook1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello<G>.
>
> Every time I boot up, or re-boot, I get the error: "COM initialization
> failed" on my main screen. After a few seconds it goes away (or I can
> exit
> the error message manually) and everything works as it should. Anyway, I
> was
> wondering if this might have something to do with my firewall - ZoneAlarm
> Pro
> v6.0.631.003 which has been having some issues lately - and if so, how can
> fix it. I've been to their forum, and there was one mention of this error
> occuring, but no resolution was offered. I have also Googled it, searched
> this site (and Microsoft in general) with no mention being made anywhere
> of
> this error or how to correct it. There is no mention of it in event
> viewer.
> Any help would be most welcome.
>
> Thank you.
>
> SurfCook1.
>
> Running:
>
> XP Pro SP2
> HP m270n
> 1GB RAM
> 200 GB (internal) + 250GB (external) HDD's
> Verizon DSL w/ Linksys WRT54c Wireless-G Router
>
> Spybot, AdAware SE Plus, MS Antispyware Beta (active), PestPatrol
> ZoneAlarm Pro v6.0.631.003
> AVG Pro

Check out Control Panel\Administrative Tools\Services and check that the
COM+ service is not set to disabled.

Andy

Hi Andrew. Thanks for quick response!

Both "COM+ Event System" and "COM+ System Application" are set to manual.
COM+ Event System is started, but COM+ System Application was not. After
resarting it, I rebooted, went back into services.msc, and it had stopped. I
then restarted the service, cold-booted this time, with the same result. If
this is, in fact, the cause of the COM error, how would we go about setting
this service to remain started after reboot? I can find plenty of info on
the COM+ service, but nothing relevant as far as this particular error is
concerned.

Again, thank you for your help Andrew. Anything else you can suggest would
really be appreciated.

SurfCook1.

"Andrew" wrote:

> "SurfCook1" <SurfCook1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello<G>.
> >
> > Every time I boot up, or re-boot, I get the error: "COM initialization
> > failed" on my main screen. After a few seconds it goes away (or I can
> > exit
> > the error message manually) and everything works as it should. Anyway, I
> > was
> > wondering if this might have something to do with my firewall - ZoneAlarm
> > Pro
> > v6.0.631.003 which has been having some issues lately - and if so, how can
> > fix it. I've been to their forum, and there was one mention of this error
> > occuring, but no resolution was offered. I have also Googled it, searched
> > this site (and Microsoft in general) with no mention being made anywhere
> > of
> > this error or how to correct it. There is no mention of it in event
> > viewer.
> > Any help would be most welcome.
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > SurfCook1.
> >
> > Running:
> >
> > XP Pro SP2
> > HP m270n
> > 1GB RAM
> > 200 GB (internal) + 250GB (external) HDD's
> > Verizon DSL w/ Linksys WRT54c Wireless-G Router
> >
> > Spybot, AdAware SE Plus, MS Antispyware Beta (active), PestPatrol
> > ZoneAlarm Pro v6.0.631.003
> > AVG Pro
> >

> Check out Control Panel\Administrative Tools\Services and check that the
> COM+ service is not set to disabled.
>
> Andy

Andrew

It might not be the cuase but was aquick stab in the dark. If the service
is not running then Windows would stop the service.

If you go to Start\Runand type MSCONFIG and then go to the startup tab and
click disable all and restart does the erro go away - this will show if it
is a non essential application that is causing the error (when you do this
you will get a message on startup saying something along the lines of using
restricted settings - don't worry about it just click do not show again).
If that clears the problem then go back to MSCONFIG and enable each item in
turn - restarting after each one to in roder to establish the application
that causes the fault.

Post back with more info after trying this.

Andy

> Hi Andrew. Thanks for quick response!
>
> Both "COM+ Event System" and "COM+ System Application" are set to manual.
> COM+ Event System is started, but COM+ System Application was not. After
> resarting it, I rebooted, went back into services.msc, and it had stopped.
> then restarted the service, cold-booted this time, with the same result.
> If
> this is, in fact, the cause of the COM error, how would we go about
> setting
> this service to remain started after reboot? I can find plenty of info on
> the COM+ service, but nothing relevant as far as this particular error is
> concerned.
>
> Again, thank you for your help Andrew. Anything else you can suggest
> would
> really be appreciated.
>
> SurfCook1.
>
> "Andrew" wrote:
>

>> "SurfCook1" <SurfCook1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello<G>.
>> >
>> > Every time I boot up, or re-boot, I get the error: "COM initialization
>> > failed" on my main screen. After a few seconds it goes away (or I can
>> > exit
>> > the error message manually) and everything works as it should. Anyway,
>> > was
>> > wondering if this might have something to do with my firewall -
>> > ZoneAlarm
>> > Pro
>> > v6.0.631.003 which has been having some issues lately - and if so, how
>> > can
>> > fix it. I've been to their forum, and there was one mention of this
>> > error
>> > occuring, but no resolution was offered. I have also Googled it,
>> > searched
>> > this site (and Microsoft in general) with no mention being made
>> > anywhere
>> > of
>> > this error or how to correct it. There is no mention of it in event
>> > viewer.
>> > Any help would be most welcome.
>> >
>> > Thank you.
>> >
>> > SurfCook1.
>> >
>> > Running:
>> >
>> > XP Pro SP2
>> > HP m270n
>> > 1GB RAM
>> > 200 GB (internal) + 250GB (external) HDD's
>> > Verizon DSL w/ Linksys WRT54c Wireless-G Router
>> >
>> > Spybot, AdAware SE Plus, MS Antispyware Beta (active), PestPatrol
>> > ZoneAlarm Pro v6.0.631.003
>> > AVG Pro
>> >

>> Check out Control Panel\Administrative Tools\Services and check that the
>> COM+ service is not set to disabled.
>>
>> Andy

Way to go Andy! That did the trick.

I didn't think about going into startup for this problem. It looks like I
had a little app called "Bootskins" started that may have caused this. All I
usually run at startup are my anti-virus/spyware apps, firewall, Spyware
Guard/Blaster, Hotmaill Popper, and YahooPops - that's it. Not sure why I
had Bootskins set to run at startup - getting senile in my old age, I guess
<BG>. I've been using Stardock/Object Desktop apps for a long time now
without any problems up to this point. I'm going to head on over to their
forum and see what gives, and if this has been an issue with anyone else.
I'll post back to this thread if it has.

Again Andy, thank you so much for taking the time out to help me on this.

Take care...

SurfCook1.

"Andrew" wrote:

> It might not be the cuase but was aquick stab in the dark. If the service
> is not running then Windows would stop the service.
>
> If you go to Start\Runand type MSCONFIG and then go to the startup tab and
> click disable all and restart does the erro go away - this will show if it
> is a non essential application that is causing the error (when you do this
> you will get a message on startup saying something along the lines of using
> restricted settings - don't worry about it just click do not show again).
> If that clears the problem then go back to MSCONFIG and enable each item in
> turn - restarting after each one to in roder to establish the application
> that causes the fault.
>
> Post back with more info after trying this.
>
> Andy
>

> "SurfCook1" <SurfCook1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Andrew. Thanks for quick response!
> >
> > Both "COM+ Event System" and "COM+ System Application" are set to manual.
> > COM+ Event System is started, but COM+ System Application was not. After
> > resarting it, I rebooted, went back into services.msc, and it had stopped.
> > then restarted the service, cold-booted this time, with the same result.
> > If
> > this is, in fact, the cause of the COM error, how would we go about
> > setting
> > this service to remain started after reboot? I can find plenty of info on
> > the COM+ service, but nothing relevant as far as this particular error is
> > concerned.
> >
> > Again, thank you for your help Andrew. Anything else you can suggest
> > would
> > really be appreciated.
> >
> > SurfCook1.
> >
> > "Andrew" wrote:
> >

> >> "SurfCook1" <SurfCook1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> Check out Control Panel\Administrative Tools\Services and check that the
> >> COM+ service is not set to disabled.
> >>
> >> Andy

Andrew

You're welcome.

Andy

> [...]
>> >
>> > Both "COM+ Event System" and "COM+ System Application" are set to
>> > manual.
>> > COM+ Event System is started, but COM+ System Application was not.
>> > After
>> > resarting it, I rebooted, went back into services.msc, and it had
>> > stopped.
>> > then restarted the service, cold-booted this time, with the same
>> > result.
>> > If
>> > this is, in fact, the cause of the COM error, how would we go about
>> > setting
>> > this service to remain started after reboot? I can find plenty of info
>> > on
>> > the COM+ service, but nothing relevant as far as this particular error
>> > is
>> > concerned.
>> >
>> > Again, thank you for your help Andrew. Anything else you can suggest

Latest posts